What defines "printing"? A topic for the new concealed carry folks

@BigdodgedemoN

:joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

I know in Utah, we have open carry without a permit. However, if my shirt covers any part of the firearm, it would be considered “concealed” so it would be illegal without having your CWP. If you have your CWP, then you can conceal however you want. Now, the idea of “printing” in the case of Utah is totally subjective to whether you are permitted or not. So, no issues with printing legally.
As far as concealing and keeping it completely out of discern ability, I believe comfort and body type have a lot to do with it. I’m on the hefty side, so I had to find a holster that would not allow printing (as much) since I kidney carry. I would like to appendix carry, but the profile of the firearm can be more discernible from the front… simple tip, wear larger sized loose shirts.

5 Likes

In the summer a T - Shirt with a paddle holster for my 9 C, I never worry about printing

3 Likes

This is how I know I’m printing!
I live summer 365, touristy area and was in art business, so I’m the Hawaiian shirt guy, never have a problem printing. I have the right belt, right holster. I can move freely about in crowds, art galleries, art fairs, crowded stores, grocery shopping etc. I never touch my rig in public, never flinch when people get too close. I just seems too natural to carry that I just go about my day as any non carrying hoplophobe would except, I’m the one checking to see if you are carrying!
Most people out there are too oblivious or on the phone! The only one that knows I am carrying is me.
And that guy if I truly screwed up! Like reaching for Fruit Loops with strong hand. Actually I don’t worry about that either, my rig is so tight, it leaves an impression on my hip. Kimber 1911 3” .45 IWB 4:00 kydex holster. Happiness!
Okay, I’ll admit it took two years of asking my wife, can you see it, can you see it, til one day she said it made me look fat. I never asked again. That was over eleven years ago.

8 Likes

My Iphone actually prints more than my EDC. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Does your phone have a handle? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No, but it can create a bit of a bulge. :wink:

4 Likes

I can agree with this. I hav an IPhone 8 Plus and it does show more print than my FNS 40 :joy:.

4 Likes

All the comments are great! I would also add your actions can constitute printing. I mean your gun can be completely concealed and your mannerisms are printing like tugging on your shirt, confidence checking your gun every 5 mins etc… the only way to get comfortable with the process is to just do it as much as possible. O f course pay attention to your clothing and get a great holster, heck get 2 0r 3 and try them out. Everyone has to go on that journey so best to just hop on and best of luck.

6 Likes

Great advice @Eric137 and welcome to the family!

3 Likes

I have worn a “cowboy” hat and a Hawaiian shirt together, just not with cowboy boots :grin: - I don’t own cowboy boots. :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you.

4 Likes

@Eric137. Welcome to the community, Train Hard And Stay Safe :smiley:

2 Likes