Virginia may be ground zero!

Nope! Perfect topic!

“Meet Virginia I can’t wait to
Meet Virginia, yeah e yeah hey hey hey!” —Train, 1998

My ex named my Glock, Yawonda…Although hers never had a name :thinking:

5 Likes
5 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: What did you name your gun?

If anyone in or around the Fredericksburg area would like to share a ride to Richmond tomorrow morning please drop me a line. I will be driving.

3 Likes

Made it to the General Assembly

8 Likes

This is the bloomberg funded agenda they want for the whole nation.

4 Likes

From VCDL Alert today:

This WSLS ad will begin running in the Roanoke and Charlottesville areas on Saturday. It will also run as an internet ad in the Eastern Shore area on Saturday.

6 Likes

They are certainly trying to overturn the Constitution. Amazes me the things the looney left can “find” in the Constitution, yet the are unable to find the Bill of Rights…if folks don’t wake up, and darn soon, it’s game, set, and match…

5 Likes

This new way forward thing is pretty scary - and in my opinion another reason to be armed.

https://videos.whatfinger.com/2020/02/07/have-you-heard-of-the-new-way-forward-act-you-should-probably-watch-this-tucker/

2 Likes

It looks like Gov. MaduroNortham is dead set on creating his own little kingdom of Virginiazuela. He, and all of his cronies need to be recalled/impeached.

5 Likes

Ouch…I’m sick.

2 Likes

In case you haven’t heard we got thrown out of the Full Committee meeting. A few hecklers started on Levin when he said HB 961 was totally constitutional…

The writing was on the wall with a clear party vote on other bad bills that made it through committee.

6 Likes

I just heard that this “assault” weapon bill passed in committee. Horrible news, but not unexpected. I just read a news article that stated the current AR owners will keep them and no registration required. The article only mentioned shotgun magazines restricted to 7 rounds. The WSLS article did not mention rifle or pistol magazines. Lastly, it seems that the actual floor vote may not pass, as some moderate dems allegedly don’t support it.

4 Likes

NRA Responds to Virginia Committee Passing ‘Assault’ Weapons and High Capacity Magazine Ban

4 Likes

@RocketPak

Links not working. :eyes:

3 Likes

I read that rifle and pistol magazines would be limited to 12 rounds… According to them, any mags higher than that must be destroyed, or transferred out of state.

I’m sure the bad guys will get right on that!

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20200207/virginia-gun-ban-rammed-through-committee

My father, brother and I are going to the VA “national gun show” next weekend, hopefully they don’t ban the sales of AR’s before then! I’d like to get a .223 upper, currently have .300 blackout.

5 Likes

Fixed it. Didn’t copy right.

4 Likes

@RocketPak

As time marched on. I am less and less hopeful for the future.

I am 6th generation military, my sperm donors family was a big deal in the Old South, and I have not been as bleak about the status of our country ever. I don’t know how we did it.

4 Likes

HB961 still has a long way to go…

3 Likes

I was talking with some friends today about this whole situation.

#1 I don’t know what the play is here.

As HB961 left the committee is very similar to SB16 that was withdrawn. It bans pretty much all common semi-auto pistols, rifles, and shotgun. If it passes, it will almost surely fail upon review by SCOTUS considering the Heller and McDonald decisions. I don’t use that phrase as a lot of people do when they say “it’s unconstitutional” (because shall not be infringed), I use it in the sense that SCOTUS has very recently said that people have a right to bear arms and you can’t ban things that are in common use and this bill would do exactly that. Additionally, the California magazine ban AND their assault weapon ban are also in the court system. Pretty sure the CA Mag Ban will get struck down, which will give another precedent for overturning this ban.

So even if they can pass it, as it is currently written it will surely get sued and overturned. Is that what they want? Why would they want that? If they tried to pass an AWB similar to other states, they’d probably get it passed and it would hold up against being overturned for at least as long as all the other states keep theirs (CA is the only one that might get kicked up to SCOTUS that I know of right now).

In order to get it passed, they are going to have to ask several Democratic representatives of rural areas to commit political suicide. Are they supposed to just “take one for the team” and fall on their sword to get this passed? Has Bloomberg & Co promised them unlimited funds in the next election to make sure they get re-elected no matter what? Do they think everyone will forget how they voted by the time elections come around again? Do they think that Virginia has turned completely blue and will never go back so they don’t need to worry about repercussions?

If even a couple of Dems vote against this, the bill is dead. What did they gain by bringing it up out of committee only to have it fail on the floor of the house or the floor of the Senate? Is it so they can get the few Dems who vote against it out next time (Bloomberg would fund Dem opponents)? Or they want to use this vote to push out a few more Republicans next election cycle?

So the only way it succeeds is to sacrifice a few Dem representatives and then hope it passes SCOTUS review. If it fails, you’ve given a HUGE boost to 2A groups not just in Virginia but across the country. I don’t understand this.

#2 How do we win
Had a convo with a pro-gun friend and a gun-neutral friend. I would say this gun-neutral friend is probably like the vast majority of the country that isn’t firmly entrenched in one side or the other of the 2A discussion.

His view was basically, if you have a firearm and your trained with it, then sure you can have one. But thought if you want one “just to have one” thats weird and irresponsible. He couldn’t see the need for an AR15 or 30round mags just to defend yourself. You can’t just have “anyone” walking around in public with it.

This point of view is likely because we live in safe neighborhoods, we work in safe neighborhoods, we travel to/from safe neighborhoods, our local news never shows crime (because we live in safe areas), so we never see a “need” to be armed because the reason (crime) never comes up. It’s a statistical “not happening”. On the flip side, we hear about mass shootings for weeks on end, with scary looking AR15s plastered on TV and so the only reason you can think of to own an AR15 is to go on a shooting spree.

The other part of the equation is that this gun-neutral is not a single-issue voter. Things like healthcare, education, taxes, etc take priority. 2A isn’t a priority because it’s not part of their daily life (see previous paragraph), so they won’t even call/email their elected officials to say “hey, i’m a democrat and I agree on a lot of things, but I think this gun-control is too far”.

Now this gun-neutral knows me and the other pro-gun friend. So he knows we are responsible gun owners and sure “we” can have whatever guns we want, but it’s all those others he doesn’t know that he’s worried about.

So the question is… how do you get regular people to help 2A? How do you get them to view gun-owners as common everyday normal people and not Yosemite Sams running around shooting everything?

4 Likes