A good 30-06

Duck and goose breast makes awesome jerky as long as you dont get it too dry…

3 Likes

There is a lot of local folks that deer hunt with a 6.5. I held, but not shot, a 6.5 christensen carbon fiber rifle. Way light. 2400.00 price tag. Way nice.

2 Likes

Many moons ago…younger days, with having elk fever, I missed a shot at a huge bull…one of the largest I have witnessed…safety was in the on position. The elk and I were safe, and beyond.

I believe it. I remember my uncle Kenney telling a story about a group of coyotes off the back side of his farm. They had been coming around a few nights in a row stalking just chicken. His brother had loaded some 30-06 for him that where to the max. He was going on a moose trip in a few weeks after the incident. His brother said these will take down the biggest one.

So the night in question, Kenney heard the coyote out there hollering. The sun was half set behind Kenney’s back. He thought “there far out there” , so he decided to try one of these max loads. He shot and seen one drop and the others run off. He goes to bed.

The next morning sun is rising. He decides to have a look. He gets out there and realizes he didn’t hit just one coyote, he hit two and the second one looked exploded.

No I was not there so I did not see this but my uncle Kenny was a straight shooter. And I mean he didn’t speak a lot of BS.

2 Likes

If you are going to deer hunt with a .357 revolver, keep your shots to “bow hunting” distances. 75 to 100 yards is about as far as you would want to take a shot, and ensure an ethical kill. For how far YOU can do it. Use a standard paper plate as a target. Whatever distance you can consistently hit the paper plate, is what range you should stay within.

6 Likes

Well I am a patient soul. I can sit in one spot all day. I can wait till he gets right up on me. Then boom! Got cha… I doubt that’ll work. But it’s nice to dream.

2 Likes