Where do you sit?

It’s Christmas Eve and you’re on your way to your church for their holiday service. You’ve left early enough to get there before the majority of people so you can get the seats of your choice - even though you know the kids or grandkids aren’t going to be happy about sitting still for so long.

Image from Pinterest

Where do you sit and what do you do if your children are in a classroom instead of the main worship area?

A few things to consider:

• Where are the exits?
  • Does your church have pews or individual chairs?
  • What can you see from where you sit?
5 Likes

Wow, that looks almost like my sanctuary except for top set.

But, even though it’s not a safe spot… 2nd row, middle, individual seats like shown, exits on all four corners including on pulpit. The exits lead to another hallway on both sides and another building exit. On the pulpit, it would go to the greenroom. Lastly, I’m turned all the around looking at pulpit but can see four exits.

I trust the security…a little too much to be honest :grin:

4 Likes

Balcony. I can see it all. Especially if I’m running sound that day. When my son was young enough for children’s church, the doors into that area are locked. All but the main entrance to the building are locked, and we have a 2 man patrol team during Sunday morning and evening services. Single man patrol on Wednesday ( sometimes that’s me). Again, all but the main entrance locked once we start.

5 Likes

Right side third row from the back along the wall…

Puts me closer to any threats coming in…gives me a chance to quickly send my family to the AV room to bunker down while at the same time going on the offense towards the threat (they go to the AV room, I’m either taking cover and engaging or moving forward and engaging depending on what gives me the best opportunity to stop the threat based on what the threat is doing and what the crowd is doing).

Me and Family in blue with escape route, red X’s would be threat encounter points assuming scenario #1 they’re coming from the lobby (rear door engagement/encounter) and/or scenario #2 the threat was sitting in the audience (assuming they would sit middle/front in order to quickly get to stage area).

That’s all assuming they didn’t engage our security team in the lobby already (which would have given everyone plenty of advance warning).

6 Likes

I hate the layout but would be at end seats by the walls in the middle. It limits areas of attach and allow access to doors at front and rear of church. My church is rectangular and access in to the sanctuary is limited to 2 locations on side 1 and 4 with 3 other exits. I am usually at the entrance near sides 1/4, rear right of sanctuary where I have a view of all of the other doors.

4 Likes

In my recliner at home. As I have mentioned before, I am Catholic, so we have a Bishop who makes the call for security and he flat out refuses to allow our churches to have security teams. I don’t choose to risk me and mines life based off of that. So we stay home.

5 Likes

Here you go @Zavier_D. All from the comfort of home.
Sunday Mass Online from Heart of the Nation

4 Likes

Thanks Mike. Will give that a try.

3 Likes

There are loads of them out there. In Louisville, it’s called Mass of the Air and it’s on tv. I know there are some on YouTube as well and probably hundreds on the WWW.

3 Likes

See now that is why I love being here. You, and others, take exactly that stance… I’m honored to be in this company.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Well when it comes to the “fight or flight” response, I decided several years back I’m too fat and old to run anymore so get ready to do battle with a fat old man :smiley:

Plus if they’re busy/focused on engaging me, that’s time others have to get clear of the danger.

3 Likes

I hear you on too fat and too old to run :grimacing: me too.

And see that’s the thing, right there. ^^^ :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

My church does that too!

2 Likes

I wish my church did! Ours puts out a podcast each Monday or Tuesday but it would be great to be able to get a live feed!

3 Likes

My favorite Pastor who helped me find my faith again after my divorce moved to Florida. I watch his services online from time to time. It’s great to be able to watch him from WI… except in winter when it looks so nice there and is 2 degrees here. :rofl:

6 Likes

I sit in the first row of the permanent “bleachers” on the right end. That section is rearmost in our church and has about 20 rows. I am right by a door and carry a radio as part of the safety team.

5 Likes

I’m not going to lie, I enjoy live services casted online! I like to take a Sunday off once and awhile. Pastor jokes: I become a Baptist when it rains and stay in! :rofl::rofl: No pun intended!! it’s a joke and, I used to classify myself Southern Baptist before attending WOGM as non-demonation 10 years ago.

Also, I used to be there when the doors were open and sit through two services (3 now) and then once hired full-time, chose to “serve” on Sunday after the 40hr pay week to continually cleaning bathrooms, spills, and messes when kids got sick! :mask: :nauseated_face:

(Not my proudest moments but it taught me hard work and humility)

3 Likes

If I am visiting this church. The balcony or if on the main floor the far right seat in the very back row. In my church I am part of their safety team so I will be right by one of the exits or in the parking lot. We also carry radios with ear buds

3 Likes

I sit in the last row, corner of the worship room. I have views of both the side entrance and the back entrance…and the Nursury/Toddler Room entrance is just a few feet behind me. Ideal vantage point to protect the congregation and the babies.

4 Likes

When I"m not working safety services, I sit on the end of an aisle (outside) on the right side, where there is an exit door that is locked from the outside–something lacking in this blueprint.
That blueprint paints a grim picture for everyone in the sanctuary. If I’m reading it right, you’re trapped with exits that are only behind you. It looks like there is no way to escape from the altar area.

3 Likes