A politically correct Christmas greeting

Christmas means Christmas…MERRY CHRISTMAS for sure. At least for me. :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t mind if someone says “Happy Holidays”, “Hanukkah sameach”, “l’shana tova tikateyvu”…

3 Likes

Thanks. Happy Hanukah?

3 Likes

Christmas starts December 25 and last until the Epiphany. Happy Hanukkah. It starts today. I researched in back in the 90s and found that it started about 800 years ago. But more recent research on the internet reveals that it was observed in the New Testament under an alternate name. The events that led to its observance occurred in about 200 BC. Gift giving seems to have begun in North America in the 1920s.

Christian. Simply do not see Christmas in my Bible. And nothing suggests Christ was born on 25 December. That does not mean I accept the left’s attack on Christmas.

1 Like

You’re absolutely correct. I look at it this way: we commemorate the birth of Jesus on 12/25. While we celebrate his birth on that day, that doesn’t mean it is the exact to-the-day annual anniversary of his birth.

In my family over the years, we have celebrated Christmas as much as a week or two early or late, depending on work and school schedules.

That it isn’t the exact date of Christ’s birth has never bothered me.

3 Likes

You’re correct, We really don’t know what time of year Jesus was born. I believe Tertullian was the first to suggest that the conception was on March 25, making December 25th 9 months later. But there is nothing in Scripture that really sheds much light on it. I figure if the exact date were important , Scripture would tell us, so I guess December 25th is a good a date as any. (I tend to think that a date around Sukkot may be more likely.)

2 Likes

Warning: lots of bleeps.

1 Like

1 Like

Yeah probably will be deleted

Actually, there is evidence in the Bible to show the birth of Christ to be between mid September and mid October.
John and Luke both have verses that can be used to get a rough idea of when. Also consider Jesus was born approximately 6 months after John the Baptist, which would put Jesus’s birth in the fall, mid - late September to mid October. The flocks were still in the fields, and Caesar Augustus issued a decree that would have required fair weather and not winter weather.

December 25 is a date associated with the worship of the ‘Sun’ god, and the Christmas tree is also surrounded with pagan rituals and beliefs.

While we are all free to believe as we want, nothing I can find suggests God or Christ have asked us to celebrate Christ’s birth or to use a pagan holiday for it… even if it is with good intentions.

I do not celebrate Christmas or Easter as both have pagan origins and if you count the days and nights, a Sunday morning rising is simply wrong. Plus the fact there is a weekly Sabbath and an annual Sabbath during the time Christ was crucified.

But I still say Merry Christmas… in part because I dislike the left’s attack on Christmas and Christians.

Neither, as I do not believe in God(s), why would I believe in a “heaven” or a “hell”? If animals just die, and we are animals, why do we not “just” die like the rest? I know, your Bible told you so.

I wish you luck with that. Don’t believe in luck? Well then, that’s that

1 Like

First, we are not just animals, we are created in the image of God (I understand you don’t believe that…). And second, scientific proof supports the Bible. Many scientists want you to think that science contradicts Christianity/the Bible, but that is simply not the case.

2 Likes

I live in a Mediterranean desert climate similar to Israel and the flocks are indeed kept in the fields during Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb. Just sayin’

1 Like

Not superstitious, either, so I just rely on myself. My well-being has nothing to do with a god(s) smiling on me nor on any other superstition. Whatever befalls me is related to any decisions I made (or not) and happenstance, which is not “luck”, good or bad. That frees me from worrying about upsetting some mythic creature and allows me to live, unfettered from fear, in the real world. Which version of reality is true? We will all eventually discover that. No verified account anyone ever went to Hell, except on vacation, and I could not find Heaven on Earth. :sunglasses:

Ok so here’s the fun part, if I die & I’m wrong about God no big deal if you die & are wrong. Ohoh! Never know by living.

Well, the “big deal” for you is that you expected some cosmic retribution for all the perceived wrongs (these people will go to Hell and be punished in perpetuity, or whatever) and a “Heavenly” afterlife. Instead you get a dirtnap, not that you would know that once you’re dead. For me, if their is a god, doesn’t it believe in living a moral and just life, and that “good” people go to Heaven?

That’s not the way the God of Jews and Christians works, but I am sure you didn’t come here for a theology conversation, so I’ll leave it at that. I’m happy to discuss, but it should be in PMs.

3 Likes

Ok but you don’t believe in God so why think that? Do animals live a moral & just life? I’m done here but I wish you well …

I haven’t talked to any, what have they told you. I do know at least several taste good…

I don’t, religious people do. Interestingly, though, religious marriage vows are “until death do us part.” No mention of re-uniting after death. Which is true?