What have you done recently to Prep, guns, gear, ammo, etc

What is that a mixture of?

I’ve tried Large Black Hogs. Tamworth, Duroc, GOS and others. They all seem to root. Some just worse than others.

I got my first load of food to store in my freeze dryer, what I normally have for breakfast made into a bite sized piece, made from frozen blueberries, chai seeds, protien powder, cranberry powder, spinach powder, banana powder and milk.

Next load will be cooked hamburger and shredded chicken.

After than, may try to make bites of baby rice cereal eith protein powder and chia seeds…

3 Likes

At first I was packing to much into each mylar bag trying to get the most for my money. I realized that if I have to get into this emergency food and there is no power, I would have to eat the entire contents b4 it goes bad. Pack for number you have to feed.

4 Likes

Very good point. I have been guilty of this myself. :+1:

1 Like

I would be feeding anywhere from 2 people to 9 since my wife says when all goes crazy, she is inviting her entire family over…

I did order 600 of the gallon sized bags and 300 of each of the other sizes from HR

2 Likes

My wife’s whole side of the family think that anyone with more than 3 days worth of food in the pantry is a hoarder. I unfortunately don’t have the space or money to stock up for all of them. Just have to hope they can’t find enough gas to drive here when the shortages really start kicking in this fall.

2 Likes

Dried beans and rice work well but the beans after time become too hard to cook and eat. I am not sure of the shelf life of beans but, I tend to rotate the beans from time to time. I also have wheat, bulger, oat grains, and quinoa. Quinoa is a high protein grain. Good grain to have. Knowing your herbs is a good way to have a good asset that grows for free. Mushroom hunting is something someone might try too!
Knowing how to process sea salt is a win, win situation too! Everybody needs salt on their popcorn!

3 Likes

Anyone with little fishies and birdies at home may want to stock up now. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thomas Laboratories - Thomas Labs Pet Pharmaceutical Manufacturer - Thomas Labs – FishMoxFishFlex.com

I would also suggest. :+1:

NEW! Educational Complete Set: 3 Paperback Books and 1 USB With 27 Presentations - Doom and Bloom ™ Shop

1 Like

Solar generator bought and used. A little late on the timeline but last fall. Works great. Canning more meat and such. Busy winter

2 Likes

We are our own first responders more and more. They want us "stoned, stupid and starving.

3 Likes

This is why we all need GHB in our cars, and watch the weather before a trip.
TOUGH OLD MAN. :+1: :+1:

INSIDER
INSIDER
](Microsoft News)

An 81-year-old man trapped in a major California snowstorm for a week says he survived by eating snow and croissants he had in his car

Story by rcohen@insider.com (Rebecca Cohen) • 11h ago

[image]

Jerry Jouret was stuck under the snow in his Ford Escape for a week before being rescued on March 2. Inyo County Sheriff's Office

Jerry Jouret was stuck under the snow in his Ford Escape for a week before being rescued on March 2. Inyo County Sheriff’s Office© Provided by INSIDER

• An 81-year-old man stuck under the snow in his car for a week survived by eating croissants he had in his car.
  • Jerry Jouret was on his way from California to Nevada when a rare serious winter storm hit the area.
  • He was found and saved a week later. His brother called his rescue “a miracle.”

An 81-year-old man who got buried in his car for a week after a major California snowstorm told his brother he survived by eating snow and the croissants he had in his car.

Jerry Jouret of Big Pine, California, set out for Gardnerville, Nevada, on February 24 — just before several feet of snow was dumped on The Golden State.

What should have been a three-hour drive for Jouret turned into a seven-day ordeal.

On the morning of February 24, the California Highway Patrol warned residents that harsh weather was moving in and advised drivers to be careful on the roads, according to a Facebook post.

Fox Weather reported that Jouret told his family that the major freeway he’d normally take — Highway 395 — was closed due to snow and ice, so he opted to take the smaller Highway 168 instead to make it to Gardnerville.

But because the snow and wind were making visibility difficult, he accidentally veered onto an even smaller road where he got stuck — only 15 miles from the start of his journey.

Holed up in his dark green Ford Escape, Jouret later told his brother he survived the seven days and six nights until he was rescued by eating snow and croissants he had in his car.

3 Likes

Tough guy but not very smart driving off into a blizzard! The primary road being closed should have been a good indication that the secondary roads would be a mess as well.

I just added a set of thin Mylar sleeping bags and thin poly liner bags to our family vehicle. I usually keep regular sleeping bags in the back in the winter but my wife keeps pulling them out to make room for her skis and other stuff. These are small enough to fit in the spare tire well so she won’t have any excuse to pull them out unless she needs to change the tire. Wouldn’t be the most comfortable nights sleep in them but they reflect enough heat to keep you alive. Also have a bunch of emergency food bars, some ramen and a tiny cook stove in the tire well along with some spare jackets and additional useful items, plus a 4 gallon water jug in the back.

We do a lot of exploring on remote roads and can’t rely on anyone else coming by to help us out of a jam.

4 Likes

Nancy is always “grousing” about what I carry in my 4x4 in the back and I have what she would need in her car.

2 Likes

Yeah my work vehicle is a whole other story. I often have to camp for a week or more at a time in very remote areas where no tow truck is ever gonna get to. It is crammed full of supplies and repair and recovery gear. Not as much as some of those overland folks you see with all their extra gear strapped to their roof and bumpers. But almost:)

1 Like

My real worry is an EMP, that’s the Stone Age, no comms, unless you consider smoke signals comms! That’s the best we’ve got.
Pretty much, less worried about nuclear! If it goes nuclear, we’re all done!
Haven’t figured out how to Faraday Cage my house and car!

2 Likes

Lots and Lots of tin foil. :rofl:

2 Likes

They make them for houses and vehicles. The military is using some of their stuff. If money wasn’t so tight I would get one for my house and work vehicle. Though there are conflicting reports on whether or not vehicles would be permanently effected by an EMP. In the one legitimate test I saw the simulated EMP shut the car down but they were able to start it back up a few minutes later. But better safe than sorry if you can afford it.

3 Likes

Copper wire mesh grid that is grounded well.

2 Likes

Actually not a bad price point, if it’s guaranteed! From the little that I read, seems like it protects only that which is plugged in. Not something like my electronic safe.

1 Like

That’s my understanding. Only plugged in items.

I know a couple people who’s homes got hit by lightning who lost a bunch of electronics and in one case it started a fire in the house’s wiring. So it is likely worth it just for the lightning protection alone. You’d probably need an electrician to properly hook up the house model but the car model is supposed to be do it yourself.

I saw a presentation from one of the employees awhile ago. The only downsides I saw were that the car model doesn’t work with hybrids or electric cars with lithium batteries and if you have solar panels with individual micro inverters on each panel then it won’t protect the inverters but the rest of the house would be safe.

2 Likes