5.56 and 9mm alternatives during ammo crisis

Question is in the title. 5.56 went from everywhere to nowhere. As such what alternatives have you all been considering, or have already?

For me, I defaulted to .308 simply because it was my only readily available alternatives as far as immediate access to an AR-10, mags, and ammo which is still (sorta kinda) possible to find. Not a bad option considering that nothing says battle round quite like a .308.

I have a short barrel 300 blk, but the ammo is even rarer then 5.56 these days, so that’s out. Other rounds I thought about are 6.5 Grendel (also rare cause they don’t make much), and 224 Valkery or 6 ARC, bother of which are kinda expensive and aren’t mass produced.

Like I said .308 is as good as it seems to get these days. Could be worse, a lot worse.

I don’t keep an eye on 7.62x39, so I wouldn’t know the situation on those. Good round though.

… I miss 5.55 already :sob::sob::sob:

On 9mm, well, it’s the only pistol round I shoot :grimacing:. Yeah… and it’s gone :pleading_face:. The closest alternatives are all more expensive, like 357 sig. 40 might make a comeback, it’s an okay round. If I get a new pistol though, I’m thinking 45 ACP. I don’t know, I’ve always respected it. Maybe not the best choice well into the 21st century, but damn it must be cool to own a 45.

Thoughts? Opinions? Let’s hear them :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

I saw the writing on the wall rather soon after things started… I was able to get my 9mm to a very healthy amount, but by the time I felt the need to get an AR (because of democrat sponsored riots) 223 was harder to get… sources say its not gonna get easier any time soon.

6 Likes

All I can say is both those calibers are scarce. I call Bass pro yesterday and they just ran out some brand they had in stock $19.00 box of 100 9mm called Herter’s Target Handgun Ammo

2 Likes

My new favorite AR caliber is the amazing 6.5 Grendel. Accurate and hard hitting round that uses the AR 15 platform. I got into it a few months ago by getting an upper. I have actually been able to get plenty of ammo for it. Only just recently has it been even sort of scarce. I have gotten ammo for it as recently as two weeks ago.

I guess I have turned into a Grendel cheerleader. Lol.

7 Likes

:scream: is it still possible, $0.19 per round?

I’ve been using Herter’s many times. Good ammo, never had a reason to complain about it. If you are lucky to find “Made in Czech” version, you will shoot regular “Sellier & Bellot” ammo :wink:

The only reason to find 9mm replacement is the :moneybag: . 9mm is still available on Internet stores.

4 Likes

Go to AMMOSEEK.com to find whatever you need

4 Likes

@Tyler35 You simply can not go wrong with a .308. I have an AK and like the 7.62x39, as hard to find as 5.56.
The .45 has been around for 109 yrs. it’s not going away for another 91 yrs. Love my 1911. :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

Thanks for the info @Jerzees I never heard of it but I’m going to see if I check it out this weekend. I’m glad you heard of them and give them a :+1::+1:.

2 Likes

It is cool to own a .45, I have more than 5 of them and less than 20. My wife even carries a .45 and my daughter liked her mother’s .45 so much I’m thinking I’m going to be losing a .45 to her

3 Likes

I managed to put away enough 5.56, 9 and 45 to keep me going for a while but, have become somewhat judicious in it’s use. I hope I don’t get too rusty. :grimacing:
What I did find, though, is that I just LOVE benchrest rimfire matches! It’s even carried over and improved other aspects of rifle shooting. 22 is still pretty available here, just not the $3.50 / box stuff.

4 Likes

I’ve seen some of both here and there; saw some Speer Gold Dot 124gr, but they’re really charging for it. I’m like many others here who have responded; I picked up a firearm at a local dealer in May, and he had “tons” of 5.56, many brands of 9mm. Now they don’t even know when they’ll get any 9mm in.
Ammotogo, Wilson Combat both have 9mm, but very expensive, and of course this is time sensitive, so they may have none right now. Wilson was supposed to get a new shipment end of month, but it’s expensive. Good luck all !

3 Likes

I really need my 9mm ammo. Thankfully, I have about 2 boxes left.

2 Likes

yes, I keep an eye open here and order when it’s available. I recently found a case of 5.56 for under .60 per round. score!
I have also signed up on a number of sites for “Let me know when this is in stock”. this has also proven effective as I picked up an extra 500 9mm at standard prices (.18/rd) simply by being patient

2 Likes

Kids… 2 boxes? I still got 2,000 rounds :grin:

Ok…perhaps I’m the crazy person here… :zipper_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Amateur. :yum: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have enough 9mm to feed my ONE 9mm. 45, well lets just say my bunker stocks of that and 5.56 and 308 would make most people and Fire Departments uncomfortable.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

reminds me of a news story in Omaha, a guy was stopped by police for speeding and had an arsenal of weapons (legally, 2 pistols, 1 rifle and 250 rounds of ammo)… I laughed so hard… just the lame-stream trying to misinform and scare the public. A pox on them.

3 Likes

@Danny28 Ohh Dude they would loose their minds if they popped me going to hunting camp for a week. Press, Primers, Powder, Brass, Boolits, Chonograph, Spotting Scope, Steel, A-Frame’s and “stuff”.

Day 1: Kill a deer
Day 2: Clean and pack deer, Load development on multiple platforms, kill deer if stupid
Day 3: Load development on multiple platforms, kill deer if stupid
Day 4: Load development on multiple platforms, hunt morning and evening, kill deer if needed
Day 5: Load development on multiple platforms, hunt morning and evening, kill deer if needed
Day 6: Load development on multiple platforms, hunt morning and evening , kill deer if needed
Day 7; Wander around the woods with no particular place to go., kill deer if really needed .

Nice and easy.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

See some 7.62 at classic firearms now & then.Wolf or tins mostly. Can get an ak too but cost is a thing

1 Like

Yeap… I know.
Is this your garage?
A_20200929_03

:wink:

5 Likes

I bought an auto loader that can easily and quickly switch between different calibers.

2 Likes