Weekend Drill: Non-Dominant Hand Wall Drill

We’ve talked a bunch recently about having an injured hand and needing to defend ourselves. Non-dominant hand training is very important but doesn’t always have to be done on the range.

The Wall Drill is an easy way to monitor and train to correct flinching and trigger discipline - and is a great drill for your non-dominant hand:

How close can you get to the wall with your dominant hand? With your non-dominant hand?

I’m left handed but growing up all of my Grandfathers rifles were right handed. So that’s how I learned to shoot.

I can shoot with either hand pretty equally.

When I go to the range this is the target I use.

The left side two targets I shoot with my left and the right with my right hand.
I also separate top and bottom.

Top using my 10 round mag and the bottom with using the 17 round mags with grip extenders.

The center I save for my carry ammo just to make sure that’s shooting the same.

Makes it easy to tell if I’m having an issue with a particular setup.

Sorry, the drill for today was the winter coat, draw from a holster, in 33 degrees freezing hand, shoot one handed drill.

I noticed a couple things in this video that are detrimental. On the very first time Mike presents the pistol he “pushes” over the target and then bounces to his aim to center. Then in the other iterations the pistol is not horizontal in it’s movement as it is angled up until he hit’s max extension. This is where “range practice” induces bad habits. If at anytime during his presentation of the weapon he was forced to immediately fire his round would have gone high into space.

From the holster to the center grip and to full extension it is imperative that the pistol be straight flat and level based on proprioception (awareness of the body in space). The up shot of this is that the pistol is pointed at the target the whole time. Learning to do this in real time is HARD. It is the EASY way to bring the pistol forward with the barrel inclined. It is HARD to maintain the flat muzzle profile that allows you to press the trigger accurately at any point during the presentation or as you get tuned up three/four times before the pistol is fully extended. Yes I mean you press the trigger two to three times before you EVER see the sights. With A LOT of practice, after rotating out of the holster you can fire accurately at any point in your draw, presentation and full extension if you can maintain that horizontal muzzle.

There are a lot of draw techniques, I have found those that bring the muzzle to orientation on the target and maintain that orientation through the draw to full extension provide a significant benefit in accuracy and speed.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes