Home defense ammo 20 gauge

what ammo type is best for home defense for 20 gauge?

6 Likes

@Isaak Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you here. :slightly_smiling_face:

I would choose 2 3/4 or 3 inch #3 or #4 buckshot over birdshot or 2 3/4 inch slugs if I had a choice. :+1:

7 Likes

More info on this subject.

12GA vs 20GA…buckshot vs birdshot - Guns & Gear - USCCA Community (usconcealedcarry.com)

5 Likes

Buckshot that you have access to and have tested the pattern and function of in your gun.

IMO.

If you live rural there may be a use case for slugs, but, pretty generally…buckshot.

5 Likes

Brass Fetcher has a pretty good video showing shot shell comparison at the link above. Granted, it is all 12 gauge, but you can see the difference between all the different sizes of shot.

In My Wife’s 20 gauge, we have it full of #4 Buck and a few slugs in a shell carrier on the right side of her stock. More #4 buck in a shell carrier on the left side of her receiver.

By all means, pattern your chosen ammo. Measure out the longest distance you may be shooting inside your home, get some targets, set them up at different distances up to the maximum distance you will be shooting inside your home and shoot the targets with the ammo you choose. In our home, the #4 buck in her gun will give about a 6 inch spread at 30 feet. That is the longest distance I will shoot inside my home. 00 from my 12 gauge cylinder bore with 18.5 barrel will spread to about 4 inches in that distance.

3 Likes

That’s why I like the idea of my KelTec KSG 15. One receiver with 7 slugs, the other receiver with 7 00 buck.

3 Likes

Love a KSG. Being able to select which load you want is a big plus and the 14+1 capacity is plenty to end a home invasion shootout.

2 Likes

I have the Kel-Tek KSG as well…7 slug, 8 buckshot.

Here is an interesting video on 12ga with buckshot, slugs and birdshot.

1 Like

This is a new option using the Federal flight control wad with #2 buckshot. It could end up being an excellent option for short range home defense for a 20 gauge shotgun. Should minimize the chance of over penetration through walls as well as have a very tight pattern to decrease the chances of some of the pellets missing the target and hitting something you don’t want them to.

I wonder if they will eventually come out with a 12 gauge option?

5 Likes

Federal Flitecontrol is highly respected by my local LE Agencies. Just sayin’.
No one on the receiving end of a shot swarm will notice if it’s coming from a 12 or a 20 gauge,
or if it’s 00B or #4B.
Pattern your gun and shells.
FWIW, I picked up a couple of 25 round boxes of Estate buckshot and called it good. YMMV of course

5 Likes

I hear ya partner. Soon as I got a 20 g, I first made sure it would allow/accept interchangeable chokes: ie Cylinder, Modified, & Full, so I can use various types ammo, slug, buck and bird. Then got me a couple boxes of each ammo, as back up, if I ever, God Forbid, needed to use for SD, as opposed to just hunting. Bit of peace of mind, having a lil extra than just my one side arm - for my family.

3 Likes

Agree with all the #4 or #2 buck. I would highly recommend 3” from my experience the punch of 2 3/4 is no even close. For inside the house use the most open choke you have.

I love the 20 gauge. It is my go to bird gun but they are also great for one defense. Enjoy.

3 Likes