My zero for 450 Bushmaster

I just got a CVA Hunter 450 Bushmaster. It has a 6.5x20x50 scope. What I was needing to know is what should I set my zero to? I’ve been reading a bunch of people’s opinions and I’m getting conflicting answers. Some say that point blank is 150 yrs so setting zero at 50 yrs is the way to go. I don’t understand this. I’m expecting to shoot a deer no closer then 100 yrs. So should I zero at 100? The question is if I zero at 100 and the target is closer how far up do I have to raise it?

Thank you for your time.

3 Likes

At the risk of sounding cavalier, there are only a few things to look at to figure out what is the right zero for ‘you’.

*will you be hiding in the alder thickets, cedar swamps, pine stands, and bushes (with your bushmaster) or will you be looking across the clearing, bean patch, or power line right away?

*What is your intended quarry?

*Quarry and environment will guide ammunition selection.

*Ammunition selection will determine your ballistic curve (easy to look up)

*Ballistic curve and environment will guide your choice of zero.

Probably more important than what you pick is KNOWING what you picked. Before auto ranging, balistic adjusting scopes a lot of guys would just tape their ballistics info right inside their scope cover.

Whatever you pick, remember that it’s big, fat, and slow so it falls pretty quick past about 150.

3SWJKSX6SQ2XVUZ64CASY3VLDM

7K423L3V5BWZMH6NEZOO4HNZ2Q

11 Likes

I think that top chart shows it really nice. You have two crossings of “zero”. So a 150yd zero will give you a 50yd zero hold. Overall, you are no more than 2" off of zero out to 175yds (either above or below). Well within margins. So, that would mean hold where you want to hit out to 175yds.

5 Likes

Justin, I would consider that scope a very powerful one for a long range weapon. I would not put the .450 bushmaster in to that category.
For me, the optics need to match the ballistics. I have a lot of rifles in a lot of calibers. To each his own–but I have that scope on a .223 varmint gun and would use if for long range shooting. I have a .450 bushmaster I will be using for deer and hogs in WI, OH and TX–I’m running an eotech with a 3x magnifier.
Considering I’m not planning on shooting over 100 yards, I’m going to zero it for 50 yards.
To the graphs shared by Greg (nice), you could zero your rilfe to hit 2 inches high at 100 yards, and have a maximum point blank range of about 175 yards. Does that help?

10 Likes

@Justin47 I agree with with Aaron, the scope is way to powerful for the caliber. A good 3x9x40 would be good. :+1: And a lot less cumbersome.

8 Likes

I think you misspoke and said 50 yds when you meant to say 25.

556 on the brain?

5 Likes

Yes and up too early in the morning. :smiley:

6 Likes

What app are you using for those ballistics?

3 Likes

@Harvey
I just searched on 450 bushmaster ballistics, filtered on images, and picked the prettiest one to illustrate the point.

If I was betting my life on the data I would stick to info from the ammo/bullet/powder makers and verify it for myself.

6 Likes

Lots of good advice above. The 450 is fat and slow and drops like a rock after 175. You are WAYYY over scoped for that round unless you are trying to loft a round in at 500 plus and you will probably run out of adjustment. I shoot a 30-06 at a MILE and have a 3.2-17X on it. For critters of 2 or 4 feet 1 would very seriously consider either an Eotech for a Zero powered optic, a 1 - 6X for a variable or a straight 4X for a fixed power optic.

As to “zero range”, the first chart above should be your bread and butter setting in that the boolit passes through zero twice well inside the performance range of the round and does not climb significantly between the two. It is also nice that at 100 yards you can dial in at 2" high and be good to roughly 175 yds without holding over or under to make a clean chest hit. You could play with it a bit and get a little farther range but you will give up point and shoot accuracy in the middle. Most folks can’t stand on their hind legs and keep 5 rounds in a 2" circle at 100 yards, he!! most folks cant hit a 2" circle at all standing at 100 yards.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

You all keep ragging on my scope being to big… I think you all have scope envy.:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Scopes are personnel preference. 'Aim small, miss small" . For hunting, you can never have to much power in my opinion.

1 Like

Nooo… Many of us have many years of experience using and choosing a scope and are trying to impart that to you. :+1:

3 Likes

The greaterer the magnification the lesserer the field of view.

Very high magnification at near to barely moderate range is a sure recipe for…sht, flck, where is it, where did it go. I can’t find it.

It WILL offer you way more missed opportunity for food on the table than any amount of scope envy is worth (in my too often not so humble opinion)

5 Likes

For the win^^^^^^^^!!!

A bounding Bambi, A Running Rat or a Creeping Crook will teach you quickly the value of FOV (Field of Veiw) If you want to talk precision I can take you a long way down that road and we will begin with Focal Planes.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

@Craig6. A bit off topic, but it is a scope. I got to play with a friends reap-IR not long ago. Holy slop, I really need to win the lottery…!!!

2 Likes

Dude, I contract with DARPA on occasion and there is stuff out there that will blow your mind. The particulate wind reader is my favorite, I made a 2K cold bore shot with winds on a 10" plate. And then did it 10 more times. Yes those things are a bit spendy as the platform I was using was north of $200K and no I/you can’t buy it.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

@Craig6
I wanna come play… how can I come play…

2 Likes

Sorry Brah, you would have had to start 35 years ago. Very, VERY small club. The only reason I can talk about that one is that it’s on the street in multiple platforms, there is other stuff too wild to even comment on because you wouldn’t believe it. I just play end user, the geeks that build this stuff are off the chain. My job is to prove them wrong, I don’t win very often.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes