Vacation help (New York State)

My wife wants us to go visit her family in New York around Christmas this year. Obviously NY does not reciprocate with Michigan on CPLs. For this reason I’m not enthusiastic about going at all.

What are my EDC options for this trip? I don’t know anything about NY laws honestly.

1 Like

My advice to you Spence @Spence. Do not bring a gun to New York you will be put in jail and face big outrageous fines and put into their court system. Just trust nothing is going to happen and leave all guns, all ammunition, all magazines at home and anything that remotely smells like a gun at home. When you’re stopped it’s going to turn out very bad for you. Sorry to be Debbie Downer but they hate guns and people who think they have any rights.

2 Likes

I’m with @Robert8 on this one. Don’t take a firearm there.

Here are the laws for NY for you:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ny-gun-laws/

3 Likes

I know better than to bring my firearm. I’m looking for other EDC advice (knives, OC spray, tasers?, etc).

Frankly I really just want to say “Hell no, we aren’t going there.” I don’t think that would end well.

4 Likes

Invite the family to your house?

4 Likes

What she said☝️

2 Likes

@Spence What about a neutral third place in a warmer weather climate such as a place like Nashville? Nashville is the new Las Vegas. People are friendly, weather will be nice. Or Florida? You have many options since we are still about 90 days out

2 Likes

They come to our place twice a year. She wants to go there to introduce us (me and our 1yr old) to those who can’t or won’t travel.

That leaves neutral places out of the question unfortunately.

3 Likes

@Spence Well if nothing else makes for lively conversation. Didn’t know you had a one year old. Congratulations on that. Good luck to you.

1 Like

@Spence this is what I found on NY knife laws. New York State Knife Laws - American Knife & Tool Institute | American Knife and Tool Institute

Pepper spray in New York must have a label saying it’s for self defense and bought within the state of New York.

I’m not sure about tactical pens.

2 Likes

When I have traveled, I have found i helpful to contact the State Police, usually the department that does CCLs and ask them questions.

3 Likes

I know this is an old post, but glad i came across it. I want to visit my sisters in NY, and would be driving. Disappointed that i will have to leave my firearm at home.

If you want to see your family again and your headed for the communist country of New York, leave the gun, take the Canoli, also, you’ll need bail money and one of these!
FYI keep your head on a swivel. Or if you can master Krav Maga, you’ll be fine! It’s a jungle out there!

Nashville?! Crime stats in Nashville indicate he’ll probably need a firearm.