What is the best caliber for self defense?

We might not have a .40 if the FBI and S&W hadn’t “Frankenstein” it

1 Like

Why the Sundays differ from other days?

1 Like

Could you please share your thoughts about polymer ammo on the thread linked below? There are few people who are interested in using it.
Thx

2 Likes

I had not heard about that! Do you have anymore information on that?

2 Likes

Smith & Wesson and Winchester introduced .40 Cal bullets in 1990, just six months after the Federal Bureau of Investigation requested the development of an ammunition with the stopping power of the .45 ACP

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/which-firearms-and-ammo-do-police-use/

4 Likes

That was a good read,… thanks for the information!

2 Likes

Anytime. Would have provided more from the jump had I known, this lead to my first pistol purchase of a .40

2 Likes

I think the answer to that is very individualized. While I am particularly fond of .40, I have firearms ranging from 9mm to .357 Magnum. From all that I have read, pretty much anything 9mm or above is adequate for self defense, as long as you can shoot it reasonably well. I personally would be reluctant to go below 9mm, but again, it depends on what you can shoot well.

4 Likes

The polymer tipped ammo for the 5.7 is the LE ammo. Specific to the 5.7, it’s a high velocity round that tumbles quite rapidly upon entry to prevent overpenetration.
I haven’t used any ammo that shoots a polymer bullet.
Anecdotally, there is a likeness to shotgunning at this point, given the plastic wads and shells–and yes, there is plastic buildup with a LOT of shooting. That seems to come out easily though.
Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

2 Likes

It does not matter which caliber you choose. Just always remember there is a lawyer attached to every bullet !!!

7 Likes

I once knew a vet who rounded a corner in Italy and came face to face with a German. They both did a quick draw. His .45 jammed but his buddy shoot the German. He threw away the .45 and carried the Luger for the rest of the war.

2 Likes

What oil should I use?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

1 Like