When.you.Load.your.E.D.C..Do..chamber.A.Round?

Extractors can be forced around a cartridge rim, there’s no denying that, but it’s hard on the extractor to do that. Some extractors can break despite being harder than the brass case they’re slammed against. The movement of an extractor is not intended to be pushed out and around a rim
. I wouldn’t slam the slide on around a chambered round I put in because it’s pretty much the same as slamming the slide on an empty chamber.

Can you get by with slamming your extractor around the rim of your manually inserted cartridge? Probably/ maybe. Are extractors easy to replace, sure. Are you risking a reduction in shell extraction consistency? Possibly.

When chambering a round from the magazine, in most autos the case rim slides under and up into the extractor. When manually loading the round into the chamber and releasing the slide, the extractor hits the back of the case rim and rides over it rather than the case sliding up into it. It is said that this can put excess wear and stress on the extractor overtime.

Ps
If it’s +1 and your weapon has a difficult time, running from a full magazine, you need to have some ramp work done or work on your magazines
If a round is being damaged from being rechambered again, you need to take your gun to a gunsmith and have some work done

5 Likes

Good question. No real good explanation that wouldn’t cause you to have more questions, but I lock my gun in a safe every night and in case there’s a fire I don’t want one in the chamber.

3 Likes

my edc always has a round chambered, mag always full the only time the firearm is cleared is when cleaning or working on it other wise one is always in the pipe.

5 Likes

100 % carry a round in the chamber. For my safety and others, you may NOT get a chance to do otherwise

5 Likes

Consensus says you could damage the extractor if you drop the slide on a loaded chamber!

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @Ronin4Actual

Some State and local laws require firearms to be unloaded and locked in a case in certain locations so some people who frequent these locations may be forced to do this quite often. These laws are supposedly to make people safer somehow but forcing people to handle their firearms more often, especially while having to try to be discreet about it in public parking lots, increases the chances for an accident.

There is also the concern as @Robert1246 pointed out, of storing a firearm with a loaded chamber in a safe or other location if there is a fire. I have read a couple of stories of firemen being injured when a stored firearm discharged due to excessive heating.

The only staged and round chambered firearms I keep in our home are loaded in quick access safes and pointed in a direction were they would have to go through several layers of steel then several more of wood, siding and insulation. Then if the bullet has any energy left it will be going into an empty field over the heads of responding firemen. They are also stored in a way that they will jam after the first round cooks off.The rest of our SD firearms are stored in “cruzer ready” mode. I want the firemen to feel safe fighting a fire at our home even though they could be hearing a lot of fireworks from my stored ammo.

3 Likes

d

Edit: This is what I get for posting a reply before reading down. Deleted as redundant, Shamrock and others already covered it

2 Likes

That is a good point.

And I I may add my own preference: If the gun doesn’t appreciate the fully loaded magazine, get a new gun to carry because that one is not reliable enough to bet your life on. A proper life-saving pistol should function with a loaded magazine (not to be confused with increased difficulty in inserting a fully loaded mag on a closed action, which may result in a spare being carried less than fully loaded…just that, once fully loaded with the mag fully seated, which you have all the time in the world to do when loading/holstering up…the gun should work)

But it’s a great thing to point out. We may not do the full top off +1 at the range, or only do it for the first mag and then not again the whole day…make a habit of testing your carry gun FULLY loaded at the range

4 Likes

The rounds are better in the magazine???

2 Likes

They are (safer in the mag than in the chamber, in a fire)

Loose rounds, which is essentially what rounds in the magazine are, do not pose a serious risk in a fire.

A chambered round, however, does run the risk of cooking off and coming out the barrel similar to how it would come out if it were fired.

I would rather account for that by storing the loaded, holstered handgun with the muzzle in a safe direction than have to administratively handle to load/unload the gun all the time, though. I think the constant handling and loaded poses more risk than the direction the gun is pointed in the event of a fire in case the chambered round cooks off.

2 Likes

If they are in the mag they are like a firecracker. If one is in the chamber it could fire load another and fire again load another…

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Ronin4Actual

3 Likes

Many will disagree, but my carry gun(s) and mags are never unloaded and always have a round in the chamber along with a fully loaded mag. Unless I am taking a gun to the range or clean I see no need to unload the carry ammo. I rotate the loaded mags through my carry and when I do I visually inspect for lint, etc.

6 Likes

@Ronin4Actual Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

I suspect that what you do is actually he most common approach. And I like it

3 Likes

Thank you. I can understand the concern in the case of a fire, and in those states that require weapons being unloaded and locked up. However, if the unloaded and locked up infringement doesn’t apply in the resident state, it doesn’t make sense to unload and lock up your weapon. Statistically speaking, you’re more likely to need your weapon in your house than you are in public.

1 Like

That is an interesting one.

Do you have the data on that? Like, where did you get that stat and can you link it?

I’m curious how that conclusion was reached. Because if it’s based on where a firearm is used more often, I don’t think the conclusion follows…more people have access to a firearm at home than they do out and about (more home defense guns out there than concealed carry guns on any given day)

IMO this stat would have to be based on the number of violent attacks that would justify lethal force. As in, aggravated assaults/attempted murder/murder/rape etc that occur when the victim is unarmed should count here…as we are trying to see where you would be more likely to need the gun, not where more people actually have the gun when they need it.

2 Likes

I don’t have the data on hand. I had to write a term paper last semester regarding misleading statistics. Compiling data from the FBI, Gun violence archives and the CDC websites, few self defense situations that result in the death of the attacker were in a public setting, the majority of self defense situations that resulted in a self defense shooting happened in a home.

6 Likes

I believe that.

But, I don’t think that speaks to where one is more likely to need a firearm. I think that speaks to where one is more likely to have access to a firearm

2 Likes

I am afraid I am not understanding your point of view. I believe that you’re more likely to need your firearms in self defense within the home, so why unload it and store it unless it is required in your state? Those were my thoughts on the matter. I carry everyday, everywhere I go and keep a couple of firearms loaded and staged in my house. There was no right or wrong answer.

2 Likes