Why should I have any formal training and a home defense plan?

This chilling 9-11 call is a great example.

In every emergency the people present are the first responders.

Ten minutes into the call, almost six minutes after the home owner is forced to defend himself police finally arrive. It takes them more than 12 minutes total to finally enter the home.

Notice too that the man is required to unload and secure his firearm before the house is cleared and before the police will allow him to open the door to let them in.

In the event there were still armed bad guys in the home this man likely would have ended up either being killed or taken hostage.

Your life, and the lives of your family are literally in your own hands in such an event.

Warning, there are things on this audio that may be upsetting to some people.

In the vast majority of cases, the police are not going to come save you, they will arrive after the incident is over to fill out reports and drag away the bodies.

9 Likes

This is why you need to get training on home defense. Because crimes only last a few seconds. And then theyā€™re over with. And sorry but unless youā€™re very lucky LEOā€™s wonā€™t arrive while the crime is taking place. YOU ARE THE FIRST RESPONDER TO THE CRIME UNTIL THE LEOā€™S GET TO THE SCENE.

5 Likes

This ad is extremely clever, and very funny about a really serious issue in our nation.

2 Likes

Hard to listen to, and also usefulā€¦ now I know what agonal breathing sounds likeā€¦ thatā€™s quite disturbing. Still, Iā€™d rather know that now, in case I ever have to hear it in person.

Listening made me wonder if he had a reload available, I think that was 5 shots, with one or two more bad guys still in the house.

Very scary and thought provoking stuff.

Glad the guy is ok.

4 Likes

Frightening, and sobering. Makes me think about my own house. I would consider this to be a fairly safe area but we do have our share of druggies around, and you never can tell what they might do.

2 Likes

Weā€™re in a very safe rural area as wellā€¦ some theft but not much violence. Nonetheless, I was at a gun show last year where I ended up helping a nice little old lady pick out a handgun for self defense. Her neighbor, another widow, had a home invasion and was beaten nearly to death by a couple in their early twenties. They live about 15 miles from us, in an area as rural as ours. :grimacing:

Rate of risk varies by location, but the possibilities are always there.

3 Likes

@Zee
Safe rural area is safe till the moment the bad guys find it easy target.
I have the same in my location. Mostly people of their 80ā€™s, few new families with kids. Quietly and peacefully.
But nothing lasts foreverā€¦ itā€™s better to be preparedā€¦

2 Likes

yep. 100% of always. :+1::+1: :facepunch: :+1:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had overnight to think about it and a couple of things come to mind:

1. My house phone is wireless, thatā€™s so I can carry it anywhere in the house, and quite a ways out of it.
  2. Like Zee said above, if all the victim had was 5 rounds, he was 1/1000th of a chance to FAIL. Always have more rounds in a magazine or speedloader and remember you donā€™t go anywhere with your gun without them!
  3. At the point Dispatch is telling me how itā€™s going to be - especially if LEOs are going to stay safe and outside? Iā€™m not disarming myself until right before I exit that door of ā€œThis far and no further.ā€

Iā€™m the one still under threat, theyā€™re not coming to protect me and mine? Iā€™m not leaving it up to the luck of finding an environmental weapon when Iā€™ve just left a perfectly good and working firearm behindā€¦ At that point I"m communicating whatā€™s happening as I cross the interior of the house.

6 Likes

@Chris4 that oneā€™s bothering me a lot. Iā€™m not sure that Iā€™d agree to do it.
@WildRose Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d go with ā€œrequiredā€ā€¦ they certainly told him to, but I donā€™t know that itā€™s the same thing.

1 Like

Would you prefer, ā€œexplicitly instructed toā€?

However you wish he was told to remove his magazine and unload the firearm and leave it in the closet before coming to the door to let the police in.

Neither he nor the police has any way of knowing that there were no bad guys remaining and thus he had to put himself at significant risk at their direction to comply.

At most I would have told the dispatcher that I would go and unlock the door for the police to enter retaining my weapon in the ready state and then retreat back to the room I felt safest in and only unload and secure the firearm once I identified it was police coming in and asking me to do so.

Thatā€™s easily done by getting the name of the lead officer coming in and then having him identify himself to me.

4 Likes

Not at all arguing thatā€™s what he was toldā€¦ they told him that for sure. But ā€œInstructedā€ kind of gets to the point of what I was asking. The fellow did as instructedā€¦ and didnā€™t argue.
They certainly didnā€™t give him the ā€œdisarm yourself or weā€™ll shoot you when you come outā€ impression (which is good) but they put him at MORE risk in that in between arriving and clearing the house time than Iā€™d have been willing to go with.

Iā€™m not at all certain that I would have done ā€œas instructed.ā€

^^ Thatā€™s a lot more whatā€™s likely to come out of my mouth.

6 Likes

I was once listening to Clint Smith talk about the importance of having a challenge and response plan in place so you do not get shot by a significant other if you have to leave the room during a home invasion.

He also recommended having a floor plan taped to a key next to your night stand if you live in a 2 story so you could drop it to the cops from your bedroom window in case of a home invasion.

I donā€™t know how well the second part would work, but that kind of idea made me realize that as great as I think my home protection plan is, I still have to cross a few Tā€™s and dot some Iā€™S with my plan.

5 Likes

There are no perfect plans, we can always improve whether we like to admit it or not. :+1:

5 Likes

For sure! I am always looking to improve and look for more training. I have to find a carbine course here in WI. I want to brush up some skills and learn some new skills.

1 Like

Cantā€™ speak to WI but Sig Sauer and Gunsight both have excellent defensive carbine courses.

I think the NRA is well behind the times in not having carbine specific defensive courses to compliment our defensive pistol classes.

Even though it may be slightly out of the wheelhouse We should be encouraging the guys at the top of this organization to give it serious consideration as well.

6 Likes

That is one of the most frightening things I have ever heard - I felt like I was in the homeownerā€™s soulšŸ˜¢. Perfect example of why our 2A rights are SOOO important. Itā€™s not a political football, itā€™s a God given right of self-defense. Thank God the homeowner is ok. Iā€™ll take being judged by 12 than buried by 6 any day.

3 Likes

I was really surprised the dispatcher had him leave his gun behind-nobody cleared the house so I wouldnā€™t have left it upstairs in the closet. He heard voices-how long were the police outside (a full minute?) before dispatch or the homeowner were informed? Scary.

3 Likes

In this situation where Iā€™m hiding in the closet (not likely to happen) my closet door opens behind the door to my bedroom. As part of my HD strategy I open the closet door to ā€œcatchā€ the bedroom door to keep it from opening all the way. It opens about a foot but will certainly disrupt a forced entry and cuts off the view of a significant portion of the room. The officer can stick his badge through the opening and identify himself, the dispatcher can (should be able to) tell me his/her name. There is ZERO chance that I am downloading if I think there may still be a badguy in the house.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

^^ that right there. And Iā€™m telling the dispatch that so they can tell the officers. Donā€™t want to get shot by them either.

Yes, and yes!
welcome to the group, glad youā€™re here!

3 Likes