What do you do if the permit holder dies

What do you do if you have weapons that belong to your husband and he dies? I live in Florida, How do I sell them?

2 Likes

I think that is going to depend on your state laws. In Louisiana, they would belong to you, unless he willed them to someone else. I am assuming normal guns, (not suppressors or NFA items).

1 Like

I live in Florida and how do I sell them

1 Like

Unfortunately all depends on the type of firearm and the State where the decedent last resided.
It may even happen that the firearm will not go to the person named in the Will (if such exists).
If @MikeBKY won’t answer soon
 my guess is that the best way to find the answer is to contact your local FFL.

4 Likes

That is good advice, you can find a list of Federal Firearm Licensees (FFLs) here: FFL Gun Dealers Shops in Florida

I probably wouldn’t go to or call Walmart if they are still listed :-1:

Edit: if you scroll down, there is a list of towns and counties you can use to find FFLs in your area.

4 Likes

I am sorry but I do not know what Florida law is with respect to the transfer of firearms, although,I do not believe they have any significant barriers beyond what is prohibited by federal law. I would believe that upon the death of a spouse, they would pass under a will or under state law for intestate succession. I agree with others that an FFL could probably answer this question or contact a Florida probate attorney.

5 Likes

We have a friend of the family that is in a similar situation here in VA. The issue with selling a gun collection of any size (say more than 6 pieces) is in finding someone to pay “fair market value”. The solution we have developed is to find a non biased individual to determine that value (in this case my FIL and Me, mostly me) and THEN place them on consignment with an FFL that is willing to broker them at an agreed upon value. Some FFL’s will want a flat fee per item + cost (actual shipping, ppwk, taxes etc.) others will want a percentage of the sale price + cost. Selling direct to the FFL usually nets you about $0.60 on the dollar, they have to eat too. If they are regular run of the mill guns this works well but if you happen to have highly collectable guns such as non imported military rifles/pistols or unobtanium like Colt Python’s, Auto Mag’s, SAA’s and similar things get wild pretty quickly.

Providing FL does not have Universal Background Checks (I don’t believe they do) you could sell them yourself but that option is sketchy if you are not familiar with the gun world and if you sell too many you could cross the grey Federal Line of “Conducting Business”. All of the above goes out the window if you have NFA items, just because it looked like a wooden stocked rifle doesn’t mean it’s not a Resling sub machine gun (as a for instance).

Selling guns in general is always a loosing proposition but from your posts it would appear the inheritor just wants them gone as quickly as possible and probably for as much as possible, in general those two concepts are mutually exclusive.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

@Jack82

Handgun Purchase & Possession

PURCHASE PERMITS?

Is a permit required to purchase a handgun in Florida? No. A permit is not required when purchasing a handgun in Florida. The minimum age to purchase a firearm is 21.

BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR PRIVATE GUN SALES?

Are background checks required for private gun sales in Florida? No. Florida has no law requiring a background check on the purchaser of a firearm when the seller is not a licensed dealer. However, the Florida Constitution states the following:

“Each county shall have the authority to require a criminal history records check and a three to five day waiting period (excluding weekends and legal holidays) in connection with the sale of any firearm occurring within such county. For purposes of this subsection, the term ‘sale’ means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration for any firearm when any part of the transaction is conducted on property to which the public has the right of access. Holders of a concealed weapons permit as prescribed by general law shall not be subject to the provisions of this subsection when purchasing a firearm.”

[Fla. Const. art. VIII, § 5(b)]

FLORIDA PERMIT EXEMPTS FROM BACKGROUND CHECK?

Does my current Florida concealed carry permit exempt me from needing a background check when I purchase a firearm? No.

WAITING PERIOD?

Is there a waiting period after purchasing a handgun in Florida? Yes, it is either 3 business days or the time it takes to complete the required criminal background check — whichever occurs later. However, the waiting period does not apply to holders of concealed weapons permits.

HANDGUN REGISTRATION?

Do handguns need to be registered in Florida? No. Florida does not require handgun registration.

MINIMUM AGE TO POSSESS AND TRANSPORT?

What is the minimum age to possess and transport a handgun in Florida? You must be at least 18 years old to possess or transport a handgun in Florida, except in the following situations.

A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a firearm, other than an unloaded firearm at his or her home, unless:

• The minor is engaged in a lawful hunting activity and is:
  1. At least 16 years of age; or
  2. Under 16 years of age and supervised by an adult.
  • The minor is engaged in a lawful marksmanship competition or practice or other lawful recreational shooting activity and is:
  1. At least 16 years of age; or
  2. Under 16 years of age and supervised by an adult who is acting with the consent of the minor’s parent or guardian.
  • The firearm is unloaded and is being transported by the minor directly to or from an event authorized in paragraph (a) or paragraph (b).

[Fla. Stat. §§790.17 and 790.22]

POSSESS A HANDGUN ON MY PRIVATE PROPERTY WITHOUT A PERMIT?

Can I possess/carry a handgun in my home without a permit? Yes. Anyone legally entitled to carry a firearm may open or conceal carry in his or her home or place of business without a permit.

[ Fla. Stat. § 70.25(3)(n) ]

Back to Quick Links

4 Likes

Take photos and show us. Maybe you can find some people interested. Frankly, I wouldn’t want my wife trying to sell guns in person unless she had someone experienced and licensed to carry. I do have a friend. But setting them up through a vendor online does sound like a good option.

Tacking on a bit. Your best bet is through consignment at an FFL.

As @Craig6 notes, the FFL will take a cut of the transaction, but it relieves you of all the burden of needing to know all the laws and ins/outs of the transaction and keeps you safe from having to meet strangers for in-person sales. If you agree to let them have a percent instead of a flat-rate it means it’s in their best interest to get the highest dollar amount possible.

If you aren’t knowledgeable about firearms, and you don’t have a trusted friend/family member to help an FFL is your best source for info.

2 Likes

I live here in Florida and would be glad to walk you thru the process, I’m in mid-Florida by The Villages you can converse on here or if you would like just give me a call.

Bill Hall
352-459-9334

3 Likes

Our sympathies on the passing of your husband, @Jack82. @Bill50 is a trainer with the USCCA and local-ish. He might be a great resource for you.

I’m guessing you might be logging in through his account, if so, please give the USCCA a call at 877-677-1919 and we can cancel his account for you.

2 Likes