Training dogs for defense

have you book marked it?

2 Likes

I soo miss my chow dog, so protective!! “you are so right” you don’t have to train them it’s in their breed and very loyal they are your family. :100::two_hearts:

3 Likes

@Malinda_Lee when I was a kid my aunt and uncle got a chow… he picked my cousin as his to guard. After that, if they wanted to spank Jim they had to lock the dog up first. He about ate his way through a door once because of that.

2 Likes

While I have trained mine for pheasant hunting they have not had any defense training. There is a lot of instinct to defend built in. If the kids are playing in the yard when a meter reader or delivery arrives they will always be between the kids and the stranger, no growling or barking as long as the distance is right. In 2012 I had a break in at the house and the liver GSP (Parker) managed to get out of the kennel in the backyard and followed the guy in the house, cutting short the burglary… only about 2 or 3 drawers in the kitchen were dumped and the rest of the house was untouched. Parker then rewarded himself by surfing the counter for a loaf of bread and cookies followed by a nap on the couch.

2 Likes

We’ve had shorthairs since 69 and have been breeding them since the seventies. I got very serious about breeding them in he late eighties and then it pretty well took over my life for about 25 years.

Among all the other qualities of the breed is their natural protective but not at all viscous instinct.

We now have dogs on six continents so that will give you an idea as to our level of experience with the breed. :grinning:

No attempt at advertising here but this is a legit charity. The pup featured is bred from our dogs in Africa. No pressure, but if you want to donate to them please do. Great people doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

@Dawn if you feel the need to delete this by all means do so but everyone needs an extra smile and laugh and it is a good, not for profit cause.

2 Likes

I think you expressed it perfectly. Properly socialized they draw a very reasonable line, that no one wants to cross.

2 Likes

@Greg1 good boy Parker! Did he get a chomp in?
I love dog’s brains … instinct is a fine thing.

I suspect he did, a neighbor witnessed the rapid “retreat” from the house.

1 Like

I think we’re all good with appropriate charity references :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well decades ago there was an issue, but responsible breeeders have worked very hard to remove those genes. I’m proud to say we’ve been a big part of that as have many of our friends and colleagues.

It does nothing but harm our interests as breeders for substandard/dangerous dogs to get into the population. One bad experience with the breed with their first dog can end any future hopes of them buying another.

2 Likes

Thanks, just trying as always to be completely transparent and let you do what you need to do.

Hope you got a chance to click on it, it’s a real heartwarming story.

Normally these step sibling puppy/“kitten” relationships last no more than 3-4 months because after that the cat tends to eat their brother/sister or just kill them in rough play.

Last I checked a couple of years in this pair remained inseparable.

Reminds me of a similar rescue where an Emu partnered up with a male hippo calf and they remained “buddies” well into the bull’s breeding years when they become incredibly dangerous.

They brought him a girlfriend eventually to breed with that was very aggressive towards the bird and the bull protected it like it a mother protecting her own calf.

Eventually though the hormones got the best of him and while they remained friends he figured out why God Made cows. :grinning:

2 Likes

@ Dawn Here was my last pup!

Murphy was an Irish Wolfhound. I trained him as a pup by talking to him. I told him to protect my family while I was deployed, over-and-over. He wouldn’t let anyone near our home while I was away. Only dog I knew that could effectively heard my horses, love my family and scare the daylights outa anyone when he stood up. 165 lbs. at his peak. Gentle Giant and heart of a warrior. Sad that he got cancer and died at 7.

6 Likes

I’ve always wanted an Irish Wolfhound. They are gorgeous, gentle, protective, and relatively low maintenance. But I know they don’t tend to live as long and I know that would break my heart.

I’ve been tempted so many times to get one.:pleading_face:

2 Likes

When Murphy was a puppy he pulled my western saddle off the stand and used the horn as a chew toy… Ate a large pizza in 45 seconds…only way we knew was a smudge of tomato sauce on his muzzle.

2 Likes

Irish Wolfhounds are amazing, I truly envy you. I’ve just never been able to make myself pull the trigger on getting one. As a breed they do not tend to make it past 8-10 years.

2 Likes