5.56 and 9mm alternatives during ammo crisis

I bought an auto loader that can easily and quickly switch between different calibers.

2 Likes

Yep frustrating, I’m going to recommend a different spin on this…Us old farts remember when the tactical rifle of the day was a Winchester96, 30-30. Jeff Cooper even recommended it as a platform for his scout rifle. I also know one or two Cowboy Action shooters I would not want to go up against even with an m4 & glock 19. Just saying don’t count out the oldies.

3 Likes

I can only speak to the 9mm aspect. I have .357 Sig, .40, & .45 in addition to 9mm. So, I have a few options in addition to the 9mm. If your range has rental firearms, rent the various option and see which feels best for you. Yes, it is cool having a .45. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Jerry1 Yup, I love my Marlin 30-30. I have had it since 1983 and have taken about 50 deer with it and have not had to shoot one more then once. I usually used Remington Core locked 150grn. for many years and would shoot a 5 inch group at 200yds. I thought that was pretty good.
When Hornaday came out with the Lever evolution 160grn. I gave them a try and now they are what I shoot.
I sight it in at 3ins. high at 100yds and its dead on at 200yds. and drops 11 inch’s at 300yds. I fired a 3 shot
3 inch group at 300yds. I have a Duplex crosshair on my scope and using the lower part of the crosshair I can drop it right in there at 300yds.
I was concerned about the Microgroove barrel on the Marlin but I haven’t had a problem.
So, do not discount the lowly 30-30. :+1: I keep 500rnds. on hand that I bought when they were cheap.

4 Likes

I wish it was my garage brother. :hushed::wink:

5 Likes

Nice, wish the crazy people didn’t raid the stores and buy all their ammo haha!

4 Likes

No, it’s mine! How did you get in there?

4 Likes

I’ve just hacked your garage camera… :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

I’m coping by dry-fire, and being judiscious with rounds fired at the range. And I’ve switched to shooting more .22LR.

As far as advice if you want to keep shooting…

You can still get 7.62x39, and it’s in the $0.30-0.40/cpr range. Which is half what you’ll pay for 5.56 ammo (and more inline with typical 5.56 prices you are probably used to). If you don’t mind a different platform, have a look at AK47 for a good fighting rifle, or an SKS if you want something a little more “might pass for a hunting rifle”.

.22LR is still available and pretty cheap. For rifles you can get a .22lr conversion for your AR (or just buy an AR in .22) if you want to keep the same platform. Otherwise something like a Ruger 10/22 is inexpensive and super fun. For pistols, there are a ton of pistols that “match” their duty-caliber siblings or a target pistol

5 Likes

Nah, Mines the one with the yellow tape.

Those are empty ammo cans stacked by prizoners for $1 a day. As some folks know ammo pallets are stacked 6 X 4 X 6 (which equals a gross = 144 cans) [this can vary on the ammo type and the delivery vehicle] and all the handles point the same way so that you can ensure the integrity of the lead seals.

I try to stack mine only two deep and no more than eight tall as it seems I always need what’s in the bottom can.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

I’ve been mostly shooting 22lr and 224 valkyrie this year. Both have been easy to replenish, and not much more costly than last year. Also haven’t ran into purchase limits.

2 Likes

I got lucky. Couldn’t find any ammo in the usual sizes, but no one has yet run out of .30-06.

1 Like

Much like others, I saw the prices that 7.62 x 39 were/are going for, and picked up a PSAK-47 from PSA, and 2K rounds for about $650. It’s tough to find 1K of .223 or 5.56 for that price. I went back and forth (e.g., "B-but an AR-15 can shoot further and so on and so forth) until a buddy pointed out that if you’re routinely shooting at anything greater than 300m or so, you’re likely not doing it with either an AK or an AR.

4 Likes

It works for trades for what you might need.

1 Like

I had earlier in this thread touted my new buddy. The 6.5 Grendel. Sadly, now, it is very difficult to find. We are in uncharted waters here folks.

2 Likes