Traveling from Texas to Florida

Hello all. I have been a member for a while trying to get details on traveling from Texas to Florida by car via I10. I know FL accepts Tx LTC holders but was wondering if anyone experienced anything during there travels that i need to be aware of. My family and I are driving there staying for a week at a beach house rental then returning. I carry concealed or in my truck console while in TX. Past vacations have been via air. Any helpful advise would be much appreciated. This is my first post so please donā€™t wound me to bad. LOL

8 Likes

Welcome to the community Robert. If you havenā€™t already you should download the USCCA App for your phone. It has a reciprocity tab so you can see what states honor your Texas license as well as a list of specific laws you need to follow for each State you may be passing through.

Have fun on your trip!

10 Likes

According to Texas Gun Laws & LTC | USCCA CCW Reciprocity Map(Last Updated 05/19/2021) (usconcealedcarry.com), your TX permit is valid through all the states you will traverse, but there are restrictions for Florida.

8 Likes

Looks like the only restriction in FL is that you are over 21 and have a TX resident carry permit.

As others have said, check out the laws for every state you are passing through or visiting for where/when you can and cannot carry.

Hope you enjoy yourself in our Sunshine State!

6 Likes

Enjoy FLORIDA, sir. Been here for 21 years and it welcomes all of you. Drive safely and be
safe. I 10 EAST is a straight shot.

4 Likes

@Robert386 welcome back to the fold brother, I see others has shown love before I got on so guess all I need to say is you and the family be safe, a wear and enjoy the vacation.

2 Likes

Avoid stopping in New Orleansā€¦ Your permit is good, but I have heard pretty high crime, and some of the police are not very 2A frindly. Other than that you should be good to go in Louisiana. Lake Charles has some good places to eat. :grinning:

3 Likes

I have a friend that just gave up on Lake Charles, he had lived there for years. He has had enough of the hurricanes and has moved to Maggie Valley, N.C. and loves it. He just has to get use to some of the rare snow.

3 Likes

Yeah, some folks were on their second or third remodel in a year when the last 17 inches or more of rain came last weekā€¦ Nice town when it is not underwater.

2 Likes

Yes, he was surrounded by water to start with.

1 Like

In Louisiana vehicle is extension of home, travel as usual no restriction.

2 Likes

I live in East Texas and we just went down to Pensacola last week. I carry everywhere itā€™s legal, and I didnā€™t have any trouble. To be safe just remember the saying about concealed means concealed. Hope you have a nice and safe trip.

2 Likes

While youā€™re there, why not get your Florida carry permit. You can make an appointment at any tax collector office, takes about a half hour.
Just check ahead and bring proper documents.

2 Likes

As someone else mentioned, check out the USCCA site for state by state gun laws. I just planned out a driving trip from Missouri to visit our son at Camp Lejeune, NC and used that site for every state we will visit. Any question or uncertainty, click the ā€˜chatā€™ button and a USCCA person will help you navigate the site.

This site is our ā€˜go toā€™ for pre-planning any trip, as we refuse to visit any state which does not honor our MO CCW. USCCA has done us a great service by making so much info, so easily available.

2 Likes

Hey Robert, Iā€™ve been a certified firearms instructor for about 12 years. One thing Iā€™ve learned after a ton of researchā€¦you canā€™t possibly know every firearms law or ordinance with every city, county or township you pass through. Some of my students traveled for their jobs or just for vacations. Some towns are okay but the one down the road may have a local ordinance against carry of any kind. Again there are literally thousands of federal gun laws (if you can stand it spend some time on the ATF website about thatā€¦it will make your eyes bleed!) You canā€™t possibly or humanely know every ā€œlawā€ or ordinance in every township.
The first time I drove to El Paso I emailed their local law enforcement to see if they were a reciprocity state. I got a reply within the day saying they were. You should be able to go to each states law enforcement agency and find out if they recognize your carry permit or what their in car allowances or restrictions are. Baring all that research and time see below.
Suggest you drive the speed limit and dutifully obey all traffic lawsā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes

I was down there a couple of yeas ago had no problems just a word to the wise they do allow concealed carry and what I mean is CONCEALED you canā€™t let you weapon show at any time or you are breaking the law

3 Likes

That is so crazy, sometimes one might print not knowing.

2 Likes

Hey , Robert386, Florida is a concealed carry state both in and out of your vehicle, in the vehicle it must be in a closed container of some kind, gun case, glove compartment or console or on your person if concealed. Thereā€™s 4+ million of us here, so enjoy.

2 Likes
CARRY IN VEHICLE?

Can you carry a concealed handgun in a vehicle in Florida?

Yes, with a Florida Concealed Weapons License or a CCW permit from a state that Florida honors. Without a license, the firearm or other weapon must be securely encased or otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. ā€œSecurely encasedā€ means in a glove compartment, locked or unlocked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, locked or unlocked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

[Fla. Stat. Ā§ 790.251]
[Fla. Stat. Ā§ 790.25(5)]

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/fl-gun-laws/

2 Likes

Nothing between Texas and Florida but love and welcoming states. Enjoy your trip.

3 Likes