Training when not on the range

That’s a great video Dawn, it seems to be a great representation of what Bill drills are all about, I like to use them for draw and shoot, one or two shots most of the time, sometimes three, depends on how im feeling that day…

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused about the real purpose of the Bill Drill after watching the video.

The purpose of the drill is to increase your drawing speed and working to increase the number of accurate shots on the target. You’ll see that each time they draw, they’re increasing the number of shots they take.

Does that help, @KillJoy?

Mdstanzel, Bill drills are like a Dawn said, to increase speed and accuracy, so if you practice a basic draw and shoot, say 2 rounds, you will eventually build a muscle memory for that, I like to train using Mozambique method (2 center mass, 1 head), get yourself a range timer so you can keep track of your progress, it’s very important to know what your capable of Incase there’s a need to protect yourself. Here’s a link for a good timer, it’s the one I have.

That Mozambique Method sounds more like Assasin Method :rofl:

2 Likes

Im sure it looks foolish when i do it but to practice staying steady while moving, i use a bottle of water about half full. You can get a grip that is very similar to gripping a pistol and hold it like youre clearing the room or house and walk. The less the water move the steadier you are. I had to start slow now i can move at a pretty good pace and it directly translated to the range and live fire

Plus at a minimum you drank half a bottle of water.

3 Likes

Lol, I never knew about the Mozambique style of shooting until I started to compete, now I just do it a lot when I’m training so when I have to do it in competition, it’ll feel more natural for me. But in a real life situation, although it would be very effective, I’m not sure I would take that shot unless I was very tight to the inside and had no choice. Where I carry a .45 most of the time, 2 to center mass should be effective enough, but the muscle memory is always there for me. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

See more on this topic here: Training when you can't go to the range