Virus among Virus: Tips on Internet Security and How to Better Stay Protected

During this time it would almost be the last thing any American or Human Being world wide might think about.

HOWEVER, I’m not sure when I was hacked, but only became more clear after this pandemic started. I’ll lay out a few things that I’ve learned over the past few days and pray it helps and to stay PROTECTED from identity theft as for myself, not so lucky…

(A) I was sim swapped
-My security system was hacked
-Television [Smart TV] breached
-All Email Accounts
-Student Black Board Account with Student Email
-Data from my cellure phone for the whole month was used by them…[In other words, I don’t have 4G until next month]

(B) The Attacker got into my bank but was unable to send money[Assuming this was international, therefore, the bank declined to pay]

Tips Supplied By Equifax, Norton—Life Lock & and various others:
(1) Scammers are looking to steal your information most are susceptible to falling victim due to our current situation.
(2) Phishing Scams are those in-which they use numerous methods to pry certain information from you such as answers to security questions but not limited to tricking you out of passwords, users, and even bank account numbers.
NO REAL COMPANY would dare ask you for passwords to your account. THEY DON’T NEED THEM!
(3) IF asked to provide social, ask to verify another way such as Birthday, Phone number, or anything other than Social Security Number! IF it’s critical such as a bank, see if you may go to a branch directly.
(4) Report any suspicious behavior too authorities, and call any but one of the major credit burrows to freeze your credit.
(5) Change all and every password. DON’T USE THE SAME ONE TWICE!
(6) Senior Citizens have been prime targets. [Although, I’m 27 therefore, don’t be fooled by age]

Lastly, I was made aware of this one by a friend on social media, Her FaceBook account was hacked and the user sent all sorts of graphic messages to make others think it was her! Imagine if this was a co-worker, possibly boss! Worse than the loss of a job, loss of a friend…

YOU WOULD NEVER SEE THE MESSAGE but this could cause people to think the message in-which in my guess, not nice stuff, possibly perverted was YOU!

Scary stuff, but thankfully, I just dealt with headaches of securing my info but feel exposed…Like I walked out naked to the mailbox and back inside, speaking metaphorically.

4 Likes

@Randall318 - I’m sorry to hear you were hacked. It’s not a pleasant experience, I am sure.

Every item you listed is excellent advice. The only other thing I would add is - PAY ATTENTION. If anything seems odd or out of the ordinary, investigate at once.

2 Likes

I should have brother, @OldGnome and even though never been computer pro, usually good at spotting fraud or criminal intent but…

Somehow they got all kinds of my info…

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that you were hacked. SIM swapping is relatively new and extremely hard to detect up front. If I understand it correctly, hackers collect information by using phishing emails or scraping data from social media web sites. They then use this information to get your cellular provider to activate a new sim card on you cell phone account, which they use it to get around two factor authentication which most banks use today.

The tips you posted are good ones. I might add a bit of advice to anyone concerned about security. Consider using a password manager. I use 1Password, which stores all passwords in a digital vault and supports 2 factor authentication. It can generate random passwords up to 64 characters using numbers, capital letters, and special characters. The password is stored and can be entered automatically into the password field when logging into an account. Having the app enter the password also protects you from key logging scripts that hackers also use. Here is an example of a random password generated by 1Password.

bbXPoMnxGipN8gxor3pkxC2mcUkashDMyRhfo3TF79rtq2RLwdzpvPx9jzUgXxNZ

This one would be almost impossible to crack and even a super computer would take years to hack it by brute force.

I change my passwords often and have used this app for many years. The cost is less than $50 per year, which is well worth it to me.

2 Likes

I don’t trust Equifax for anything, after they decided to negligently lose my SSN to hackers.
I especially don’t trust hacking prevention tips from them.

I’m quite confused as to why it’s legal for Equifax and other PRIVATE COMPANIES to receive my SSN at time of assignment. I didn’t consent to that. I don’t think we can opt-out.

2 Likes

I used 1Password for years, but it was too difficult to maintain a single database across devices. I have migrated to https://www.dashlane.com/. It also offers to create crazy long and complex passwords.

1 Like

Thanks brother for the alert and I could imagine what people can do with your personal info. Hopefully you did resolve it. Stay strong and remember, NO WEAPON FORMED AGAINST YOU SHALL PROSPER.

1 Like

Thanks guys!

It means a LOT having support.

Now, my credit is not the 750 it once was…
So, lets just say they are not getting a piece of gum muchless a morgage…

But for the people on here or in our nation that actually could…
That would be a nightmare !!!

2 Likes