Training Your Master Eye

Here’s a tip from the late, great Howard Hill: Focus on a single, distinct spot, and always look for that spot in your daily activities. When I trained myself to shoot handguns, I always RAISED the gun to meet the target spot and align its sights to get my sight-picture, while focusing both eyes on the spot. It’s easy to determine your master eye by taking a simple test, by the way. FYI

1 Like

That’s an eye dominance test. You can do it with gun sights or even easier is to take both your hands out in front of you and cross them in front of you so that there is a small hole between the webs of your hands. Look at something through the hole, then close one eye. If what you are looking at stays in your vision the open eye is your dominant eye, if it jumps to something else the eye you closed was dominant.

It is possible to train your non dominant eye to be dominant but it takes effort.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Use the Force, Luke.

2 Likes

That’s the “tunnel-test” I used decades-ago. If you look at some of Hill’s photos, you’d swear that his right/master eye was about to pop out of its socket!

:rofl: I’ve had some pretty comical arguments with several firearms instructors over the years about this one…which I eventually won, of course. It is very difficult to change and highly perishable in adults, but it is a bit easier and the gains are often permanent in adolescents. This needs to be a professional medical intervention by a qualified and experienced Optometrist who specializes in eye dominance/double-vision correction, but they assign exercises you do at home even to the children. I know. I was one of those children. And I have met several world class shooters and a couple of military pilots who have been through the treatments. I imagine there is a good chance that you and I have met a couple of the same folks who have purposefully retrained their eye dominance under medical supervision as adults.

Not sure what the problem is.

I didn’t retrain my eye under medical supervision but since I was medical and did the research mebby that counts. Much as your picture shows the key is you block the vision without blocking the light. In my case my left eye is very slightly stronger than my right (0.25 diopters) . I have always had exceptional vision and still have excellent distance vision but now my arms are too short to see anything up close (presbyopia). When I entered the Navy the Corpsman said “Read the smallest line you can.” ME: “P-R-I-N-T-E-D- I-N- U-S-A” Him: “What line are you reading?” ME “The bottom one on the left, The other one is I-S-B-N-#- #-#-#…” After the Doctor came in and I read his business card at the same distance they gave me 20/5 vision. Right now I’m about 20/15 distance and like 20/80 near. When were were training up for the 1994 National Matches the shooting coach kept pinging me for closing my left eye. So I struggled to keep them both open and ended up with a massive headache and my groups went to crap. One of the Warrant Officers that was on the Navy Team came over with a roll of “Scotch Tape” and put it on the left lens of my shooting glasses. Groups tightened up and no headache.

The permanent fix was to attach a piece of plastic milk jug to a “roach clip” and clip it on to the glasses. This worked well until I was at the 200 yard line at Dam Neck and the wind sent that little device sailing down range. The epiphany occurred, I could focus just fine with my right eye and I want to say I shot a 195 with a hand full of X’s after loosing it. At that time were were shooting 6 days a week and air rifles at home so I was constantly on the sights all the way up until the long range days at Camp Perry. I won the High Navy Long Range Iron Sights match with a 200 and a fist full of X’s. Loaded up my truck and went home. Deer season was a month or three away and I didn’t touch a rifle until then, low and behold my eyes were fighting each other again. I applied the milk jug patch and inside of 6 hours I was good again. So yes you CAN swap dominance but it has to be maintained. Another factor that made it easier for me was the very small difference in correction. Yes there is probably a very good chance I know some of the people you mentioned.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

That is classic Amblyopia but it is strange that his eye turns IN, usually the eye turns OUT. That being said the only guarantee in medicine is that there is always an exception to any rule.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

You know this is a comedian doing a fake photo op. I don’t think he really has the issue.

Amazingly I do know that it is Mike Myers and while I am not sure if it is Amblyopia or Strabismus it is HIGHLY unusual for a “normal” seeing adult to have independent control of their eyes (again there are exceptions). Most folks can go cross eyed to the middle but very few can go outward and less so with only one eye. I’m not going to invest any time in reviewing his films to determine if he has prism’s in his glasses or if they are “Harry Potter” glasses with no correction. Did I mention I worked in Eyeballs for 10 years?

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like