Why I decided to arm myself

@Mervin1 Welcome to the community. Stay safe. :us: :us: :us:

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Mervin1 , glad you could join us.

2 Likes

Some people in Kabul agree

3 Likes

The oblivious will never get it.

3 Likes

Absolutely true, however, don’t make a bad situation worse by your words or attitude. Humbly state your case and agree top disagree.

2 Likes

A little over two years ago, my wife and I were driving home through West Virginia late at night. We had a blow-out when we hit a large pot hole on the freeway, so we had to find a place to pull over. I spotted a gas station sign up ahead, exited the freeway, but when we pulled in we discovered it was abandoned. Then I saw an old minivan pull up slowly behind us, then it slowly passed by on the drivers side, then proceeded about 20 yards ahead before it stopped right in the middle of the road. Our vehicle had run-flat tires, so I turned the car around, got back on the freeway and made a bee line for the nearest hotel about 5 miles away.

Later that year, I related this story to an RV technician that was teaching us how to operate and care for our first RV. He solomnly advised us: “if you plan to travel in an RV cross country, I would advise you to acquire a firearm and become proficient with it…” So of course what I did I do? Purchased a Ruger 44 magnum as double duty for grizzly defense! LOL… don’t even dream about concealed carry with that hunk of steel!

A month later we’re at the Costco and a car pulls up behind me as my back is turned while I retrieve my phone from my vehicle. The car didn’t park, it just kept rolling. When we headed in, the car turned right in front of us, forcing us to adjust our path around it. The the occupant cranked up the music…“f-#$% the police F-#$% the police”. We looked at each other, both realizing the driver must think I’m LE… Okay, I need to purchase a firearm that I can carry AND I need to get a CCW license! So now I own two wheel guns…one for the four legged critters and the other for the two legged ones. I pray that I will never need to use either of them…

7 Likes

I’m happy it wasn’t you and your daughter. I’m also happy you decided to carry. I first started legally carrying at age 17 as a Military Policeman right out of MP school. After I was discharged I had to wait until I was 21 and now I am 80 and just renewed my permit. I am also a registered instructor. You are doing the right thing with your daughter.

10 Likes

I choose to carry because to encounter such a bad force, you must use greater force! Don’t want my family or me to be sitting ducks!

5 Likes

We seen all the shootings was going on all over the country and decided to get our LTC and I wear mine everywhere I go. I asked the pastor at our church if it was alright with him if I carried there and he said he thought I already did so I do. I also carry a fixed blade knife, an extra magazine, and a flash light. My wife and I can both carry so she can use my pistol if she needs is if I get shot. She doesn’t carry like I want her to.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @Francis34

2 Likes

Smart choice.

You must be a resident of MA. No other state calls is an LTC😉

2 Likes

As I get older and less able to defend myself physically, this includes running away, (very bad back), these things enter my mind. I have gained wisdom and firearm competence over the years but still feel very threatened due to physical limitations.

To compensate my biggest advantage is environmental awareness. At my age I cannot engage in hand to hand combat, but I can do everything possible to avoid it, and do. At the same time I feel a moral responsibility to hep another in need… AND I say this with extreme caution, the situation needs to be clear. I have gone through trainings where the “Bad” guy was actually the “Good” guy. So you have to really understand the situation before reacting.

I guess what I am saying is, that is is good to arm yourself for protection for yourself, family and others. The standard do not change… for personal or family I will evaluate the situation and do what I feel is necessary KNOWING my familys demeanor and motives. Wit an unknown person I feel no less compassion or need to defend, but the question in my head is I dont know this person. Are they “REALLY” the bad guy or not. Am I willing to go to jail for the rest of my life by getting involved in a situation that I am only seeing part of the scenero transpiring. It is tough, and the situation you are going to POSSIBLY respond to is happening quickly.

I think my judgement would be the same as a self defense situation. Is there the possibility of the needless loss of life. I have personally intervened in situations with the police where they gave me to go-ahead to persue to “bad guy”.

It is always scary. You are putting your future on the line. Be very prudent in your decisions before committing yourself and your freedom at risk.

John

6 Likes

Wow Alyre, I remember that well. I lived in the same city that happened. Not quite 10yrs ago but about 8. I know the woman who’s husband was murdered. George was a great man. A few others also went and got their LTC after that incident. Thankfully the person who stopped the carnage was an off duty LEO.

7 Likes

Welcome to the community.

2 Likes

Welcome, Alyre and a good post. Having served in the military and worked international security for 13 years (including 2 1/2 years in Iraq), I feel absolutely naked if I am not armed. I am happy to say that my wife is well trained and always carries as well, so I feel like we are at least as well prepared as we can be in the event something like you described happens. We always take great care when in public places to choose our seats carefully and to always be aware of what is going on around us. Please be sure you and your daughter get some quality training to ensure you are ready to use your weapons in the terrible event that you need to protect yourselves or others.

6 Likes

There are some in our society who are incapable of learning from a situation which happens to others and only understand things when it happens to them personally. I’ve noticed this many times. I referred to them as the “it won’t happened to me crowd.” I pray they are correct.

5 Likes

In my early days of CCW, Your story and others like it are why I got my CCW. I have been carrying 15 years now. :us:

3 Likes

My HH6 says we operate in a very similar fashion. We call it the Wild Bill method. Always seat to be able to observe.Never with backs to an entrance

4 Likes