What do you need for your new gun?

You’ve gotten a new gun - whether it’s your first gun or your 50th gun - there are things you will want to get/do first with that new firearm.

What is the first thing you purchase or do for your new firearm?

4 Likes

I buy a holster to fit that gun.

7 Likes

Get range ammo, disassemble and clean, perform functional tests without ammo, dry fire, then live fire.

After several hundred rounds with no issues, test with variety of self-defense ammo.

8 Likes

Function check, then dump it in isopropyl alcohol (hmmm… impossible now), clean and lube.
Range next day. If all good then time for holster.

4 Likes

The detail clean as mentioned above. Then the search for magazines or speed loaders begins. In general I like at least 6 magazines. That being said the search for LAR Grizzly magazines has born no fruit and the ones that I found sold were going for $300+ each :astonished: :astonished: :anguished:

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

Two extra mags, unless you buy your wife a Kimber then it’s three extra mags. Really? Who ships a gun with one mag. Strip and clean. Shoot and enjoy.
Craig

3 Likes

I shoot it a few times first, then if I like it, get extra mags. If not, it goes where the 84FS lives…

3 Likes

Here’s my answer in the number order.

1. Ammo
  2. Case to carry/ store the gun (if it doesn’t come with one, I hate taking a cardboard box to the range)
  3. Holster (if applicable)
  4. Extra mags
3 Likes

Clean it, shoot it, and clean it again, looking for any wear etc.

2 Likes

All of the above sounds about right! :+1:

2 Likes

Anybody want to take bets on how long till @Craig6 decides to manufacture his own? :smiley:

3 Likes

Assuming it is for EDC, this is generally what I consider doing before carrying (no particular order):

• Good cleaning to make sure manufacturer storage oil is cleaned off.
  • New oil applied as needed.
  • Function test of 200-400 rounds with both target and defensive ammo to determine reliability, diagnose early stage break-in or QC issues, and ensure POI vs POA with chosen loads… also test all of the magazines for issues.
  • Pickup a quality holster for carry (meeting personal standards and requirements).
  • Practice carrying firearm in holster and make adjustments as needed.
  • Practice with snap caps drawing and firing from holster for muscle memory.
  • Pickup spare magazines (personally, my minimum is 3, but prefer 5… although if magazines are compatible with other carry firearms that number can easily be higher).
6 Likes

@Gary_H There I was all bummed out about the mags costing so much and then you come along and put an idea in my head that I didn’t need !!!

Lesseeee…
Forming blocks,
beating dowel,
modified sheet metal brake,
Tig weld
Spring, where to get the spring…

See what you did!! :crazy_face:

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

I already have several holsters and I recently picked up a couple of MagPul spare magazines. I prefer MagPul to Glock factory.
Next is a Vortex Viper red dot.

1 Like

with a new gun, I try to shoot 100-500 rounds through it depending on what it is. Pistol, usually 500. Then I find what ammo or load it likes best for both range and defense.
Then I buy a holster if I like it.

Most recent gun is the Ruger 57. I’ve shot it a bunch and like it. Defensive load is picked out. I am working up a range load now, and have a crossbreed IWB holster for it. I’m tossing around adding the Vortex Viper. This is the main pistol I’ll be carrying at church on the security team, and I can see the red dot being helpful. Pun intended.

3 Likes

Ammo and extra mags from the shop, holster if applicable (I usually buy one to have with me when I pick it up the new gun)

Field strip, clean and give a good lube job working lube into all moving parts for an even coating, wipe excess.

Practice time.

1 Like

Picked up my Savage 308 on Wednesday, complete cleaning and oiling. Put the
bolt in and now it is time for the scope. I need a scope with a Tremor 3 reticle.
After much searching - I have found that any of the scopes I want start at about
$2000. May have to save some more before that purchase. Mike_T. :grimacing:

4 Likes

I’m waiting on the Vortex Viper. I think it is being shipped around the world based on the estimated delivery times.

3 Likes

Gary, that’s the dude that has shot 250,000 to 400,00 rounds…maybe Craig will manufacture and get another retirement!!!

1 Like

I had to research, haven’t heard of it…looks trick! We have several Vortex optics.

2 Likes