What is the most powerful handgun cartridge you will shoot?

I am an old, fat guy, and a fairly new shooter - about a year. I’ve shot .41 Magnum - just one wheel’s worth - through a buddy’s gun. I find .45 ACP controllable. I recently inherited a Hardballer Long Slide that I’m eager to put some through, not really interested in trying anything bigger. No grizzlies in south Texas. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

the recoil from a 44 mag Desert Eagle, to me, is comparable to a .40 cal…DE is a heavy gun

2 Likes

I am willing to shoot any caliber handgun, at least once. I love a challenge.

4 Likes

I just sold a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. It was an ok gun–I don’t really like revolvers.
I shot a TC Contender in .35 Remington with a muzzle brake for 20 years and harvested scores of deer with it. Great gun, loved it–but I didn’t wearing hearing protection when I hunted, and now I wear hearing aids. It was the only time I know I damaged my ears. The ringing would last for 3-4 days.
I have found from a handgun perspective, I really like the 10 mm in a semiauto. it is by far the most accurate pistol i have shot.

1 Like

It’s more about the ratio of the power of the cartridge to the weight of the gun that matters. I have a S&W model 69 that kicks harder with full-house magnum loads than the 454 Casull that I shot once, less powerful cartridge in the 69 but also a much lighter gun. For that matter, I don’t normally like to shoot more than a box of 158 grain 38 special +P out of a S&W 642 in a session, but I could shoot them out of a model 10 all day long. I reload lighter loads for both the 69 and the 642 so that they are more enjoyable (for me) to shoot. S&W makes the scandium model 329 in 44 magnum, but given that it regularly breaks the skin of those who dare to shoot it bare handed, I have no desire to shoot one at all…ever.

That said, my recoil tolerance has gone up over time. I can remember when I thought full-house 357 magnums were something in a full-size gun. I guess I still do find my 180 grain loads to be a little bit of a handful in an SP101, but in my Bisley Vaquero, I don’t think there is any standard pressure 357 magnum would even register on me now.

And there’s another thing. Grips. Grips matter. I’ve had wood grips that felt wonderful holding the gun but that would punish me under recoil because recoil brought some edge to bear on the webbing of my hand that wasn’t there before. With some guns the trigger guard will beat you up unless you get grips that fill it. I had the X frame grips on my 69, and that was better than the originals, but ultimately, even after purchasing a pair of custom made Herrett Jordan Trooper stocks for it, I wound up with cheap Hogue monogrips that don’t even cover the backstrap. They work pretty well for me. The Troopers were awesome for light loads, and with heavy loads they were good for converting the sharp recoil to a roll, but after awhile I didn’t like how the top of the grips would roll over the webbing of my hand. But if you are going to shoot heavy loads, you may need to change the grips to ones that suit you.

3 Likes

Still waiting on it to come out!

1 Like

2 Likes

oldie but goodie

I carry either a 10mm 1911 Using buffalo bore jhps,or a Smith&Wesson 629 44 magnum 6in barrel using buffalo bore heavy ammo.Ive shot a 50 cal Desert Eagle…500 Smith& Wessons…I’ll shoot anything.Anytime.Anywhere the law allows and some where it doesn’t.

1 Like

That font reminded me of another TV character obsessed with more power.

3 Likes

I guess I would shoot anything at least once. I think the largest handgun caliber I have shot was the .454 Casull. It was not much fun… but I fired off a few rounds. That was enough. I have shot a lot of .44 Mag, probably the most painful was the Buffalo Bore, I think it was 340gn or in the vicinity.

3 Likes

I had a 45-70 single shot handgun for a while. Used to have a scar on a knuckle from the spur on the trigger guard…
I ended up selling it because it was sensitive to grip pressure causing point of impact change.

1 Like

Now that is a boom stick!

1 Like

So far, a short barrel .44 Mag with Buffalo Bore “+P+” 340 grain. Carried it in Alaska

3 Likes

Mid-range .44 Magnums like the old UMC 240 gr. leads are the most this ol boy can take any more.

2 Likes

How old are you?

What’s your name? How old are you?
Now I have the dirty version of “Gloria” from The Doors stuck in my head…