A day at the range

I had a few things to work on today. First I wanted to try a compensator on my 9 mm just to see if I liked it or not. I carry the SIG P365 XL and the first two shots I kind of liked it. Then, it locked up! I had to struggle with it to clear it. I went back to shooting and again it locked up. The slide is closed and it ejected the casing but did not load another round. Now, we could troubleshoot this or do like I did, I put my original barrel back on it and I feel much better about it. Now that was the first run of events.
Secondly, I have a Kimber Ultra Carry .45 that has had a problem of not loading the rounds. I first used the old magazine and I used my reloads in it. I had no problems at all. I rotated the magazine to a new magazine and went on to shoot it when low and behold, it failed to chamber the round. So, it is the new magazines that have to be worked on to alleviate this diabolical mishap. I re-attempted to double check the older mags and at 30 feet I managed nine shots into the 6 inch black of the target and only one within the 8 inch circle. All went well with the older magazine.
I did about 50 rounds of 9 mm reloads and tested them out to see if they shot well. I am at the mind set that, well, they did shoot but, I need to see what the fps are to really come to a final decision on those. So, off to make an order from Midway USA!
I share these in hopes it might help out someone and give inspiration that there are people still out there training. I am running into many people that want to take gun classes and all the classes are booked up months ahead at this time. I am hoping to figure out where I can have my own range to teach classes. I have people asking me and I can not help anyone out because, I do not have a range to teach at.

2 Likes

Nice post.

My range is an hour from Austin, but most city folk don’t like traveling more than 10 or 15 minutes from home.
This being said, I still have open dates, on the calendar and open for private classes.

Weird how things go.

4 Likes

Oh there are a LOT of folks training and shooting. More than ever actually! Just attended a CC class for about 25 folks to talk to them about the USCCA today and tomorrow I’m teaching/certifying an 18 person CC class. I have basically no weekends available except Holidays through the rest of the year and I’m scheduling a lot weekday classes as soon as the idiot governor of our rolls back his SECOND round of COVID nonsense…

4 Likes

This is good to hear. I have looked at classes around here and they are booked up till January. I do not have a range to train at so I am in Limbo and it sucks!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. I’m lucky my main range is less than a mile from my house as the crow flies and the owner has given me total control over running classes there, and I just got two other ranges to work out of so when this COVID stuff ends I’ll be really busy locally.

2 Likes

I’m currently 1,250 miles away from home. I drove another 35 miles to an outdoor range yesterday. I encourage everyone to treat themselves to one trip a month to the range.

4 Likes

I put a compensator on my S&W. It seems to lessen recoil from either the added weight, design or both. The big plus is that its sooooo flipping easy the remove because it is also the bushing. I use the backside of a drill
bit to depress the spring & it twists off/on smooth as silk.

6 Likes

headed out tomorrow or Friday to try out the new suppressed ar pistol in .300 AAC, the .450 bushmaster build, and some regular practice with .45 reloads. And try out the new suppressor on the .22 buckmark.
I’m building my own subsonic loads for the blackout from .223 brass I’ve cut down, resized, etc. the money saved is really something, although I freely admit that concept (money saved to get more shooting in) is flawed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How noticeable is the effect on recoil? I have a little shield in .45 with a ported barrel–I was amazed how much that helped.

1 Like

Aaron25 I have the Shield 45 performance center and agree it is not much kick at all, my Ruger EC9s bucks more

2 Likes