22lr or .380 for my wife who is just getting into guns?

So its been a long road with the wife getting her to this point. All i had to do is show her the lcp 2 in 22lr. As im thrilled she has gotten to this point, im thinking do i go with what she will use? Or try and talk her into a .380? It will be a carry gun…

10 Likes

I have the 380 brother and I love it. Nice pocket pistol. But you can get other holsters for it.

4 Likes

A .22 is a lot better than a .00.

9 Likes

Yes Sir! I was kinda shocked… Went from no to let me hold yours…to do they make them smaller…to yea i wouldnt mind that. I even showed her a hot pink and black one thinking perfect… “I DONT LIKE THAT I WANT ALL BLACK SO IT DOSENT LOOK LIKE A TOY!” ALRIGHT WELL THATS WHAT YOULL GET THEN.

12 Likes

FWIW-- it took awhile for my wife to come around. She did not like my LCP because she had trouble working the slide. Rather than push her to practice doing it I let her shoot one of my revolvers. She really like them and especially liked shooting single action. I bought her a LCRx in .38 spl+P 1.87 barrel so she could shoot double and single action. You can also get the LCRx in .22WMR. Anyway, I got her what she ‘liked’ figuring we could grow from there.

7 Likes

She will know the right gun for her when she holds and shoots it.

5 Likes

Happy wife, happy life.
Get her the one she likes and will shoot.
She will grow from there and on your 50th together you can get her that desert eagle you have always wanted her to have…:grin:

5 Likes

Start with a 22 before the 380. I love my 380!

6 Likes

LCP slides are a pain in the ass.

I’ve been through a LOT of testing out carry guns… my ego tells me it’s “as much as anyone who isn’t a paid reviewer” …

I also don’t like the sights (or lack of them … you get a blade and a notch, with no markings, on the slide…built permanently into the slide.

That said, @ approx $100-250, TO ME, it’d be worth getting for a spouse to let them see what they like/don’t like personally.

Expect to do a trade-in, though.

.22LR I think can be plenty capable with the right training and probably a little bit of luck.

5 Likes

A 22lr is better then a pointy stick. A 380 is better then a 22LR. A 9mm is better then a .380. A 240 Bravo is better then a 9mm. A 240B mounted on an Abrams M1A2 is better than anything else on the ground.

13 Likes

I changed the title of this topic to be about the topic for more direct conversation about the question at hand.
~Dawn

5 Likes

Well then my response might be a little over the top! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Ok thank you Dawn!

2 Likes

When you figure or how to conceal carry that 240, let me know!

4 Likes

A .22 is always a great gun to have - economical to shoot and train with. In other words, if she chooses to go up in caliber later, it will still be useful to have. If she doesn’t, that’s fine too.

5 Likes

Slightly better than a pointed stick I have a Beretta 950B .22 Short. It was given to me by a family member. I’ve shot it a few times and the 'lil gun seems flawless. Still like a pointed stick it’s probably best for sticking it in the ear to stop a attack. If I run into a angry Griz while trout fishing I may stick it in my own ear,

6 Likes

I’d seriously consider the .22 esp if they make the same pistol in .380- nice upgrade later after she masters the .22

4 Likes

No need to carry the 240 concealed. No one is going to confront you.

4 Likes

The last time i went out to CA was in 2017 when my son was discharged from the Marine Corps. He was stationed at MCAGCC Twentynine Palms (The Stumps) and was officially discharged the Friday before Mother’s Day. Becky and I Flew to Vegas and drove down to the Stumps for his dispensation and pack him up. We went to SD for the weekend. Tommy and I took Becky to the Airport and returned the rental car and then he and I started I drive back to Louisville.
Before going out, I was checking out all the crazy laws in CA and which cities had mag capacity bans of less then 10. I ended up taking the Glock 42. I mentioned it to Butch, my firearms instructor and he said, "its better to have the sissy poodle popper than go there with a pointy stick. Reminded me of Tommy Lee Jones in "U.S. Marshalls, “Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol.”

6 Likes

I have .380’s. that are easier than my .22s. I have a mosquito that is so temperamental. Its a pain. But my Glock 42 is super easy to shoot. It also the easiest gun I own to clean. The Walther PK.380 is the easiest to shoot of all my guns. But Its not as reliable. a .22 probably won’t stop someone, but neither will a .380 in some instances. I say let her decide. if she is more comfortable with a .22 she will be able to shoot more rounds in succession and that could be needed with the lower caliber guns.

5 Likes