What is the smallest cartridge that you would elk hunt with?

Lot’s of people are into the magnums now. But I’m sure the 30-06 worked fine back in the day. Would you use a 308? What about a 7mm-08?

2 Likes

I use a 30-06 180 gr Core- lokt for bull and have used 165gr hornady for cow elk my wife uses 160gr Barnes Vor-tx 7 REM Mag for cow or bull. She use to shoot a 308 and shoot a cow using her father’s 150 gr Core-lokt reloads. I tend to go bigger rather than smaller for hunting big game. Someone told me they used a 243 for elk but I don’t remember what grain or sex.

3 Likes

Usually a 270 for me. I’ve carried a 243 but never took a shot.
I was with my dad years ago, we had walked around the Uintah’s for a couple of days with no luck. He got tired of carrying his 30.06 and changed to a 243, you guessed it, we took a bull, luckily he was pretty close and clear, my dad being really good with a long gun did it in one shot.

3 Likes

Probably a double-sprung Cabriolet…oh, you said “cartridge”, not “carriage”. Never mind.

3 Likes

150 grain cup and core bullet or??

2 Likes

I’ve seen a 100 grain 243 not exit a whitetail. I won’t be attempting that on elk.

1 Like

Used a .308 on my one and only elk hunt. The shot was only about 50-70 yards. But I’d be comfortable going out to 200 yards with my current .308 setup.

3 Likes

I’ve been planning a Bison hunt and the guide advised me I could use my .308 but to use a Barnes Vor-tx 168 gr. I would be pretty sure if it’s good enough for a Bison it’s good enough for an Elk.

3 Likes

Been a while but If memory serves:

Hornady American Whitetail

– Caliber: 243 Winchester
– Grain: 100
– Bullet Type: BTSP Interlock

3 Likes

I have a friend who has taken several bison with a 308. Not sure what round he was using but might be the Barnes.

I wasn’t super impressed with the Barnes round on my elk. It left a very small exit hole and very little blood trail to follow. Think it might have been due to how close I was. Suspect the petals peeled back very quickly at the higher velocity. But that is a sample size of one and a lot of people seem to really like it.

3 Likes

.308, but many have been taken with a .30.30, depends on the person behind the rifle.

2 Likes

.308 would be the “lowest power” I would use. The variety of available loads make it a winner.

4 Likes