Three most important things in your bug out bag?

This is a really great question!!!

I cheated a little in that my multitool has a removeable flint attachement that I can start fires with. With that and a some paracord and water purification…I figure I can “McGyver” everything else (traps, shelter, slings, etc).

I have several bags at the house, one for each family member that’s about the size of a school backpack/daypack and has the essentials (actually mine and my son’s are our Scout Essentials packs)……I have a bag in the back of my truck that I’d consider a “get home bag” but it’s a medium sized pack, weighs almost 30lbs and is designed to get me through at least 72hrs of an emergency should I need to trek home from someplace, or get stuck in a snowstorm or get lost/stuck out in the back country somewhere (I would probably take it instead of my essentials pack in an emergency where we had to leave home).

We also have a family first aid bag for the house that can be thrown over the shoulder and taken quickly and I have a pretty serious first aid bag in the back of my truck (in addition to my bag) in case I come up on an accident and can render assistance.

Having said all of that the three most important things that you need to take with you don’t go in your bag…and that’s a brain, common sense, and some basic emergency knowledge (first aid, navigation, shelter building, etc). If I had to add a fourth, I’d say confidence…confidence that you’ll make it through whatever event you’re experiencing.

2 Likes

Water, shelter, fire.

Water= A couple sealed bottles, purifying straws, purifying tablets

Shelter= two space blankets and a length of poly baling twine

Fire= several butane lighters, waxed matches, flint and steel w/Char-cloth.

That’s the first layer.

Second layer

I ALWAYS have at least one midsize folding knife on me, bag has a large fixed blade knife and a stone. Also a bag hatchet, light but useful in butchery and small wood cutting/splitting. Some fish hooks and arrowheads. Paracord and fishing line.

The rest

Medical kit with trauma supplies, assortment of bandages, disinfectants, suture kit, scalpel, scissors, and assortment of analgesics and ointments.

Full size handgun and breakdown carbine of matching caliber. Ammo and magazines. Back up handgun with ammo. Fighting knife.

Small food, ie, energy bars, mre’s, soup packets.

Extra socks, mechanic’s gloves, 10mil nitrile gloves, shoelaces, tshirt.

I consider a BoB to be a short term solution which allows me to get to my more extensive long term preparations.

By the way, lots of medical supplies can be purchased right off the shelf at a good feed or farm supply store. Surgical kits, as well as individual scalpels, sutures, needles, complete syringes in many sizes, hemostats, etc. Also antibiotics (including injectables) disinfectants, sterilizing agents, bandages, wraps, and lots more. Nobody ever asked me any questions when buying these things, but they know me and know I have animals. It pays to be a regular and cultivate a relationship. Most of the farm supply chain stores don’t seem to care. Put it in your cart, take it to the cashier, and our the door.

Once I was at the local feed mill when the drug rep came in. We asked him why human antibiotic costs $75 a dose when the same drug packaged for farm use was $40 for a six ounce bottle. “Liability” was his answer. He said it was the same drug and if calf dies you pay a few hundred bucks. If somebody’s kid does you get hit for millions. A bit harsh, but makes sense.

4 Likes

Agree 100%

3 Likes

Let me guess…your idea of roughing it is staying at a Holiday Inn Express? lol.

2 Likes

Enough food for 3 days for each individual…

2 Likes

Funny, before I even got to the end I was thinking , "That ole boy must be in Texas or NM, HA!

1 Like

Add a “Ranger Handbook” to that and you’ll be not just prepared, but well prepared.

2 Likes

Then there is real hardcore. I say this after seeing how Katrina unfolded, knowing that Dorian is coming. Add to those 3 things everything you take from those who come to take from you!

2 Likes

I would put in survival food and a portable cooking stove.

2 Likes

3 day supply per person

2 Likes

I brought AOC and Nancy Pelosi because they plan to take care of everything for me!

4 Likes

Three days worth of food. My knife/multitool is always on my belt anyway.

2 Likes

Food - protein bars and beef jerky. Light and easy to keep you going for a while without having to hunt

2 Likes

The contents of a bug out bag depend on several factors. Being as I live within 30 miles of 3 of the great lakes that have dozens of rivers and streams I don’t need to carry water. Just a means to purify.

If I was needing to “bug out” from work and get home I can do it in 2 days (30 miles) without pushing too hard on foot. Everywhere I go a long the way will have water (one way is directly a long lake Michigan).

To bug out from work I could get away with a Sawyer water filter, leatherman wave and a lighter. In the summer anyway. Winter is a whole different story and is also why my bug out plans involve relocating to the warmer south. I hear Texas is nice in the winter…

1 Like

That’s not cheating that’s working smarter not harder!

3 Likes

Enough food for about a month

2 Likes

MRE’s pack easy!

1 Like

Ammo, first aid and water/purify. Many things are needed depending on location and pack as much as you can to be ready for anything

2 Likes

2 weeks worth

1 Like

When I see a bug out bag, I ask the people were they would bug out to that is range of the gas in their car. Most can not answer. I saw where someone ask a Green Beret about bugging out. His replied: realize you are going to die. So you spent years stocking up and leave it with a small bag?
I think if you live in a city, you are somewhat SOL to start with.
We left the city and built a home where Google maps has not found yet. We live in our bug out location. It is well stocked, fortified and our neighbor is retired Green Beret.
We keep enough in our cars to get home and know every back road in the area to get home.

4 Likes