Your Gun Falls Out Of The Holster In Public (Now What?!)

This would never happen with me, but if my gun was to somehow fall out of my holster, I will simply pick it up and put it back in my holster! And not pay any more attention to it until I got home. Simple fix. Tighten my belt and make adjustments as soon as I do get home.

7 Likes

Pockets are NOT holsters! But you already know that :wink:

4 Likes

I think this is true, but I also think it can happen to anybody. Everybody makes mistakes, and weird stuff happens even to people that havenā€™t made mistakes. Iā€™ve known quite a few responsible gun owners who have embarrassing stories to tell about their firearms falling off or being left somewhere. Perhaps these are the kinds of hard lessons that made them responsible gun owners.

5 Likes

that didnt look like it was in his pocket. it was behind his belt on his back. cant tell if that is where his holster was or if he even had oneā€¦

5 Likes

It was in his waistband.

2 Likes

To add to that, we all remember the DEA Agent that shot himself in the foot, while in front of a classroom containing High School Students. It was a mistake that cost him his job, but a mistake, nonetheless.

5 Likes

Slo-mo makes it appear that there was a holster - clearly not one with proper retention, at least not for his ā€œdance movesā€.

4 Likes

Far mor than ā€œjust a mistakeā€. He was bragging that he was the only one in the room that had the training and experience to handle the firearm. I believe he also claimed it was not loaded before he shot himself. He also was not handling properly before shooting himself as he was holstering it - gee I wonder how that could possibly have happened. /sarc

6 Likes

Yeah, okā€¦it was a colossal mistake, but it was still a mistake, right? He thought more highly of himself than he ought to have, and his ego blinded him temporarily. And when his eyes became open to the truth, he was no longer employed, now thatā€™s one with a bullet for you.

4 Likes

Embarrassment > Negligent discharge

:pray:t3:

4 Likes

Ok. Iā€™ll admit. It happened to me once. In the dark (thankfully) at an amusement park. Carrying a Ruger P89 in a shoulder holster sold by Ruger for said gun. Was pushing a wagon running uphill. Snap came undone and gun fell out. Thankfully it was winter and I was wearing a big coat with big pockets. Put the Ruger in the pocket. Found a restroom. Went into stall and put it back in the holster. Lots of people around. No one but immediate family noticed.

Huge lesson learned for me early in my CCW experience. I donā€™t carry in a shoulder holster anymore.

5 Likes

Glock 40, in Galco Shoulder rig
I bent at my knees to retrieve a bottle of shampoo in a Walgreenā€™s and I just mansged to catch my Glock before it hit the floor. Yes, I followed the instructions and followed the YouTube videos showing how to use the rig.
No one saw it happen, except my wife who was standing next to me. She carries in her purse and because of what happened to me will never carry otherwise.
I now carry IWB or Appendix. Unfortunately, 6 pins in my spine from The First Gulf War make that painful. But trusting another Shoulder Rig is no longer in me, no matter how much it costs.
Sometimes the best fail.

Inovate / Adapt / and Overcome!

7 Likes

thank you for sharing the misshape with the Galco Shoulder rig
was it the first model or the ā€˜ā€˜improvedā€™ā€™ version
I am looking at Shoulder rigs and this was at the top of the list

Mike

3 Likes

Ya I had a misshape with a IWB holster
the stock retaining clip got weak and holster and firearm hit the ground
went to a J clip and problem solved
It happened on the farm and the pigs didnā€™t care LOL

Mike

4 Likes

Maybe get another holster?

1 Like

This happened to me two years ago, so it had to be a relatively newer model. The rig was set horizontally. Before that incident I had purchased vertical rigs for 1911ā€™s that seem to work just fine. I even had a double vertical rig for two Kimber Commanders that again worked without this problem. I do believe that it is the horizontal rig that is susceptible to falling out.

Other Galco holsters have been excellent.

Best of luck, and stay safe.

Dr. T

3 Likes

this is the one at the top of the list
https://www.galcogunleather.com/vhs-4-0-vertical-holster-system-_8_2_1526.html?filters=1
for my 1911 Colt, and be able to switch to my S&W 629 or something other that may come along the way
Mike

3 Likes

I have not had it fall out but I was at work and a friends kids decided that they would jump on my back for fun and I knew that their leg would be on top of my gun. I had to think fast to keep them from doing that because you never know how it would go from there if the kids started yelling about it.

4 Likes

Five second rule.

6 Likes

What I do next depends on what State Iā€™m in it when it falls out, and who saw it fall? :shushing_face:

2 Likes