Travel inside a 1000 mile radius, fly or drive?

wondering what the consensus is about the above ? if the trip is approx. 1000 mile maximum one way, who would just drive (my preference) or, who would fly ?

1 Like

If normal circumstances I would drive and perhaps split across 2 days. If urgent I would fly.

1 Like

Flying is a last resort for me. We drive from Arkansas to Michigan every year(avoiding Illinois) we just plan our stops and make the travel part of our vacation. old school road trips are way more fun than being herded into a bubble.

4 Likes

I would be inclined to drive. The trip is part of the adventure.

3 Likes

Drive, always drive. Nobody ever hit a mountain at 300 mph while riding in a Chevy.

I could be just the teensiest bit paranoid.

5 Likes

With the current situation if you really needed to travel I would drive. With the way things are getting shut down you could find yourself stranded at an airport or worse. Gasoline supplies seem more stable than flight schedules at the moment.

3 Likes

Fly for sure.
These days - drive :mask:

1 Like

Drive. No TSA in my driveway.

6 Likes

DRIVE! From my home in S. Tx. to our family’s ranch in the Tx Panhandle is 650 miles. I can do it in less than 10 hours with 1 comfort stop and 1 short meal. I do it many times each year.

To compare, flying: Home to airport is 45 mins. Check in at least 1 hour early. CRP to DFW is 1 hr 30 mins. Time between flights is at least 1 hour. DFW to Amarillo is 1hr 15mins. Rent car, get luggage, find car, load up, leave airport is 1 hr. Drive Amarillo to ranch is 1 hr 30 mins. TOTAL 8 hours–if all goes smoothly. And it NEVER goes smoothly!

3 Likes

If i’m traveling long distance I prefer to fly. I love flying but under the current circumstances you would never catch me on a commercial flight. We and i mean no-one knows what is comming from day to day right now. In this environment I want options to detour and on my terms as much as possible. If a plane detours you may not like or know where your next stop is. Eaven if my vehicle were to break down wth no help I am confident I can work out a solution. Not so in a strange city at an airport. Tools and extra fuel would accompany me on a road trip as well. It’s all about having OPTIONS. Travel at all rt now doesn’t seem to give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Good luck and God Speed.

2 Likes

That’s a tough one. I fly a lot, and usually keep my driving to under 650 miles unless I’m specifically looking for a road trip… so far the longest solo road trip I did was IL to NV, to TX, to CA, back to TX, and back to IL (I was originally going to continue on to New Orleans but there was a big crime spike).

It’s my understanding that the airlines customers are sparse at this time. Add to that the regulatory procedures they might be under for sanitation during these times, a 1 1/2 hour flight might be less prone to contanimation than a two day road trip with gas station food and motels of unkown patronage and cleaning standards. Add to that the round trip time before you get back home and flying might make sense.

On the flip side, Russia said they wouldn’t restrict oil supplies recently and oil (and therefore gas) should be much cheaper for the next few months.

1 Like

I drive. The last time I flew, I kinda freaked out, not sure why. I asked God to get me on the ground and I would not ask again. He did, and I will live up to my end of the bargain. :smile:

1 Like

Drive, every couple years I do a good 1500 miles one way.

Little over 2 years ago I did about 7000 miles over 17 days.

3 Likes

Depends on the situation. Today - drive 10000000%

Normally, depends on where I’m going and the firearm hassle of the airlines.

2 Likes

For several years now, always prefer to drive. I also have a truck & camper setup, so that certainly makes it easier. Flying used to be fun, but since 9/11 just an unfriendly, unfun hassle.

1 Like

Haven’t been on a plane since '84, and don’t plan on changing that status.

That’s a big box of Depends! Driving an economy car is likely more economical and practical…unless you’re going to Puerto Rico :rofl:

Current state of the world…drive

3 Likes

Bug out bag, nah.
Bug out TRUCK, DEFINITELY!

3 Likes

I LIKE where your head’s at …

2 Likes