What powder for 9MM?

So, I ended up with a fancier press than what I originally planned on getting. I was going to get a Lee Pro 1000, but wound up with an unused Dillon Square Deal B for 9mm at a fair price below retail. I was chatting with some people during a range class about starting to reload and one of the guys had one he purchased a while back but never set up due to changes in personal circumstances.

Will be getting a reloading manual. I saw one on the Dillon site when I was checking the prices of the SDB. It’s the Complete Reloading Manual for 9mm. Also getting a powder scale. Already have a good set of calipers.

All I’m ever going to reload is 9mm 124gr and 147gr FMJ for range use. I do not plan on competing. I normally position my target at 10-15 yards. Once in a while, I would do 25 yards with my AR9 or CX4 Storm. I mostly use an indoor range so, I prefer as little smoke as possible.

There’s a variety of powders available for pistol loads out there. What do you guys use for 9mm and why?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

I rely on what is in “Lyman” reloading handbook. Different powers will give you different results. NEVER EVER mix different types powers together unless you know exactly what you are doing. I have been preloading for a very long time and have never mixed powder brands.

Also no matter what manual you use remember to buy the updates when they come out. The new up to date information is well worth the price.

Now to your question, I went and asked around locally what was always going to be in stock (or their go to order stock) and made my choice off of that information. Common brand name that is easy to get and follow the book to get the results you want.

I did find out early with 9mm some of my handguns do NOT like the lightest recommended loads. I also have no need for HOT loads so I try to stay in the middle to just above middle of the range the book offers.

Hope that helps you out.

Don

Almost forgot, check your local regulations. Some places have a limit of what you can have “on hand” in your home like how many primers and how much powered (not loaded). Some also required you to have a special container depending on the amount you have. Your local reloading supply house should be able to help you with part of this and let you know where to find the rest.

Enjoy and stay safe.

Don

3 Likes

I’m partial to Win 231 (When I can find it) as it has been my go to 45 ACP powder for decades and it translates nicely to 9mm and 40 S&W. It’s very clean burning and works across platforms. Stay away from Unique, Bullseye or Red Dot if you want clean powder.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Someone told me IMR Trail Boss was best for pistols. My dad said I was gullible and you know what? I believe him.

I actually shoot a lot of trailboss in revolvers. Probably not the best for 9mm. Trailboss is designed for reduced loads in large capacity cases such as are popular for Cowboy action shooting. It is actually shaped like little donuts to make it a high bulk powder. In other words, you can’t get enough in a case to make it dangerous. But don’t let it fool you cause like anything handloading, you can make it dangerous. Anyway, how I use it is I never load in special cases, (38 special, 44 special, etc). In all my revolvers I use magnum-length cases but use a full charge of trailboss to get it to special velocity levels. Why? You might ask? Cause when you shoot specials in a chamber, it creates a crud ring that will make it hard to chamber magnum cartridges. And I also shoot a lot of magnums too, cause I like to party. Anyway, that was way too much about trailboss and not enough on 9mm powders.

9mm powders I use are CFE pistol, Power Pistol, and Sport pistol. In fact I just got set up and the cases out of the tumbler for tonight. After the boys go to bed, I am going to crank out about 500 9mm with a 124 grain frontier plated bullet on top of CFE pistol. Sorry, don’t give loads out over the internet and never accept load data unless you are looking at it on the manufacturers website directly. And get manuals. Paper ones. And read them. You will be surprised what you learn. And read the inserts and instructions that come with your dies and press.

2 Likes

Thank you. I did not know that and will check regulations.

1 Like

I agree 100% Win 231 has been my go to powder for many years

4 Likes

A consideration for a new to reloading person is how not to screw up by either overloading (fast burning powder) or under loading (little or no powder). Even as a long time reloader I’m conscious of this. 9mm is hard to see into on a the press. So I usually choose a powder that gives middle of the road velocity and at least a half full case, around 5.5gr or so. It’s easy to see the powder and if you double up it will overfill and spill out. Just my 2 cents. W231 certainly fits and I like Power Pistol as well.

5 Likes

Yes. I heard Power Pistol fits that bill because it would be close to overflowing on a double charge. Will take that into consideration. Thanks!

2 Likes

As noted it doesn’t take a lot of powder in a 9. There are 7000 grains/lb and at a 5 grain load that’s a bunch of 9mm. I’ve used AA 5 and Universal with success. Check every few loads to insure throws are still in line and I visually inspect each case. Remember that with small charges even a few tenths of a grain makes a BIG difference. With a rifle cartridge using 40 grains of powder .2 grains difference in charge weight doesn’t mean much, with a 4 grain charge that’s a huge %

2 Likes