Zeroing Rifle with limited range

This guy zeroed his Ruger American 308 in about 5 or 6 rounds. Watch it because I have never witnessed 3 consecutive rounds pass through the same hole.

At 25 yards making adjustments on the scope and the boolit goes through the same hole?!?! I’d be seriously questioning the scope or the ammo.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I have a 25yd range; however it is poorly lit. In addition to poor lighting I am in my mid 50’s with not so great eye sight.

I’ve tried using the calculators; however most of the the terminology might as well be a foreign language.

Does anyone know the offset (POA - POI) in inches for a 36yd zero at 10-15 yrds?
If anyone can help with the math I’d be very appreciative.

Thank you

5 Likes

@Alemoe Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you here with us. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard @Alemoe glad you are here.

That will depend on caliber and load.

1 Like

My range goes up to 130 feet for our rifle range.

So I zero my rifle which has a red dot at about 75 feet or 25 yards.

If I make a battle rifle with an ACOG or LPVO, then I’ll go to an outdoor range that has distances up to 300 yards, and zero there.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community! I hope you like it here.

3 Likes

Good choice with 36 yards as a battle sight zero. I believe the Marines use that range. That is using 5.56mm NATO of course. The Army uses 25 meters.

What round are you shooting and out of which rifle?

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Alemoe

3 Likes

5.56 - 55 grain

3 Likes

AR with open sights???

1 Like

generally speaking if you use a 25 to 100 yard target and want battle sights in a 30 cal…

this is with a target that has 1 inch squares…

you want to hit 2 inch’s high and centered for 300 yard hits dead center on your target…

that should put you right on the center bull…

not real sure about 5.56…

anyways that’s how I remember it…

1 Like

AR with a red dot. Also planning on getting a magnifier 4x (really bad eyes…lol) Pretty sure zeroing with the magnifier is not as effective.

3 Likes

As @Virgil_H said above, the Army sights in at 25yds. (us both being Army) usually will drop back into zero at 250yds. and be very close. A little high before 250 yds. a little low after that out to 400yds. The exact impacts will have to be shot at the correct distance. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You have to remember every gun is different. All the calculations and graphs are starting points. Each gun and load will need to be range tested. Happy Shooting!

1 Like

That’s perfect!! Thank you all!! Very much appreciated!!

3 Likes

Don’t know if this is any value to you.

50 yard seems to be what I would gain the most advantage with.

6 Likes

If you are using your rifle for home defense, is this even important? If a round hit your bad guy an inch or so so off the point of aim ( even under the stress of a home invasion situation) do you think it would be less lethal? This all seems academic to me.

3 Likes

This isn’t too bad.

2 Likes