Training when not on the range

I sit and watch Dirty Harry while dry fire practice with an empty shell casing balanced on top of the slide. I also do some draw practice from a holster in the living room. I look kind of like Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop 2, except I don’t shoot the screen.

2 Likes

I actually went to game stop on one of their sales, and bought so pop figures… they stand I’d say around 3" tall and they make great practice targets for multiple assailant training… think they ran me about $15 or $20 for 4…

3 Likes

@Tankrachet86, which So Pop characters are you shooting at? :laughing:

PSA for all USCCA Members:
For those of you looking for laser training, the USCCA has a partnership with Laser Ammo so our awesome members like you can take 10% off. You can see details in your USCCA Dashboard here: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/dashboard/partner-discounts

There are other discounts there too, including knives at the Ultimate Knife.com and a variety of holsters!

1 Like

Well my boy is into the heros and villan… but he can’t stand Harry potter… yea… Harry is a target in more than 1 universe!!

2 Likes

As an aging comic book entheuist that gives me an idea I should have thought of before. Print out comic book super villain paper targets.

He can’t stand Harry Potter? :worried::fearful::weary:

LOL! I was expecting you to say something more like Lex Luther or a Stormtrooper.

@Dawn
Or, maybe Mysterio. That fish bowl he wears could use some ventilation. He’s gone loopy from lack of oxygen. :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Hi Thad! We use the Itarget . It works with a smart phone or tablet and laser bullets. You do have to make sure there are not any other light sources making shadows or it will count as hits and of course, never on the bulls eye! They also sell weighted pellet guns that are modeled after certain models of Sig and glock but they are live fire and some cities / counties / states/ outlaw pellet guns so if you do go that route, make sure to check local laws. I have two and they do have some recoil.

1 Like

That sounds pretty sweet, I’ll check it out

1 Like

There are other apps in the app store. You may not have to have the I target system and just have a target. If you don’t want to invest a lot of money you may want to look into that first. I believe the laser bullets are on Amazon. On my P938, I have to keep racking my gun after every shot. You will have to push the bullet out through the barrel when done so don’t panic if it seems stuck at first. I kind of freaked at first until I got the hang of it. I also don’t read directions so that could have been part of the problem :slight_smile:

Groovey :+1: thanks for the info

1 Like

What are you folks thinking about good quality airsoft guns… green gas or Co2? I see that Sig has come out with a new one and I might drop the 179 bucks to get it just to do in expensive shoot and move drills. I do know from experience that even a $12 single shot airsoft gun will shoot out a tooth… so wear a mouth guard.

1 Like

@KevinM - Let’s do a video demo with the Sig airsoft guns??? :smiley: Pretty please??

1 Like

@KevinM
@Dawn

That would be pretty sweet :+1:

1 Like

I’ll work on Kevin when he gets back from the Shot show :wink: We’ll see what we can do!

I’d actually love to see that, as I am starting my 6 yr old out with a airsoft weapon first…

1 Like

That would definitely be worth seeing

Yes Dawn, I always have one in the pipe, most of my carry guns are M&Ps, I don’t think I own one that has an external safety, but on all M&Ps, there is a safety built into the trigger, it’s a hinged trigger and it can’t be fired unless the trigger is actually pulled. They also do an extensive drop test at S&W, they drop the gun from different heights to see if it will malfunction. For me, I have to be confident in the gun that I’m carrying, it can’t ever fail, it has to be quick for me, and very accurate for me and my way of shooting. Bill drills are a great way to find out if a gun is right for you. God bless.

2 Likes

That’s awesome, @Steve-G. I had to look up the Bill Drill - there are so many drills out there!

Here’s a reference video from the USCCA training team. Gun Shooting Drill: The Bill Drill Version 2 By Bill Wilson - YouTube

1 Like

I would also look up Dynamis alliance… I know I know how could I, but the guy is a former seal… he runs a company that does in person training with groups- hand to hand all the way to rifle marksmanship… but he also post videos on Twitter and Facebook on drills to run and repel attacks . Alot of knowledge on the guy

1 Like