Wannabe AR-15 owner reply

Thanks so much for the info, apologies for the late reply. Seems my some what estranged brother had ulterior motives. After him advising me to get one he offered to buy 2, one for him and the other for me. I guess they aren’t allowed in California and his idea was for me to bring it with me when I visited him and “gift” it to him! Wow, I know this has got to be illegal.
Since this post for helpful info, his life has went off the rails & his spouse begged me not to visit & they’ve split up for good and well, she had almost used the red flag type law on him, here I thought he had changed hitting 61 & becoming disabled but he hasn’t, my gut said wait & investigate and getting something for free isn’t truly free often.
I’m still interested in getting one and appreciate the tips and info.
Thank You all for the replies, Peace

3 Likes

Well this must have been an interesting thread :popcorn::cup_with_straw:

4 Likes

I’m learning that most folks have a lot more going on in their lives than I do!

4 Likes

Yeah that is pretty much a straight up straw purchase with a quid pro quo thrown in for good measure. That being said there is nothing preventing you from going down the dark evil road of building/buying an AR for your own purposes. They are as much fun as you can have with your clothes on and that is coming from a guy that really doesn’t like the platform all that much from a mechanical standpoint.

Hope all is well with you and gets better for your brother.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

What is your preferred rifle?

2 Likes

My preferred rifle is a bolt gun (Winchester M-70 to be precise) but that’s not what we’re talking about. From a mechanical standpoint I prefer a piston over barrel like the AK, HK-G3 or Galil. That said the AR platform can be updated to a piston system for ~$300 via the Osprey Piston kit. I was at SHOT Show when they were introduced and spoke with the engineer that designed it, stout stuff and retains all the good features of the AR and none of the bad.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes