Traveling with an Firearm

Just slap a “Re-elect Newsome for Governer” and a Rainbow LGBTQ sticker on your luggage, you’ll be fine.

8 Likes

@Carlos75 Welcome to the community. If 10 rnd mags are available for your FN509, get some, it wouldn’t hurt especially for these new rules. I have A sig P320 with 17 rnd mags, but I also purchased 10 rnd mags simply for these purposes. Safe Travels!

4 Likes

Not really sure about passing through.

3 Likes

That’s why I would like to see State laws be less vague. The way I tend to interpret them is as for those that live in the State itself, not the passerby.
It would actually make more sense, as long as the magazine is not sold .

3 Likes

114 grandfathers in greater than 10rds but you can only have them at your residence. At the range, or your shooting event and transporting them unloaded locked in a separate case…

However, most Sheriffs and police agencies have already come out and statted they will not enforce the magazine limits (the 10rd or less capacity).

Only way I see them enforcing it, is if they get you doing something a lot worse…

4 Likes

Agree that’s how it should be. I’m just wary of the TSA due to those stories of them calling NYPD. I never understood why they did that, and it makes me mistrust them even more that they have no explanation.

3 Likes

Just sayin’…I would never make a decision based on, basically, “yes it’s illegal but I don’t think LE will enforce it on me”

5 Likes

Suggest reaching out to local gun shops at your destination to see if you could legally ship your firearms to them for pickup. The Catch 22 here will be you must meet the State’s legal requirements for purchasing the firearm you will be taking possession of. This might cost a little more, but you stand a better chance of being able to get your guns back. We have a lot of hunters come into our store here in NC that are going hunting “out west.” Where they have followed this process there has yet to be any problems.

2 Likes

I’ll bet that isn’t even an option, under federal regs, for a handgun. Handguns must go through an FFL in your own state of residence.

3 Likes

Nobody asked me, but that’s probably the least of your worries. The problem is the cities, not the forest.

Is there a reason why you want to spend your money in an anti 2-A location?
Texas is nice in December!

5 Likes

An old story of mine that comes under this heading, 1982 I was PCS ing while in the Army. Had bought 2 handguns at my Rod and Gun club at my Kaserne. Did all the proper Customs paperwork and such to be able to hand carry my handguns on the plane. I know! that is unheard of today. Anyway I got to Frankfurt Germany to catch my flight. They had to change my order because I was flying into JFK and having to catch a cab to La Guardia. They rerouted me through Charleston because of the hand guns. Imagine even having my handguns in a locked case traveling between airports in NYC

4 Likes

While I was on the subject of traveling had one other story you guys may find amusing. In 1975 we were allowed to go home for Christmas from Ft Knox. Was on a flight from Louisville to Greensboro NC. With a stop off in Atlanta. Well while at the PX at Knox. I decided to buy my Dad a Cig lighter. It was a Grenade that when pin was pulled the top would pop up and light a cig. I was traveling with a small awol bag it the gift wrapped in just basic travel gear. I want you guys to bear in mind this at the beginning of terrorist stuff going on in Europe.
Well the end of the story is me being pinned down on the floor in Atlanta for a Cig lighter. Just did make my flight after being brushed and apologized to. Don’t think there would even be an apology these day. Different times we will never see again

5 Likes

Every law enforcent officer will be in violation of 114 the moment they are off duty…

Considering their departments want their officers to carry their firearms off-duty, those firearms with their greater than 10rds are a direct violation of 114 unless they are on-duty…

If they are going to press charges on a citizen with a greater than 10, you can easily flip it and say, not even the police are following the law, if your going to charge me. You better be charging the all police doing the same…

4 Likes

Granted, I’m not wanting to be that first person they try a greater than 10 prosecution with, I have some 114 ready carry guns, strangely enough, my first firearm, a ruger P95PR.

Not even California complient mags would be legal in Oregon as they are reversible to their greater than 10rd capacity. So even if you carry a 10rd mag, most are still able to be converted to greater than 10rds and therefore still illegal…

I realized, thanks to a 10rd mag i already have for my P95PR, its a permanent 10rd mag, had the shop order a few more 10rd mags for it…

So even in the fine print, it is 114 complient, where most people think their lowered 10rd capacity is fine, still illegal under 114…

I’m doing my part to make sure I’m within the new law, even the fine print… For how bad 114 is, i cant imagine there are too many people actually doing the same at least when it comes to mag capacity for platforms that standard capacity is greater than 10rds…

2 Likes

What about .40 cal mags that one can use for 9mm? Those will fit more than 10 rounds of 9mm if it fits ten rounds of .40. So technically, even if you are using it for a .40 cal firearm, it can hold more than 10 rounds, just not in the caliber you are carrying. I have not read that law, nor am I a lawyer.

1 Like

Considering they are going so far as a 12ga shotguns, even if it cant actually shoot mini shells, if it can be loaded with more than 10 mini shells, its illegal…

I have the same problem…

I have stainless steel 30rd 556 mags, the only rounds i use them for is my 50 Beowulf, they will hold 10rds single stack.

So, my 10rd Single Stack 50 Beowulf mags, are 30rd 556 mags…

1 Like

Get some crayons and write on them that they are 10-round 50 Beowulf mags… :rofl: that’s about as much sense as that law makes. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I dont want to give them any ideas, like my 15rd 10mm mags will probably hold 50+ 22lr rounds… and is now ultra illegal…

6 Likes

You can try to flip it, I don’t think they will care.

NY ‘safe’ act was the same way.

They WILL charge you and they will NOT charge the police.

3 Likes

Well, for the time being, I am altering my carry to follow 114 guidelines to the letter on the magazine limits, so they if they try such enforcement, it wont be on me…

Applying the strict 10rd requirements, wont be easy, but do able.

2 Likes