What's your favorite self-defense ammunition?

Well I currently have hollowpoints in my .38, my p89, and my vz/cz82. But am seriously looking at the new G2 R.I.P rounds. Not cheap by any means but looks like a formidable round. If it works in my 9 and wife’s .380 then these will be added to my magazines. They have then for .40s also. Here is their web site.,. http://g2rammo.com/

2 Likes

@Joe If I may, and no disrespect intended or implied, over-priced junky gimmick. Look up some YouTube videos of ballistics testing. Especially videos by Paul Harrell and tnoutdoors9.

3 Likes

NP … Just looked like good thinking type a.no at 25 yards or less. Videos I saw showed interesting wound characteristics. And haven’t tried them yet just thought I’d bring them into the ammo discussion.

4 Likes

Yeah, I just hate to see anyone spend that kind of money on a gimmick. Didn’t want you to waste your money. Plenty of great defensive rounds out there. One big problem I’ve seen /read about them is their accuracy.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the perceived aspect if your dragged into court.
“Why are you carry ammo that it Rest in Piece?”
“That means rapidly invasive projectiles.”
“I’ve always heard it as rest in piece, how about you members of the jury? To you intend to kill people?”

A silver tongue, anti-2A lawyer would paint you as a killer wanted to shoot people, not a law abiding citizen looking to protect yourself.

Now this conversation
“Why are you carrying that ammo?”
“It’s what law enforcement trust their lives to.”
Pretty solid argument there.

7 Likes

Federal HST for carry ammo.

6 Likes

Hornady Crit Defense is my go to.

4 Likes

Hornady Critical Defense 185
I usually shoot that ammo after 6 months of being in the magazines. The target ammo is 230 but I use the 185 for self defense.

4 Likes

What carry gun are you using with that 185 Ammo? I’m going to be buying a Shield 45 in late Spring. I’m a firm believer in switching to a lighter bullet in warm weather, for the lighter recoil and less penetration in light weather clothing.

2 Likes

I am using that in the SA XD Mod 2 45 3.3"

3 Likes

I’m also going to chime in on the Federal HST’s as my self defense ammo of choice. I just wish it came in bigger boxes than 20 rounds, when you have 15 round magazines you need to buy several boxes at once, and depending on where you get it from you get dirty looks.

Like a couple weeks ago i bought 2 200 round boxes of Remington FMJ for a range day. The lady at the counter started giving me some grief. She did not appreciate my response, but it did stop her protests long enough for me to buy the ammo and walk way.

2 Likes

Why would you get dirty looks, @Spence? You don’t live in CA or NY…

2 Likes

Unfortunately Michigan is on it’s way to being like those two states. It pains me to no end, but there’s no fighting it. In 10 years or so Michigan will be a solid blue, anti-freedom state.

3 Likes

Hopefully the pendulum will swing back toward center before that, Justin.

2 Likes

I can hope, but recent politics have put a screwing to that. Recreational Marijuana was put on the ballot, DNC endorsed it, GOP refused to. So when the midterms came out, every non-voter in support of marijuana came out and voted for it, then they spite voted everything else. Including the “anti-gerrymandering” bill, which LEGALIZED gerrymandering, it actually authorizes the AG to form a committee to redistrict the entire state as they see fit. We now have an extremely left wing Governor and AG. They want Michigan to be a Sanctuary State, they want to destroy the Second Amendment.
Now add our shrinking economy, a lot and I do mean a LOT of moderate to right wing voters are heading to other states with better economies and more opportunities.

Pretty sure the Pendulum stopped at far left.

2 Likes

Michigan has been through a lot over the last decade, @Spence. The pendulum needs to be shaken loose… :frowning:

3 Likes

@Spence, I’m very fortunate to have a local shop that caters to Law Enforcement. They allow civilians like me to shop there and I can get a 50 round box of 9mm HST’s for $25. So two reasons for me to use HST’s.

1. They’re just good rounds.
  2. I can get 50 rounds for what I would normally pay for 20 rounds.

Went in the other day and they had a department trade in…they didn’t use all of the ammo they purchased…50 rounds for $17. :flushed:

2 Likes

I carry Sig V crown in my semi autos and Hornady Critical Defense 110gr FTX in my .38

I shoot it occasionally at the range…but usually when it’s time to swap it out for fresh carry ammo.

3 Likes

Remington Golder Sabor in my 9mm and Federal Hydro Shocks in my 45.

2 Likes

Personally, I like Hornady Critical Defense and Winchester Silver Tips. They shoot about the same for me. However, since I’m not a rich person, I don’t burn much defensive ammo and I don’t feel there’s a need to. I do burn a lot of “practice” ammo though, and I rotate my defensive ammo completely like every 2 years. Never had a misfire with defensive ammo either. Quite surprised with that and glad that much QA goes into those rounds. I like to shoot as inexpensively as I can, but with complete confidence that my gun will shoot when I need it to.

2 Likes