8 round .45 magazines for 1911

My 1911 is changing roles from a range gun to a 2nd carry gun.
I have plenty of 7 round mags but no 8 round mags.
I’ve heard that the only reliable 8 round mags will have extended tubes for 8+1.(CA has a 10 round limit)
I’d like to avoid extended tubes because concealing even a slightly longer grip isn’t an option I want to explore.
What 8 round magazines do you recommend? It’ll be for carrying so reliability is important,

2 Likes

All five of my 8 round mags extend past the grip, but I believe all mine are promags though.

1 Like

IMHO Bill Wilson 8 rounders, best mags around. Used for all my 45’s. After 11 years of constant use I just replaced the springs. That’s durability. FYI I shoot twice a week roughly 400 rounds a week, that’s a lot of mag usage.

3 Likes

Without the base pad,will it fit flush?

1 Like

I think they can be purchased with flat base pad, might want to look deeper into what Wilson can offer. Personally I prefer the base pad and it never gets in the way of my carry piece.
I’ve used the base pad as a quick identifier to the current load that’s in my firearms. I’ve painted the back base red for defensive and blue for ball ammunition. It’s just the way I roll.
On a continuing personal note, I have pinched myself too many times to go back to flat bases.

2 Likes

Wilson Combat #47DC is a very low profile base maybe 3/16”
From Wilson Combat website,
Polymer baseplates can break if you drop a loaded magazine on a hard surface. We recommend metal baseplates for hard use.

2 Likes

I have A bunch of Wilson, Cobra, McCormick Match and Kimber Pro-Tac 8 round mags. The McCormick and Kimbers are flush mags. They all run flawlessly. Buy quality good brand mags and they will just work.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll look into those.

1 Like

Chip McCormick has them. https://www.cmproducts.com/Match-Grade-Full-Size-1911-45-ACP-8-Round-Stainless_p_201.html

1 Like

Yep, those are good mags. I have a bunch of them and recommend them often to friends. They’ve never disappoint. I will say they are a little harder to do a tactical reload with than a typical 7 rounder or a mag with an extended base like a Wilson Combat when they are at full capacity but you just need to smack them pretty good into the mag well and you are good to go. If the bothers you then my solution is to carry the gun with a flush CMC for help in concealment and my reload mag is a WC for an easy reload.

2 Likes

You can also get a slim basepad that screws onto the McCormick mags if you want something in between.