What are the biggest issues facing firearms owners today?

Last July when the shortages started rolling I purchased 2k rounds of 9mm.
I don’t own anything chambered in 9.
I would get to my range 30-45m before my reservation & when ppl came in to pick up their 1st firearm & the guy behind the counter said they had no ammo he would then point to me. I resold it at the same pre-panic prices I had gotten it.
Am I running a charity, no. This is for my own safety.
Anyone withholding ammo while 8.4 million new gun owners aren’t able to practice is a problem.

I think it is too late. We have no legacy behind us. Youth activities in the shooting sports are just about gone. 40 years ago we would have 30-40 active junior shooters in clubs. Now we are lucky to have one junior show up at a match. NJROTC and NCAA Collegiate shooting is pretty much finished. High school matches are defiantly finished - when I was in high school we had a shooting range under the football field bleachers. Can you imaging that now?

1 Like

Hear you. Just when our industry suffered a perfect storm in 2020, lowering volume of guns and ammo, while prices increased, I think that when the elections went Blue in 2021, it took another hit of even more buy ups and increased demand. Initially, I believed those who predicted it would loosen up in 2021, but now I’m guessing, this could last much longer.

Wondering if the manufacturers will catch up Vs. if the elections go Red again in four years, if that could be a milestone shift for "availability? Positive note, more “owners”?

To touch on what @James403 was saying about youth shooting sports. The problem in our area with youth shooting sports, is a lack of instructors. Our county 4H has shotgun, archery, and rifles. These are volunteers. I coach rifles, my brother-in-law shotgun, and a lifetime friend archery. In our area, we have 4H, and high school shooting teams. More knowledgeable 2A enthusiasts, need to volunteer their time to work with kids.
And, the manufacturers are supportive as well. Deals on Ammo, and equipment. 2A groups like Friends of the NRA make donations, in both money and equipment (Ammo). Our local politicians have a 2A caucus, from which there are monetary donations. The local businesses let these programs use their facilities for WAY under cost. The range we shoot rifles at, let’s the kids shoot for 10% of an annual membership. As much as we want. We just have to work around CCW range times at the range, which isn’t hard.

1 Like

Our culture has made it “risky” to get involved with juniors! In the 80’s I was heavily involved with NRA junior programs as an instructor and coach. Now, There is no way I would be around juniors!

1 Like

Screw the imperialist cancel culture scum. If you want to work with the young’in’s, then do it. Some things weren’t popular in 1776, but brave men and women did them anyway. If we go quietly into the night, we have lost already. I’m going to make some noise, and teach others to do the same.

7 Likes

Agree.

The most important issue? Fundamental beliefs and disagreement about them or even their very existence. If you do not truly believe in them, or believe they are merely a matter of popular vote, you will not defend them.

“The sacred rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for, among old parchments, or musty records. They are written, as with a sun beam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself; and can never be erased or obscured by mortal power.” –Alexander Hamilton

The 2nd Amendment and the right to defend yourself and family – Unalienable or Inalienable?

"Unalienable" vs. "Inalienable": Is There A Difference? - Dictionary.com

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life [and the right to defend it], Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

The meaning of words is important. As is ultimate meaning and purpose. Do you believe in God-given UNALIENABLE rights or not? If you do not, then everything is a power-grab and there is no right or wrong. It’s only about power and who has it. How you got it is, under such a belief system, irrelevant.

4 Likes

I feel exactly the same way. And a big part of me hates this because I believe mentoring is important. And I say this as a person who would not have become what I am today without the involvement of many great mentors, especially during my formative years.

Without trying to start a culture war here, I believe a lot of this is a direct result of Millennials and their hangups. And unfortunately, I don’t see it changing. American culture is becoming more insular. Nothing good will come from this.

3 Likes

Don’t blame millennial’s for this one. This is squarely on the lawyers.
I taught my own children to shoot starting w/ weeks of No Ammo In The Room training at home until they could recite all 4 safety rules while clearing a jam with me “fighting” the dog in their field of view.
I can’t do that with another’s kids. My oldest daughter constantly has friends ask to come to the range with us but I can’t accept the liability; even if the range would allow non-related minors. Trying to coordinate schedules with their parents is a challenge to say the least.

I can’t remember the source of this quote, but to me it was spot on: “social media is weaponizing stupidity- all of your opinions with none of the facts”.

2 Likes

To me, it’s a combination of lack of knowledge, and misinformation. Misinformation is the perfect solution for lack of education if you are fuelling an agenda.

4 Likes

The :sheep: :sheep: will follow the narrative because it’s easier than actually thinking.

2 Likes

Lying and corrupt polititions and people who refuse to do their homework to find out the truth.

3 Likes

I think we need to go beyond statutory or obligatory concealed weapon permit training. We need to encourage what I call capable citizens. People who are ready and ABLE to defend in a life-threatening situation. The corollary is publicity and awareness that such trading carries great responsibility. That a capable citizen isn’t to be feared or ostracized; they are law-abiding common people who can and will take action when life and limb are on the line.

2 Likes

Welcome James. Interesting I think. What if on a national basis, our community developed a voluntary, not legally required - certification, via education and training, which would need to be renewed via ongoing training?

We’d likely have to pay privately, but it could mean that a portion of our community are of a higher caliber trained. It could add more quality to our community. Already, many CCL Permit trainers fit the bill, but what if they and others who are not “trainers/teachers” have a Certification we could aspire to? Those of us certified can become ambassadors, stewards, setting example for our greater community, and for our society as a whole, in a positive light. Just a thought.

I hope you’ve taken them through proper safety training too.

I agree with Aaron25 on all of his points

Define “proper” training.
They are both able to focus on the task at hand, keeping their weapons pointed in a safe direction & finger away from the trigger until ready to shoot. Despite whatever distractions I can throw at them.
I see many adults at various ranges who can’t do that…

1 Like

“Burdo”
Yes, I think I see your direction. I don’t want nor envision citizen vigilantes. I do want a neighborhood of citizens that are capable of going beyond “Neighborhood Watch.” Likened to the rural Volunteer Fire Fighters, our communities become first lines of defense while waiting badged authorities. The VFD patriots have been trained, they are responsive and they save lives.

Jim Edge

I have really seized on this concept. Imagine if every gun person was able to bring five “new” people into the fold of firearm ownership and financially supporting the cause

6 Likes