Woodworking

Interests eventually seem to involve other interests, which is refreshing as this creates new challenges and learning experiences—all good for keeping the mind and intellect sharp.
Interests in firearms might branch out into the fields such as leather work, hand loading, etc…
But this is about woodworking.
I was wondering if anyone here dabbled in firearms related woodworking projects—like building target frames, cartridge holders, range boxes, gun safe dividers/shelving etc…? What have you built, or are working on for your shooting interests?
Which power tools do you find especially useful for these types of projects?
For me, this is a remedy for cabin fever in the Winter, but these days it seems like Covid Cabin fever is what needs dealing with!

4 Likes

I’m planning on buying a scroll saw so I can make some detailed cuts. I was inspired by an AR-15 cutout with the 2nd Amendment written on it.

I mainly use hand tools. I have made our headboard and frame for our bed. Shelves for all my books, a hope chest in the same matter of a steamer chest. My next challenge is a dinner table with mortise and tenon connections in the old mission style.

2 Likes

I am no woodworker, I like metal. I have a modest machine shop with Lathes, Mills, grinders, along with a 60 ton press and a metal cutting Band saw. Of course all of the other stuff needed to do a good job. I am working on a shell case tempering unit to extend the life of my bottle neck cases. I have built many items in the shop for my motorcycles to lawn mowers. Building is fun and keeps the brain in the game.

Larry

2 Likes

That’s a bit more than a modest machine shop!

3 Likes

I am a hobbiest in many forums. Wood working is one of my favorites and in some venues it translates to guns as in inletting rifle stocks or building A-Frames for targets as well as the in the house trim work and cabinetry tasks. I’m also a car guy and I am in the process of building a motor for my 1977 Ranchero. As a gunsmith (ish) I have lots of metal working bits. I find it very useful to have multiple cross connected hobbies that would on the surface seem diverse but are inter related. The real benefit is being able to “figure it out”, if this, then that. Every now and again you have to build something to get from this to that. I really need to learn how to weld, I traded in my birthday present welder last year for a functional watch which I have yet to destroy unlike the 4 previous Rolex’s, 3 Tag Haeur’s and other top shelf bits, pretty happy with the SKX007 Sieko and the double domed sapphire crystal, I haven’t even broken the band yet.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

I try to dabble in woodworking with the basic power and hand tools. One day, I would love to really get into wood finishes and finishing/refinishing riflestocks. However, lately, most of my projects have revolved around reloading as a recent firearms project has led to this. Lately, on the rifle front, I have been playing around with the .50 BMG. Thus, I have had to reinforce my loading bench (I really need to just build another one, but time, yea that) I made a couple loading trays as the ones that are available commercially are amazingly cheap looking and feeling, and the fanciest thing I did was to make a box for the big dies as they just came in a cheap cardboard box. Growing up, we did a lot of fun woodworking projects and my dad always made me do it with hand tools, right down to the brace and bit. Never understood it back then, but I do now.

1 Like

Hey, a fun change of topics. :slight_smile:

I use a router to carve out words and names and such in rough cut cedar boards. We have no shortage of cedar wood here in central Texas. Once routed using a porter cable router with a set of stencils, I spray paint the letters black or some other fun color, sometimes burn in the letters, and then using a belt sander, sand the overspray off bringing out the nice red tone of the wood. A couple of hooks in the top and it’s ready to hang.

I also have put that super thick layered glaze on big slabs of pecan, oak, and cedar to make dinner tables, end tables, vanities, etc.

Another hobby that maybe needs it’s own topic, I dabble in blacksmithing and metal work.

1 Like

I have a table saw with assortment of different blades including Dado and various shaper blades. The rest of my stuff is smaller bench size equipment, planner, drill press, belt/circular sander, compound miter saw, free-hand router, table router, and whole lot of clamps and hand tools.

The one item I regret letting go was a 10" radial arm saw that lacked safety features. As such, I think I got ~$100 from Sears - all I had to send them was the motor head unit. I trashed the rest of it and didn’t even think about mounting a router to the carriage. It could of been a poor man’s Bridgeport :thinking:

1st speargun I built, 7 laminations of African Padauk - still my primary go-to gun today:

3 Likes

My targets are typically just PVC that I slap some cardboard on with zip ties so if one of my younger shooters hits the side, I don’t cry. I have built and destroyed a failed attempt at a nightstand with a hidden compartment. It didn’t work so I ripped it apart to re-engineer it. Thinking the top has to slide forward as opposed to lifting or the side popping open since my nightstand always has too much crap on it. I am planning on buying myself a CNC machine so I can make cool designs though so I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

Woodworking…great topic! Have to confess that I am not “good in the wood” area, even though we have several woodworking pieces of equipment. We have several different welders for different jobs and materials, and prefer to breathe smoke versus dust. I have crazy ideas of building different types of reactive targets, and have built some of our targets on our own range. I stumbled into some crazy reactive targets the military has built over the years, and of course years ago concepts. Have been working on bullet trap designs and testing. This last winter we built a large bullet trap as to be able to shoot in our shop with door open and heater running. In our older age we need more comfort. Yes on our bucket list is a CNC machine, and hope the laser tables will come down in price. One of my other bucket list is to build a “polish” or “propeller” plate rack. If anyone stumbles across a plan, since my design time is limited, i would appreciate.

1 Like