A True Masterwork

During the last years of her life, Colleen McCollough - the author of The Thorn Birds - wrote The Masters of Rome series of seven historical novels about the last 100 years of the Roman republic, from the rise of Marius to Octavian (the emperor Augustus), beginning with The First Man in Rome. All the maps, sketches, etc. are her work, and they must have involved an enormous amount of research. She also includes interesting reference sections for the reader. I was lucky enough to read the hardbound editions as they appeared - you could follow the rise of Caesar, and a new take on Spartacus’ open rebellion. For anyone with an abiding interest in ancient times, these will easily have you drawing parallels to our society and human nature in general in these times. FYI - Kurt17

If you read David Stake or David Weber’s military sci fi. It’s really alternate versions of famous military campaigns.

1 Like

Interesting and perhaps worth a look.

There is also The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire ~ Edward Gibbon

And The Decline of the American Republic ~ John Flynn

1 Like

Weber and Turtledove and Harrison all offer alternative histories.

1 Like

I’m aware. Seeing as I read all of those authors. Let’s not leave off Colonel Tom Kratman who writes alternate histories on how to fight current counter terror insurgencies, Eric Flynn who rewrote basically every Medieval war in his Ring of Fire series, John Birmingham for an Interesting fusion of future and historical WWII, Steve White for a space opera based off the Spanish Armada.

Let’s just agree we both like to read alot and there’s alot of authors who do what they do.

1 Like