Why not carry a full size?

Hello and welcome @SelfReliance

1 Like

My eyes aren’t quite adjusted this morning. I though this said “Prior to 1920, it was revolvers only on duty … 1911 off duty.” For a second there, I was amazed at how much experience you must have! :smile:

3 Likes

Carry what you’re comfortable with… But ALWAYS carry a reload regardless of magazine capacity.

The vast majority of malfunctions in modern autoloaders are traceable to the magazine and /or ammo.
If you’ve only got one mag you’re setting yourself up. This thread started as why not full sized; if you can carry, whatever sized, carry a reload.

I’ve given this advise to my people all my career, and after.

Remember: with lifesaving equipment; “Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.”

2 Likes

In short, it’s going to vary based on body type, desired comfort, the activities for the day and the corresponding clothing that go with it. If you’re wearing flannel and comfortable jeans all day with a steel core EDC belt, then it’s going to be a lot easier to get away with carrying a concealed full-size pistol than if you’re wearing a closely fitted suit and a dress belt.

2 Likes

The proof was carved onto the back of those stone tablets. Too bad Moses “accidentally” dropped and broke those tablets. Since he was in the desert, he couldn’t have a “boating accident”.

2 Likes

You can carry a full size if you try. I carry a G21SF with Picatinny Rail and TLR-1S in a KT Defender holster almost every day except when on the motorcycle, I carry a .357 Magnum.

Thanks

2 Likes

I carry a p320 compact, 17rounds. I’m tall (6’3") anx slender (200lbs) so it’s width is the only issue with printing. My question is how much does everybody worry about a non distinct small biulge from the grip when IWB appendix carrying? It does not look like a gun and I don’t worry about it at all. I figure if you can tell, you already carry and good for the both of us. Am I wrong?

4 Likes

I think you’re correct. If I play the game of guess if they are carrying I think myself and most of us wouldn’t do well. Often I would check the style of clothing they are wearing to make a guess. Rarely would I see printing that gave them away. This I do working part time in a gun shop in a relatively small community.

2 Likes

In the 70’s as a Deputy Sheriff I carried a S&W Model 19 .357 Mag as a duty weapon. It really did not really make a good off duty weapon, so like many others I carried a smaller handgun, Walther PPKS .380 caliber, that was more easily concealed on my person. Most times we were not concerned about “imprint” which seems to be more of an issue with people new to concealed carry. Actually I never heard of “imprint” concerns until reading this forum. In general the ability to conceal a firearm on your person depends on your: 1. Physical build. 2. Clothing you are wearing. 3. The type and size of the firearm you are carrying. In general, I really never worried that someone might discover that I was carrying a fire arm, and in the past 57 years no one has ever come up to me and said, “I see you are carrying”. Today I carry a Walther PPS le 9mm because it is concealable and shoots well; the two things important to me for a daily carry.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t sweat it, depends on where you live though since some states printing is a no no (not sure which ones).

3 Likes

The largest pistol I carry in my EDC rotation is a Commander size Sig Sauer 45 acp 1911. Anything larger is a BBQ gun. Why carry full size? The smallest I carry is a Sig P938. No one I know carrys full size.

1 Like

My normal carry rotation is a full-size M&P 4.25 and a Kimber Desert Warrior Full-size 1911. I can shoot both very well but after putting on some pounds last year, plus living in a warmer climate, I needed something smaller and easier to conceal.I’ve opted for a CZ P-10s with 3 round extensions for my mags because I have large hands. Plus… the holsters on my full sizes have left me bruised the last two times I’ve carried them… I love my full sizes and will more then likely find OWB options for them, but for now, I’ll stick with my sub compact

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @Connor5

1 Like

I started with a S&W model 40 then went to a Springfield XD40 sub-compact and now I carry a Ruger LCR in .38+P. The Ruger is easy to carry whether in my waistband, front pocket or jacket pocket, a big plus is if required I can fire all five rounds from inside my pocket. It is lightweight and very powerful. I usually carry one reloader but in all likelihood if I can’t accomplish what needs to be done (protecting myself or another innocent) with five rounds I’m probably not going to be able too.

3 Likes

I’ve been carrying full size the past week. It’s been cold lately and with dressing for cold weather it has been perfectly comfortable. It was warmer today and I carried it in a T-shirt, I could feel the weight on my strong side. Not super comfortable, Today was the first day I had just wished I put my shield on instead.

2 Likes

If this man can do it why can’t I. :+1::+1: Batman - The Joker vs. the Batwing - YouTube

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @Sam19 and god bless you brother.

1 Like

Welcome to the family @Connor5 and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

LOL! that is a good one.

2 Likes

:joy: :grimacing: :scream:
I didn’t know that Batman was such bad pilot…

2 Likes