Vehicle Emergency Preparedness

Same answer. I can slap on a tourniquet while I call for an ambulance, but I’m not performing surgery. I can put out a camp fire, but not a car fire. I’m only capable of assisting in basic emergencies, I’m not a firefighter or paramedic. I don’t equip myself for emergencies I can’t handle.

2 Likes

I don’t think a person packs a first-aid kit with intentions of performing surgery, or having a 4lb fire extinguisher expects putting out a fully involved vehicle fire. Situations happen, regardless of what can or can’t be handled.

3 Likes

Then I guess I’m the big dummy, today. :wink:

1 Like

Nah @Ouade5, constructive conversation.

1 Like

It is rough when you have a mechanical background, fire fighting experience, moderate medical training. I have helped people stranded in the middle of nowhere and I have been rescued out in the middle of nowhere. All I have to worry about will be stop the bleeding, keep them breathing. Diagnose the mechanical problem. Then do not pull out the weaners and marshmallows at a car fire, they will be un-edible . < make sure car is empty!

3 Likes

Todd - I had a similar experience with a VW Bus back in the 80’s. I used a metal coat hanger and a pair of plyers. It worked and I actually drove around a few days until I took it tot the mechanic. Could never do that these days.

2 Likes

Yes, I carry all of that, too. Add 4 triangle LED road flashers with multiple light patterns. And I have both a hacksaw for metal cutting and bow saw for downed tree cutting in the back of my truck.

1 Like

What’s the half-life of duct tape in a hot vehicle? Ditto the safety of a fire extinguisher.

3 Likes

Not really! But remember if you do carry emergency supplies of some sort but don’t or can’t use them, someone else may be able to use them. Remember its not only for you! At least think positive. Just like @G.Washington indicated.

4 Likes

Read my mind @Stanley7

LOL…Ditto that Lu-Can…except 1 pistolo instead of 2 pistolos for me!

2 Likes

Add a blanket, rain jacket and a gallon or so of water and you’ll have most of the common immediate emergencies covered and be better prepared than 90+% of the other drivers out there. I’d say your already well ahead of most with your current gear.

3 Likes

@Larry252 If you check your vehicle preps once a year you will catch any heat damage to your equipment.
I have a Chev. Blazer set up for off road, I keep all my preps in the back storage area covered with a heavy folded tarp to keep direct sun off and it keeps things cooler longer into the day and serves as a ground cloth and keeps prying eyes off my stuff. :+1:
P.S. I have had fire extinguishers in my vehicle for years, both aerosol and dry chemical with no problem.

6 Likes

Agree with @BRUCE26. Keeping things out of the sun makes everything last longer. If you live in a really hot and sunny environment dark ceramic tinting on the windows can be a big help though it is pricey.

2 Likes

I can vouch for that it gets rough in south louisiana and I do indeed love my tint it’s almost necessity

3 Likes

I think of my emergency supplies in two groups:
For the vehicle: tow rope, cable come-along, led flares, basic tool kit (screwdriver, pliers, ratchet & sockets), air pump, duct tape, tie wire, safety vest
For me: first aid kit, blanket, jacket, gloves, food & water, emergency tent, rope, spare eye glasses, multi-tool, flashlight with spare batteries, emergency radio, playing cards

I’m sure there’s more tucked in the bags in the back of my Jeep, but that’s all that’s coming to mind right now.

3 Likes

I live in the Coachella Valley California and ceramic tint is a must. I even have 50% tint on my front windshield even though it’s technically illegal but boy does it help at night with oncoming traffic and the sun during the day.

2 Likes

One great addition is a thing called a “Truckers Friend” which can be found on Amazon at some savings. Cheaper models are out their but this one is well worth the cost. A multi tool and a great weapon in a pinch.

@ G. Washington…At first I thought you were doing an inventory of my truck, but you missed my mechanics tool set and the 5 gallons of water (a must in the summertime in the Sonora Desert in southeast Arizona), a heavy duty tow strap and towing hook for my hitch receiver. I haven’t mounted a winch yet, but it’s coming. I’m also well armed.

2 Likes

Been a volunteer FF since 1959 … after training, always carried fire extinguisher & equipment to get them out of burning vehicle & Basic First Aid… beyond that phone to AAA or Good Sam, or 911 with proper location info…

1 Like