20 vs 12 gauge

Thank you again for the question and an opportunity to learn. I’m familiar with birdshot, but not so familiar with buckshot categories. You helped me find that out. For those not familiar, I found the below helpful. Good to keep learning. Shotguns are awesome.

2 Likes

For HD?
Choose one or the other, not both.
Buy only the ammo in the gauge that your shotgun is chambered for.
Keeping stocks of more than one gauge is inviting disaster
Either will launch Buck with authority and the recipient certainly won’t know the difference,
The worse case scenario is when you chamber a 20ga shell in a 12 ga gun, nothing happens and then you load a 12 ga. shell, turning your shotgun into a bomb.

Don’t do that.

Skeet shooters often shoot a variety of gauges as serious competition demands, but they are more “with it” than your average gunnerman.
For HD that’s not what’s at issue.

Out of curiosity:
Do those of you who have a shotgun for home defense keep the same type of ammo loaded in it? Or is there an “escalation of ammo” in your magazine?

I’m not looking to start an argument either way, just curious if anyone purposely loads their shotgun with different types of rounds.

1 Like

No, 5 rounds of steel T-shot (54 .20cal pellets) in the gun and 3 Slugs and 2 OO Buck in a 5 round
stock holder. :us:

1 Like

I do have a shotgun in a quick safe in the home, though it is not intended to be a first choice, generally. But, it should be up to the task.

Cruiser ready (empty chamber, bolt forward, safety on). Tube filled with a tight patterning 00 buck. Side saddle with 2 more shells of buck and also 2 slugs. Brass up on the slugs and brass down on the buck (for consistent differentiation in addition to appearance, and anticipate most likely using buck to feed the tube vs slug to feed the chamber but really, they are on the gun so that’s what matters for availability)

3 Likes

For HD I keep 00 Buck.
Old habits die hard.

3 Likes

#4 buck, 00 buck, then slug. If we get to number 3, then the bovine excrement has definitely hit the fan.

2 Likes

Ya I am partial to the Ithaca 37 in 12 Ga rifle sites and smooth bore
throws the Lyman 525 gr slug in a nice tight group out to 100 yards
as for 00 buck I use a 6 pellet load @ about 1550fps
little to no recoil with that 1 oz load

Mike

1 Like

looking for another 37 to customize with a pistol grip and a looped front grip
just not too many of them up here in the Keweenaw

Mike

1 Like

BTW the closest neighbors are a half mile a way :smile:

Mike

2 Likes

Honestly i think the recoil from a shot gun is far less vs. a hunting rifle.

2 Likes

That depends a lot on ammo choices. I’ll stick with mostly “defensive” loads. 2 3/4 number 4 buck, is a lot less than a slug. 2 3/4 00 is closer to a 2 3/4 slug, but, 3 inch high brass loads really pack a wallop. 3 inch slugs, well, I’d rather a 308 over that. I can handle the big boys, but my wife can’t even come close. My son, who shoots trap with my 12 gauge, would have a hard time with 3 inch slugs. And he shoots shotgun easily 5 times as much as I do. I wouldn’t say calibers like .308, and 6.5 Creedmor are the threshold for what is being used defensively. There might be a select handful of people that fall into the “this is the only gun I have” using “magnum” caliber rifles, but, it’s a very, very limited number. Most of those folks probably choose a shotgun if they can only afford 1 gun. Statistically speaking.

4 Likes

Depends on which “hunting rifle” and which shotgun (with which shell) you are comparing to.

A single shot break action 12 gauge shotgun with a hardwood stock firing a slug is going to far more perceived recoil than, say, a .30-30 lever action being used to take a deer. Even a pump 12 gauge with recoil pad and strong buck/slugs will outrecoil the -30

If however you compare a heavy, gas operated semi auto shotgun that’s well broken in firing target loads or reduced recoil buckshot vs, say, a lightweight minimalist 300 win mag…

3 Likes

Just fyi-there have been a number of tests (Ck. out MAC) showing that .223, even frangible rounds) will shoot through siding, particle board, 2” gap then drywall; another 2” gap, another 1/2” drywall, etc, etc up to and including enough sheets to represent Four interior walls AND an exterior wall! A rifle is a very poor choice for home defense, esp in apartment or condo settings. Do your homework. If you still believe that it’s not a problem, set up your OWN target simulating walls and give it a try. You WILL be amazed at how far a rifle round will penetrate. Be careful out there.

1 Like

Anything that penetrates bad guys enough to reliably stop them will penetrate walls dangerously like that.

2 Likes

I forgot about this thread.
I do like 20 gauge. I think it’s overlooked as a home defense option.
Not sure if it’s cause or effect, but it’s also kind of hard to find in my area.

1 Like

I don’t disagree. I was saying if a hunting rifle was all you had, then you make do with what you’ve got.
When I think of an AR pattern rifle for home defense, I’m thinking pistol caliber carbines. Yes, ammo selection is still critical. As is knowing the target, AND what is beyond it. What’s on the other side of that wall? Could be open space. Could be the neighbors house. Could be your kids room.

1 Like

I admire your interests NJStraightShooter.

I started out with grandpa’s old .22 rifle, then got into handguns EDC, hobby.

I most recently began small game hunting which led me into shotguns, .410. Gets me out there walking, which I really need to do more, fun, relaxation, and a form of exercise for me.

I ordered a .20 gauge, surprisingly more affordable for me.

I was amazed on the variety of calibers, and learned about bird shot, buck shot, and slug shot.

Though currently, for my lil hunts, I mainly need bird shot. In the future, I may save up for a higher cost shotgun which allows for changing of the chokes:

Chokes Breakdown

• Cylinder – 40-inch spread at approx. 25 yards
  • Improved Cylinder – 40-inch spread at approx. 30 yards
  • Modified – 40-inch spread at approx. 35 yards

https://www.hunter-ed.com/pennsylvania/studyGuide/Types-of-Chokes/20103901_88444/

I’m ok with mine being a full choke as a fixed/permanent. But next time I’ll spend more for one which offers multiple chokes so I can change up the type of ammo I can use, for versatility.

For those who are not aware. Use great safety care when selecting which type of ammo one uses. The more experts here, please chime in my crude basic understanding:

For example, I personally would not want to ever put a slug in my full choke which is too narrow and tight, it would damage my shotgun and hurt anyone close by including me from an exploding shotgun, I think.

I’d only use bird shot in a full choke.

Buckshots, personally I would not want to use in a full choke, to me - risky.

What I have noticed about skeet shooting, and using birdshot is some outdoor ranges are available locally to me and offer such type of ammo only for practice.

Whereas indoor ranges I have seen only offer slug shot. Hence, another nice thing about having a model that allows for changing of different types of chokes onto one shotgun.

Gauges

Signed,

student

1 Like