20 vs 12 gauge

That is what I have. Dad’s old Ithaca model 37 featherlight full choke 36" barrel.

3 Likes

Most members at a club will be more than willing to let you try their shotgun, check them all out and ask a lot of questions. I like my over and under 20 gauge on some days when shooting trap, but skeet and 5 stand I want my Ithaca #37, we all like what we like, and sometimes there’s no really good reason for it, it’s just a personal preference. Good luck bud, hope you get what your looking for.

4 Likes

I’ve collected them over the years, I now have 4 or 5 of them from all different era’s in time. My dad had one as well, that’s where I learned about this very versatile shotgun that’s was used in law enforcement, also used in a few wars as well. Great piece of history.

2 Likes

Thank You very much @Steve-G. I think I am going to have to find or buy a Shotgun Encyclopedia as so many new terms have arisen. :rofl: For example: Choke. Have no idea what that means or if I need to perform the Heimlich Maneuver for that condition. :wink:

Do you know of a good online source for Shotgun Information for newbies?

3 Likes

PS - I found two simplistic websites that answered some of those questions. I guess I will continue this discussion at our Gun Club’s store with the owner.

1 Like

Me and my two boys have been teaching for a number of years to my grandkids (Male & Female) starting with 4/10 or the 20 ga. Eventually they graduate into the 12 ga. and then still go back to the 20 ga. for deer hunting or just crow hunting. We all love are guns whether it be shotguns or rifles and practice safety every time we are out plinking or hunting! Be Safe out there no matter what you are doing! We also love to Bowhunt, which I’ve been at it since about 1960. Lots of Fun!

2 Likes

As I get older, I am less willing to absorb a lot of recoil. Too much hunting/shooting still to do.

I prefer 20 ga for all…hunting, clay shooting, etc. I have given my 12 away and don’t miss it. However, 20 ga ammo is hard to get these days.

Have taken hogs and coyotes with 20 ga 000 buck. Works just fine. Also taken lots of dove (with appropriate bird shot).

Also enjoying 5.56/223 and 22LR. Makes for fun days at the range or in the field.

1 Like

Mr. Steve, I agree. The right tool for the right Job. I was a avid crow hunter to say the very least, more like a crow nut. It seemed I could never bring enough amo with me and I favored a 12 gauge auto loader for less recoil and faster shots. Problem was that if I didn’t keep on top of cleaning because I did so much shooting I would have function problems, until I started using my Benelli that I got for goose hunting. I didn’t use it for crow hunting because a shorter Barrel is easier to use from a blind. The Benelli is recoil operated not gas operated and requires little or no cleaning. It was hell on wheels for Geese. At that time ( many years ago ) I wanted a shorter barrel for the Super 90 but they were $ 500. bucks. My favorite small game shotgun is a Ithaca SKB by side single gold filled selectable rebounding trigger and a engraved nickel receiver with internal Chrome plated barrels and walnut stock. That ones going to my grave with me. Sorry to be so long in the tooth but there are tones of good memories about hunting with my friends. IE: me and my Buddy Anthony
Went duck hunting and walked out on a sand bar in the dark to get set up before daylight and I tripped and fell on a steel cable stuck in the sand.
I had put on so much warm clothing I couldn’t Bend my knees enough to get up. Anthony had to stand me up like a ironing board and we kept laughing so hard it was very hard to do. Once we started duck hunting there was a old Italian guy out there and he kept saying to some other guys “ NO SHOOTA NO SHOOTA DATSA TOO FAR” and me and Anthony were Bing bang boom ducking ducks out of the sky.

1 Like
1 Like

while we’re talkin shotguns… went to local cabelas and they had 2 410 n 1 12 autos…

you know the m16 type with mags in such…

opinions of such would be nice… :grinning:

Please tell us who makes 000 buckshot loads for 20 gauge. All I can find is #3 buckshot for 20 gauge. How many pellets does it hold? 5 or 6 would be my guess because they won’t stack well in the little bore. A link to buy it would be great! 000 pellets are much larger than #3

I personally don’t trust semi-auto shotguns. I’m sure they’re fine if you have the right model and the right ammo, but I’ve seen them jam much too frequently on the range. I’d rather just pump in the next round myself.

4 Likes

thanks for the reply

1 Like

I think pump shotguns are kinda like revolvers. I’ve had failure to function Issues with gas operated shotguns but I never ever a failure to fire with my Benelli super 90 even after many many hundreds of shells fired because it’s recoil operated. If I use a shotgun for defense I got no problem based on its track record. It also does well at trap shooting. It came with assorted choke tubes to include steel shot tubes and a nice
choke ranch.
PS: this one will also go to the grave with me, I’m Gona need a bigger casket. Good point though I can be Buried in a gun safe that would be cheeper than a casket and I wouldn’t have to worry about grave robbers in my after life.

My error. I misunderstood the labeling. Thank you for your clarification.

3B, 2.75 in, 20 pellets. Purchased before or early into the galactic ammo shortage, which continues with 20 gauge.

1 Like

@Dawn >> IMO >> I would go with a 20 gauge slug gun with a rifled Barrel for bigger animals to include white tail deer. I tried some different amo and it will shoot a ragged hole at 50 yards. Trust me get some.

I don’t have a pump shotgun but do have a pump rifle. One thing you have to be careful of is short stoking the action and causing a jam. It could be more likely in a stressful situation if you don’t practice enough.

I did buy a semi auto 12 gauge last year and have had excellent luck with it. The only issue I have had so far was with cheap ammo that many reviewers said they could only get half the box to fire. I shot 97 out of 100 without issue and zero issues with good quality shells. Even very light loads that the owners manual recomended not using. Buying a new caliber during an ammo shortage limits your options!

3 Likes

Resurrection!

I choose 12 gauge.

Why? Ammo selection. Especially for defensive use. 12 gauge has more of it. And more general availability.

I choose an AR primarily for defense, but I also have a very nice, very reliable semi auto shotgun. Now, I just need to get up the nerve to remove the mag tube and replace it with the extended capacity carrier comp tube I spent nearly a few hundred on

2 Likes

Dang it. I thought you had found the granddaddy of 20 gauge buckshot loads…

1 Like

That’s a fact.
I have recommended 20 gauge to a number of people for home defense, especially first-time firearm owners. People whose first experience with a firearm is a 12 gauge tend to end up on their butt. But for all the things I like about 20 gauge, it’s a lot more difficult to find ammo. If your local shop doesn’t already carry it, you’ll have to have a talk with the store manager or shop online.

2 Likes