A new approach to "Gun Free Zones"

Just a friendly reminder, the Constitution limits the government, it does not grant rights. A private individual, or company, does not have to honor your rights and cannot violate them, to an extent. If I’m in someone’s house, or toolbox, I can search through their stuff if I think they’ve stolen something of mine. I can also search the boys’ rooms, who are both over 18, without 4th Amendment repercussions. The Constitution in all it’s glory is merely a tool for “We the People” to constrain our government. The fact that so many want the government to hold our hands is another topic.

1 Like

Amen.

This is a topic that makes me a bit frustrated - and that’s an understatement.

2 Likes

Today people appear to be unable to think and fend for themselves so they turn to the government.

Perfect example: Saturday night I rode along with a sheriff buddy, we handled a family disturbance call. No arguing, no physical attack, it was simply a respect thing.

Younger sister wanted the “government” to order her family to RESPECT her. That’s it, the reason she called police was because she felt her family wasn’t respecting her at a family gathering. While the solution is easy for you and me, we’d likely leave or not attend, she didn’t have the tools needed to make that decision. My opinion is she was afraid if she left she’d miss out on the good family gossip.

2 Likes

Wow, I believe the republic was formed for those with common sense. Our government is really not a complex device. We’ve given too much power to “elites”. There’s a reason it was said “for the people, by the people”. The republic form of government requires action by all, it’s not a nanny state. I always enjoyed the story, Benjamin Franklin was approached by a group of citizens asking what sort of government the delegates had created. His answer was: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

2 Likes
  1. That’s not how the government works.
  2. That’s not how respect works.
  3. Where are the parents?

That child should have to do community service to make up for wasting a sheriff’s time. I hope nothing serious happened while the sheriff had to deal with her.

2 Likes

That child was a grown woman with children of her own!

1 Like

OMGosh seriously?
I’m still going with “where were the parents?” As in what the heck did they teach her growing up?
:no_good_woman: :woman_facepalming:

Which is why I try to use the term “enumerated rights”… because some of our unalienable rights are enumerated in the bill of rights while other rights are not.

2 Likes

There’s plenty of us on the same limb. They own the property and we are not entitled to make our own rules on their property.

If they don’t want our business, fine, we can move on down the road but they do have that right.

2 Likes

As Justice Thomas once wrote, “The 2nd Amendment has become a disfavored right”.

A large segment of our populace would just as soon see it repealed.

2 Likes

You have no free speech rights on private property. The protections of the BOR are only intended to protect us from the gov’t interfering with those rights, not each other.

As long as the owner isn’t discriminating against specifically protected groups they are within the law and constitution.

Read up on the history and purpose of the Bill of Rights and it will make a lot more sense.

2 Likes

:open_mouth:

Oh my goodness. Seriously? How did she become an adult with such limited coping skills that she has to call the police when she feels disrespected?

Part of me wants to stand by the “that child” phrase… :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

It was simply amazing to witness.

2 Likes

You’re not wrong. Without adult coping skills she really is/was just a grown child.

3 Likes

BrophE, I stopped at the new BWW not far from me and talked to the manager today. I mentioned there was no gun free sign, he said he knew that and while he did not like open carry, because some people could take offense to it, he had no problem with it and would just ask that it be place in their vehicle if someone complained. I asked about concealed carry, he responded “how would I know”. I asked about the folks from the gun club coming in after a shoot, he said he had no problem with that. I asked if it was a BWW corporate policy to be gun free, he replied “not that he knew of”. How does a manager not know one way or the other?

It almost sounds like you ran into a snowflake or SJW. But I do live in a Open Carry state, a Constitutional Carry state and a permitted Concealed Carry state. You see open carry at Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, Waffle House, most gas stations, Kroger, drug stores, AppleBe’s, KFC, every burger joint, pretty much everywhere except the Dr. Office, Post Office, police stations and court house (all restricted by State law).

Another thing I have noticed is many places that have posted ‘No Gun’ stickers on the door do not have them posted as per the legal code. Which opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.

2 Likes

@Stone BWW bought back all franchises about 3 years ago, now that Arby’s owns them who knows if there will be franchise owners again.

image image

1 Like

You might suggest to the manager that by asking you to go out and leave your gun in the car would be offensive to you and might certainly lead you to take your business elsewhere.

