Car Dump: Keeping your self safe in the car

Do you keep a bug-out bag in your car in case of an emergency? Do you also keep everyday items close at hand just in case?

I always have an extra sweatshirt, a phone charger and a flashlight…

What everyday or emergency supplies do you keep in your vehicle to help you stay safe?

2 Likes

What everyday or emergency supplies do you keep in your vehicle to help you stay safe?

A CAR IFAK, an IFAK for my car, a get home bag with hopefully enough supplies to get me home in case I have to leave car. Plus supplies we will just call other.

3 Likes

BOB or Get Home Bag… rations, blanket, fire starting materials, tarp and 550 cord, commercial grade trash bags ( use as tarp, shelter, poncho, or fill with leaves or something to give a pad between you and the ground)… actual ponchos, snow shovel, and spare clothes and ammo.

Plus.

Extras as needed.

3 Likes

I’ve always kept a get home, 5 day, pack in the trunk. It contains everything you need to survive for five days,. My area is prone to natural disasters. In that pack is everything from toothpaste to socks, from IFAK to nut bars. A second GO bag sits next to my safe and is ready to go in 30 seconds. The last time my wife and I had to evacuate, it took us 20 minutes from the time the DIRE requests came from our governor and family members screaming at us to leave. From the moment my decision was made, 20 minutes. From conscious decision to foot on the gas pedal.

Truthfully if the earth opened up I still would have taken the 30 seconds, for my weapons and ammo! Being pre-elderly it takes an extra minute or two, to the car.
Fire extinguisher and foul weather gear n passenger compartment.

4 Likes

A CAR IFAK, an IFAK for my car, a get home bag with hopefully enough supplies to get me home in case I have to leave car. Plus supplies we will just call other.
Same.

2 Likes

Not really. I have a work bag that generally stays in the car, and it has a lot of useful things like an IFAK and snivel gear, but it’s not a dedicated bug-out bag. In each car I keep a flashlight (or two), an small umbrella, a tow rope, jumper cables, reflectors, a seat-belt cutter, a Gerber hinderer EMT knife, a tourniquet, and maps. In Winter, I usually keep a blanket folded in the back seat. Just the usual stuff. Not really “self-defense” items per se, but basic things you may need if you or someone else needs assistance.

I remember a Park Ranger once telling me that everyone should keep a candle in the glove box. It’s not enough to keep you “warm,” but it could heat a cabin enough to keep you alive, and it gives off light at night so others can find you. I haven’t done that lately; it seems like glove boxes are smaller than they used to be. It’s a good idea in Winter, though.

My EDC is either on me or safe in the center console. I’ve never setup a fancy car holster.

EDIT: I’m not saying this is what anyone should do. The question wasn’t what we should have in the car.

3 Likes

I dont have a “Bag”, but keep a ton of things under the back seat of the truck. In fact the entire back seat of my truck is not passenger friendly. In addition to the things others have mentioned I keep a STOMP medical bag, a Very large fire extinguisher, spare gun and magazines in a safe, food… usually Mainstay, Datrix and SOS. All SOLARIS approved, non thirst provoking, Perhaps 3 gallons of water and a personal water filter, fire starting supplies, fix-a-flat, tool box, Tarps, air/exhaust jack, chains, cell phone, video camera, signaling and marking devices/equipment, compass and maps, NCB mask, 150’ 12mm climbing rope and several caribeaners and special dual pully block and tackle, tow strap, multiple flashlights and spare batteries plus battery charger, 12vdc to 120VAC inverter, spare cloths and sleeping bag, cash, spare glasses sun and prescription, callume sticks, electrical tape, gloves, rain gear, spare keys, space blankets, hydraulic jack, esbit stove, tube tent, breaker bar with socket to fit wheel nuts and lock, knives, shovel, saw and ??? stuff. Then, if I plan on being gone longer than the day I have 3 backpacks, one is another medical bag the other 2 survival packs should my self and a passenger have to hike out from where ever. Like I said, so much stuff my back seat is useless for a passenger. If I am going to get stuck, I want to do it comfortably.

3 Likes

I recently made a small car kit for both my wife and I. I put large surgical gauze pads, and a small first aid kit. I also purchased glass breakers to keep in both vehicles in case we ever need to break out, or need to break someone else out.

Just simple and affordable stuff that could hold us until first responders make it, or little stuff for cuts and bruises.

2 Likes