Which AR is the best?

I can relate Dawn! Good luck with getting it. Catch you on line somewhere

1 Like

why build [unless you plan on doing multiples]…think of all the tools you need to buy…
too many options out there but stay with quality [buy once, cry once…;)]…the Springfield Armory Saint is the perfect starter weapon [quality for a good price @ $900]…I prefer BCM [Bravo Company] and Daniel Defense…quality weaponry professionals use [base models are@ $1500] and then there is the gucci line [pass]
Whatever you choose, check that the BCG [bolt carrier group] and barrel are MIL SPEC [HPT/MPI]…this is the heart of your weapon…

2 Likes

No. I bought the block. Had to finish it. Drill it etc.

2 Likes

Oh so an 80% lower then?

1 Like

Yes. Heck I ain’t got the machinist tools to do all that. A friend of mine is a gun Smith. I did the work but his tools. No digits.:us::grin::grin::us: Have you seen the bill we are fighting on Oregon? SB 978. We are talking, walk to your truck to go hunting with gun and become a felon. Look t up if you get a minute.

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Senator Arnie Roblan getting calls to vote against SB 978

Dave2 - I just bought my first AR… Haven’t got it to the range yet. Tell me more about this “200 round break-in”

2 Likes

I just bought my first. I decided to keep it simple and inexpensive. I bought a Smith & Wesson M&P Sport 2. We’ll see if an addiction develops that will lead to lots of mods :slight_smile:

4 Likes

More like let’s see how long it takes the addiction is inevitable

4 Likes

Gunrangegreg,
I send my rifle off to have cryogenically treated. It turns the barrel into a “tuning fork”. The last point the bullet touched as it leaves the barrel ends up the same spot because of the treatment, the harmonics of the barrel then allow you to zero much better. I clean

2 Likes

I clean every round for the first 10 shots then every other round after to 200

It seems that around shot 159-160 I start printing the same hole at 100 yds…

2 Likes

My wife is annoyed because I haven’t built hers yet. I have 4 stripped lowers in the safe and she thinks there only needs to be 3 in that condition!
she rides a Peloton and I am thinking of a Peloton themed gun. I fear that would cause the Peloton folks heads to explode!

3 Likes

It may be a good idea to just buy your first one as a complete gun, I really like the S&W M&P 15, right out of the box, they’re pretty awesome.then you can play around with it and customize it to what your preferences are. Once your pretty familiar with the whole platform, you can start to think about a build. Just seems to be a safe way to go in my opinion. I still have my first one, it’s a great little gun, and it’s never once failed on me ever.

4 Likes

Here’s a link for a melt down test for the
M&P 15 sport II, it’s a really cool video, the gun is on fire, and he continues with the test, it was impressive, I disagree with him on the change of rate of fire, I think the gas port hole was plugging up not getting larger, not enough gas was being deployed to drive the bolt back. Just my opinion. Enjoy.
4 Likes

Here’s a link for sniper-101, Rex is awesome, this series of videos will teach you a lot of things, he tends to be maybe too thorough at times, but whatever subject you choose to learn about, these videos will give you a FULL understanding of the subject.
For me, I have to understand how something works in order to have a great understanding and be able to maintain, fix, and troubleshoot properly, This is what Rex does. God Bless. :sunglasses::us:
1 Like

Sig Sauer ( You must try ) There many, but I know this it takes a beating
and worth having. I have the Sig Sauer M400 S.W.A.T. 556/223. Something
to grow with.

William Smith

1 Like

WOW! I will admit, I skipped to the part where the gun started on fire! (About 5:48) The plastic just melts off the gun. It’s an awesome demonstration of how well the gun handles in heat.

2 Likes

It takes research and study to what AR plate form YOU desire, not someone else.
The make of parts, the testing of the weapon’s durability and strengths, the weight
and what upgrades do you desire to grow with; INVEST, not scrape pile or junk
heap. Barrel and your length, Upper / Lower, the name is important, but it is contracted
for the company, you choose.

Stock, receiver, Bolt, Sights Front/Rear, or Scope with Mounts. You are in charge.

Thank you

William h Smith

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat. I’m in California so choices are limited. I’m leaning towards a Saint Victor.

3 Likes

Depends on your purpose honestly.

The Sig 516 pison AR may be the best ever produced but it is heavy.

For self defense purposes particularly for woman a lighter platform like the S&W M&P 15 is an excellent choice.

I own both and have found both imminently reliable but the Sig is probably better suited to hunting and long range shooting. I have better than 5,000 rounds through both and neither has ever given me a lick of trouble.

2 Likes