These folks on the left need to figure out we’re not here to please them or make them happy. Freedom and liberty by their very nature mean folks get to do things we don’t like. We’re supposed to all act like adults though and not let those things bother us as long as no one is actually doing us or others harm.

1 Like

A suggested edit.

“We at BWW first and foremost want our customers to have a safe, happy, and pleasant dining experience. To that end, we welcome law abiding gun owners to frequent our establishment to further that end.”

It isn’t the folks carrying a gun on their hip or in a shoulder holster that they need to worry about and anyone intent on shooting the place up isn’t going to care one whit about a no guns sign. Somehow we need to figure out a way to communicate that message to everyone.

1 Like

Zee, I do appreciate
your comments and the thought you put into them. Please don’t take this wrong. You and I agree a lot more than may be obvious.

We should start this by
stating that, unless otherwise specified elsewhere in the Constitution,
Amendments or other laws, the freedom of speech (A1) is really about the Federal
government not limiting what you say or how you can express it. So technically a privately-owned
business can restrict the topics you talk about and how you express yourself. But
it would also be reasonable to say these limits should be pre-defined and
obvious before you do business with them. While 2A is about confirming a pre-existing right, as the Founding Fathers describe as a Natural Right also know as a God-Given Right.

Part of the problem with
the world is everyone agrees that Title VII act restricts what cannot be
discriminated against. People try to live by the letter of the law instead of
the intent of the idea behind it. Pink hair and Tats? That probably doesn’t bother
you or I, it shouldn’t bother anyone. Neither should the discussion of
firearms. Probably none of the things mentioned by you or Dawn would. But I see
it just as wrong to discriminate against people pink hair and tats as I do for
their conservations. By conservations I do mean when kept to a normal level and
in a non-belligerent fashion.

As far as swearing, many
towns have ‘blue laws’ on the books about swearing in public. They are not
usually enforced any more. This is neither a condemnation of that practice or
an acceptance of it but we both know it goes on too much and too loudly. Offensive language
generally has to be pretty belligerent and loud before someone gets asked to
leave.

In the BWW comments by
BrohP (I hope I have that right but have a hard time navigating social media
stuff), he mentioned no firearms were seen and their conversation wasn’t taking
place near other customers. Even if it was, should the manager have asked them
to leave or keep it down. Or was it the waiter that decided he didn’t like the
conservation? Much of this has to do with things we don’t know. Who exactly made
the complaint, what the exact complaint was etc. But this feels too much like
the Sarah Sanders being asked to leave a restaurant thing to me.

As far as the carriers
discussing cars, Bro mentions no firearms were displayed, if they were asked to
leave for discussing cars, how would anyone know they are carrying? That falls
back on why they were asked, probably the 1A. 2A if firearms were seen. Talking
about Fords would be bad enough I guess, but Dodges should be ok? Or is it cars
in general and motorcycles are ok. This falls back into the First Amendment. And
it falls back to what should be acceptable and what is not should not being defined. Should
talking about the Crimson Tide get you asked to leave a restaurant next to
Georgia Tech? It might.

Cutting to the chase, we
both agree that people have right to set their boundaries. Those should be well
planed and laid out so people can identify them. Boundaries should be respected
to the extent of the law. You also mention that, like I do, you would comply
and then let management know that you feel their policy and actions were
incorrect. That they will lose your business. Then, in my case, a notice of the
event would be posted at the gun range, sent out by e-mail and posted at the local
gun shop, in hope that other gun owners would let the business know they have
lost their business as well.

Still I believe we face
a discrimination when we shouldn’t have too. Since we are not covered by Title
VII, many people believe they can do as they please. We need to work together
to find a way to overcome the stigmatism that has been place on our lifestyle
by the lame stream news media and many of the left leaning politicians (and a
couple of the right leaning ones). That is one reason I like to go into the
businesses posted as gun free ahead of time to talk with them, some folks can
be quite reasonable, other just won’t get your business. Yep, I was at the new BWW
today. Left with no problems and with a manager that gave us his blessing for
coming in concealed carrying.

2 Likes

This is interesting. I’ve openly carried into Arby’s over the last five years at least a dozen times. never a problem.

The sign you have in the e-mail abovet, was not at BWW today. Though I thought it odd the manager didn’t know of a Gun Free policy. It may have become like Outback Steak House where it is left up to the local franchise.

1 Like