Which AR is the best?

For the money there is no better big box AR than the M&P Sport 2. Yes it’s basic, yes it’s stripped down. But you cannot kill it, it goes bang 100% of the time, and it’s crazy accurate. I bought mine when they 1st came out and have purchased and built other AR’s since. I have punished this rifle. I went 2 years and thousands of rounds without cleaning it because I figured for $600 how long could it last anyway!? I was a little unhappy when I cleaned it about a month ago. What a mess!!! The only things I’ve upgraded on it are the BCG, trigger, and stock and only because I had extra parts from my other builds. In fact, it’s the only AR I own that my kids argue over who will own it after I pass. If you want a budget AR that will last forever buy one. Upgrade it as you want to over time (trigger 1st). You will not be disappointed.

2 Likes

Juneau Rod & Gun Club!!! Enough room for everyone. 50, 100 & 300 yard rifle range, and 2 pistol ranges.

How are your machining skills? How secret do you want it to be to keep your AR from being known or for someone (Big Brother) to know you have one? If you’re not worried about that, search the internet. You get what you pay for. Check out prices then you’ll know the price range to look for. As for a name brand, well, if it’s “Mil Spec” then it doesn’t really matter because they have a specification they have to abide by. Mil SPec arms are the easiest to put together. If you want something fancy then you’re talking about how pretty (appealing to you) and how much you want to spend. I just got into the AR scene…and now the Mayor of Pittsburgh wants to take it away from me…from the entire city too!..and I bought a Palmetto Armory AR just to learn about them and what the big deal was. I’ll build my next one, but I’ve gained lots of insight to these arms. They go together like an erector set…sorry, my age is showing with that lol…they go together like a Lego block set. Just about any vendor will give you a square talk on what you want.

Dawn, a couple things to keep in mind are sighting, trigger, rails, gas blocks. That big tall sight on the front is the gas block. If you want to put a scope on yours, you need a different gas block (a low profile) than the tall one that looks like the one on an M16. If you want to bolt things other than a scope and an assistant red dot to the gun, like a flashlight, you’ll need the right forearm/“rail” for that. I’ve shot a few AR’s and have yet to shoot one with a nice trigger. If you want a smooth light trigger, you have to make allowances for that. Just to name a couple things to keep in mind…have fun with it!!!

1 Like

Dawn, what will you be using this for? Will it be for the house or competition?

1 Like

I’m in! Let’s go play some!

Dawn, did you get it yet? I’m still fiddling around with the site here learning how to use it. Though I’m a CAD designer, I’m pretty slow with learning all these social programs. Bear with me! I’ll get there lol. If you did get your new AR, I hope you got to shoot it. I think I’m going to the range today for a couple hours.

1 Like

I haven’t gotten anything yet, @Fred and @Steve-G. Too may other shiny objects and financial obligations recently … and too many choices! I’m going to need to take a few days to just look at AR parts and make a decision! :slight_smile:

Got some bad news for you @Dawn. They are more addicting than tattoos. Don’t over think the first one. Set a budget stay within that budget. As you train you’ll find what works, what doesn’t, and what you’d like to try. The SECOND rifle you piece together will an improvement on everything your first rifle isn’t.

2 Likes

Lol! I’m trying to find time to schedule my next tattoo too!!

1 Like

If USCCA pays well enough for tattoos and guns to be hobbies. Where do I apply. Lol

1 Like

LOL! Life takes balance between savings and spending money on guns and tattoos… still working on that balance :rofl:

2 Likes

Mine is the best AR, why?

1. It’s mine
  2. I built it
  3. it’s tested
5 Likes

I’ve seen, and held, my next AR :heart_eyes: :star_struck: :heart_eyes:
The guy who owns the range/gun shop down the street from where I’m working built it for his wife and I WANT one just like it :cupid: :sparkling_heart: :revolving_hearts:
It’s not just a really nice piece of equipment, but it’s light and the weight is nearly ALL balanced in the right hand. OMGosh it’s a joy to handle. She says it shoots like a dream (I haven’t had the pleasure) but the balance!!
Supporting the fore-hand weight is where I get fatigued with any rifle, and this one has the weight in the right hand, close to the body, centered over my feet. SO sweet.
Now I just need to save my nickles because it’s going to cost a bunch of them.

1 Like

Lower reciever. https://pin.it/atquzhjw3p3rf6

1 Like

That elcan optic is nice…

1 Like

Yes it is. I’ve gotten carried away on some builds and my wife wants to wring my neck. I built a AR10 from lower block up and when I was done, she said I’m done for a bit…:us::us::joy::joy::joy::us::us:

3 Likes

You milled out the lower? And I was all proud of how I was dressing up my PSA… lol.

3 Likes

I can relate Dawn! Good luck with getting it. Catch you on line somewhere

1 Like

why build [unless you plan on doing multiples]…think of all the tools you need to buy…
too many options out there but stay with quality [buy once, cry once…;)]…the Springfield Armory Saint is the perfect starter weapon [quality for a good price @ $900]…I prefer BCM [Bravo Company] and Daniel Defense…quality weaponry professionals use [base models are@ $1500] and then there is the gucci line [pass]
Whatever you choose, check that the BCG [bolt carrier group] and barrel are MIL SPEC [HPT/MPI]…this is the heart of your weapon…

2 Likes