Well That Makes One.....(Universal Background Checks)

The only thing I disagree with is that a UBC would have prevented this. The shooter was determined to get a gun and kill people. He would have just found a way to steal a gun/ammo.
Since he was refused the purchase due to “mental health” issues, at least that is what I read, the ONLY REAL solution is that anyone too dangerous (mental or criminal) to have a gun should should not be free.

2 Likes

I am of the opinion that the same ability FFL holders have to vet a potential purchaser of a firearm be available to the public for any reason. If I am selling a gun I want to check that person out. If I am selling a dining room set that will require some unknown person to enter my house I want to check that person out. If I am selling a tool and we will meet in a parking lot I want to check that person out and they should have the same right to ask me for a “good guy” check. Drivers licenses have gone away from the SSN to a random generated number which is tied to your SSN and your background. Why not have that available to the general population for any manner of “good guy checks”?

You put the individual’s drivers license # in the “app” and “poof” you get a good to go or a no go along with a generated “transaction number”. If you are selling a gun keep it for 7 years just like a 4473 at an FFL. If you are selling a lawn mower you can keep it for however long you want.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

That brings up a question I’ve been wondering about. How does the ATF trace the gun back to Party A since under law the government supposedly cannot maintain records of gun ownership? Do they somehow go through the network of FFL dealers who maintain the records? I’ve heard about them tracing serial numbers of guns used in crime to the owner. Just curious how this process works. Sounds like maybe there is already an indirect registry for all commercial gun sales that could be accessed by the ATF in the event of a weapon ban.

3 Likes

Exactly @Danny10!

1 Like

@Danny10 The general rule of thumb is that the ATF/LEO go back to the MFG who maintains records of serial numbers, dates of MFG and which distributor, they were shipped to, Then they go to the distributor and so on until they get to the actual private purchase of the firearm. Per the law FFL’s are required to maintain the 4473’s for 7 years but they are also required to maintain a “bound ledger”. I’m a little fuzzy on the details of the contents of the ledger (it’s been a while and the rules have changed to allow “electronic ledgers”). From there they start knocking on doors and doing foot work. In truth guns don’t change hands very often.

MY quandary is if the gun in question was “manufactured” was it “marked”? If not how did they figure out who made it? I have seen more than a few 80% lowers and there isn’t a mark on them except “Pew” & “No Pew”

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

One more part to this, if you are an FFL and then you stop being an FFL, your ledgers have to go to the ATF. Not sure what they do with them but I’m guessing it’s not “shred after 7 years”.

2 Likes

From the ATF web site re: National Tracing Center

ATF’s National Tracing Center (NTC) is the only organization authorized to trace U.S. and foreign manufactured firearms for international, federal, State, and local law enforcement agencies. Its purpose is to provide investigative leads in the fight against violent crime and terrorism and to enhance public safety.

Firearms Tracing

Firearms tracing is the systematic tracking of the movement of a firearms recovered by law enforcement officials from its first sale by the manufacturer or importer through the distribution chain (wholesaler/retailer) to the first retail purchaser. Comprehensive firearms tracing is the routine tracing of every crime gun recovered within a geographic area or specific law enforcement jurisdiction.

eTrace

eTrace is a paperless firearm trace submission system that is readily accessible through the internet that provides the necessary utilities for submitting, retrieving, storing, and querying all firearms trace related information relative to the requestor’s agency. For more information about eTrace, contact the ATF’s National Tracing Center at 1-800-788-7133, extension 01540 or visit the eTrace Homepage to access your account.

Services of the NTC

Firearms trace requests may be submitted to any law enforcement agency in the course of a bona fide criminal investigation. Trace request forms (ATF F 3312.1, National Tracing Center Trace Request) are available online or by contacting the ATF National Tracing Center at 1-800-788-7133.

2 Likes

there is only one reason for universal background checks UBC’S EQUAL CONFISCATION that’s the real reason the devils-rats want them; a registration list of who what and where for confiscation. they are out to destroy the constitution and America

2 Likes