What's your favorite self-defense ammunition?

@NJStraightShooter is he a Congo or Timneh? Mine is a Timneh, got him at 3 months old and its been like having a 3 to 5 year old child in the house for the past 20 years.

2 Likes

A Timneh. He is my baby mainly but I have been getting him use to going to my wife as her cat is getting older and she will need comfort from my baby (Merlin) when her cat’s time comes. He is so cute. 15 years old this month and he has a good vocabulary and still learning. He says “I’m scared” in such a sad voice and he knows when to say it and mean it. Unfortunately he says “Want some water?” whenever he wants Food or Water so I never really know what he wants. He also says “I love you.” in such an adorable way. They are the smartest of all parrots.

1 Like

My sister use to be a parrot breeder from paroletts to macaws (she had a breeding pair of hyacinths). The African grey (or at least mind) does not know he is not the biggest badest thing in the room. Mine chased away two macaws at the same time once because he thought they were to close to me.

2 Likes

Hornady Critical Defense ammo is my only choice!!!

2 Likes

A buddy of mine is the same way. He gave me a few mags worth when I first started carrying. I gave most of them back. XDs’ don’t like them, the feed ramp is a little too steep. That’s when I started carrying Federal HSTs. Every firearm I own loves them, so now I do too.

1 Like

My granddaughter and hubby were trying out the Sig Sauer Elite Performance 147gr hollow points in her Glock G43 9mm.
They stacked 5 1-gallon milk jugs of water for a penetration trap. Rounds went through 4 of them, stopped in the fifth. Here’s what they look like:
received_359886704944284

2 Likes

I recently purchased the NOVX self defense round and is currently what I am using for conceal carry. Anyone else using this round? I went through a 10 round mag at the range and fed fine.

1 Like

I have known wealthy people that own very expensive cars; Rolls, Ferrari, Lambo, etc. They normally leave the keys in them for two reasons. 1. Since they normally own a collection of cars they don’t want to look for a key when they want to use it. 2. It reduces damage if someone doesn’t have to break in for a joy ride. These cars are not normally stolen to part out because there is no demand for them (if you can afford $20,000 for an oil change in your Bugatti, you are not looking for used parts).

Back on topic, I have two 9mm carry guns. Each shoots Sig 124 gr. V-Crown and Barnes 115 gr. TAC-XPD +P just fine. However, one of the guns weighs 16 oz., empty, and the other 31 oz. empty. The Barnes recoil is too harsh for me in the lighter gun, so I carry the Sig in that one. The heavier gun gets the Barnes.

I load my very rarely carried 40 with either 165 gr. Golden Sabre or Sig V-Crown 165 gr.

Regarding chambering and re-chambering carry ammo, I measured all of my carry ammo recently. I found that most of it showed no significant compression of the bullet into the casing. However, I had experienced a problem with one gun “nose-diving” Sig V-Crown into the feed ramp. Those showed significant compression of the bullet into the casing - roughly 0.1". I fired them at the range with no noticeable difference from their peers.

1 Like

Federal HST 124 Grain +P Jacketed Hollow Point or Underwood 9mm +P+ 124 Grain Bonded Jacket Hollow Point

1 Like

Hornady Critical Defense for M&P Shield and Critical Duty for Glocks.

2 Likes

357 Magnum 158 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

1 Like

Depends on location location location when it comes to sending it. Other than that it’s common sense, life experiences, knowing when to holdem & knowing when to holdem and pray everyday.

Does anyone have an opinion on Federal SynTech Defense - 9mm 138 gr.? I recently ordered a couple boxes of it along with a couple boxes of HydraShock “Deep” (135 gr.) I have been carrying the Hornady Custom 124 gr. XTP for awhile. My problem has been finding any of the above mentioned on the shelves locally. I have been ordering it online when I run low. The only thing I can find locally is Critical Defense -115 gr. I like using the heavier round - 124 or 135 gr.

I don’t have any personal experience with it, but I found the below gel-tests/reviews on Youtube. In my personal $0.02 I consider Federal HST (124 or 147gr) and Speer Gold Dots (124 or 147gr) to be the gold standard in 9mm. There are others for sure, but those are my go-tos.

The syntech seems to have adequate penetration (personally I prefer over- rather than under-penetration) and seems to fragment well even through heavy denim. Also note that bullets in clear gel tend to go further than the regular opaque gel.

1 Like

Thanks for the videos. I had seen the first one (the guy with the distracting hand movements…:rofl:), but hadn’t seen the second one. I like that it is “affordable” compared to others. I might practice with it more. I originally ordered the two boxes to get the “free” Federal cap…:roll_eyes:

FYI: I tried to order ammo online today from Bass Pro Shop to be PICKED UP IN STORE. Because I live in Illinois (and our gun laws suck) they won’t ship ammo to the store…that sells ammo! I called BPS customer service and the lady told me that they don’t allow Illinois residents (thanks Chicago) to order ammunition, even if it’s shipped to the store. She said that I would have to wait until they get what I was trying to order back in stock.
So I ordered from Lucky :four_leaf_clover: Gunner - no problem!! :+1:t2:

I bought a large quantity of LE overrun from Winchster in both .40 and .45acp. It’s basically their latest “Ranger” series ammo but they had an overrun and sold it in the white boxes for little more than their normal FMJ practice ammo price.

Lots of good choices out the from the major mfg’s like Federal, Wichester, and Remington and you can’t really go wrong with any of them.

Corbon is another excellent choice, just not really up there with the big boys size wise nor do they have their advertising budget.